I got a stone leveling surface!!!

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My friend Al who does a lot of granite and stone work came through big time with a FREE 22" square of slate!
I just got through 2 way taping some 150 grit paper and leveled a Tempo 12" tom.
This Tempo drum is of the old "firewood" variety of drum, single ply luan with luan(?) re-rings. The edges appear to have been done with a chisel!
After leveling, I hand sanded the edges to approximate 45s with a big-ish round over. I had to take a file to the wrap that was close to the edge as cutting seemed sketchy on a single ply of soft wood.
Threw the hardware back on it and some used heads (dDrum stock reso, Ambassador batter.)
The thing sounds pretty darn good, great even. It would definitely not be practical to do professionally, but hand edging is legit if you have the time. This all took me about three and a half hours total.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
The drum sounds great. Congratulations! It sings more, laid on a piece of wood, than does the other drum.

Do you know what specs, if any the granite is milled to? If you have one milled to within a few 10,000ths of an inch, you have a great tool to verify the quality of your edge work. If an edge passes the flatness test on that, you know it's is true.

Did you run a flatness test on the granite after you did the work?

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did not. Good idea. And I don't know the spec for the stone; but wet, it is a smooth mirror. It seems pretty good even without that test though huh?
In tuning it I just brought it up a turn and evened it out on the reso, and a turn and a half on the top. No fiddling at all, and it was maybe easier even than my pro routered Keller 12".
Everyone should try this, it's do-able. Of course that luan is so soft and quick to sand, there's that.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I did not. Good idea. And I don't know the spec for the stone; but wet, it is a smooth mirror. It seems pretty good even without that test though huh?
In tuning it I just brought it up a turn and evened it out on the reso, and a turn and a half on the top. No fiddling at all, and it was maybe easier even than my pro routered Keller 12".
Everyone should try this, it's do-able. Of course that luan is so soft and quick to sand, there's that.
If I ever ended up messing around with an old MIJ kit, I always thought I'd give them the treatment I've seen around here; leveling and other edge work, then adding some kind of hardener to the entire shell.did the edges look good? Any gaps?
Didn't they use birch or something for the rings?

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "edges" were horrible, looked to have been done with a chisel. And not any type of harder wood on the rerings, same soft, dark wood- luan? All better now. That's another good idea to do some kind of treatment to the shell. Hmm, maybe a thinned poly coat on the inside?

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whew!!
I can see why people highly recommend using power tools.
However,
73A160F1-1946-4957-939E-0C1688843F91.jpeg

45A9126F-4264-49A5-9ECD-6497F5423A92.jpeg

i was able to put edges just the way I (think) want them to be.
Not gonna put the heads on today. Did I mention WHEW!? That was work, drums beat me today.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice job on those edges! I have a good source to get a sink cut out anytime I want, just need to do it. I have done the same thing with a piece of 3/4 plywood with good results but the granite slab is the cats meow. Great work!

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found some more issues when putting the bass together, keep you posted. Sounds good though, super mellow.
There's gonna have to be some structural repairs to the bass, then cosmetic blending and new spurs in the modern style.

Medium Size Dog

Reaction score
A nice piece of granite is great as long as you don't have to move it around too much. I have found that just about any 3/8" or 1/2" piece of tempered glass is pretty dead flat and fine for drum work. I've picked up curb side discards for myself and others. My commercial cabinet work netted me a freebie 24"x72" piece of 3/8" that's a dead flat surface I use as a table top and for checking drums or any chair or table legs that fit on it. I've picked up granite and marble pastry boards at thrift stores for cheap. Cut up new sanding belts and glue them onto the surface, a different grit on each side. The cloth backed belts last a lot longer than paper. Get one of those rubbery belt cleaners and it will last a long time. Got a metal supply place to cut some dead flat 10mm sheet aluminum (about 3/8") that I use with clamps to glue up my own veneers for cajon faces. Always on the lookout for cheap and free.