I got me a big ol' pre-war brass Ludwig snare, today.

Commodore

Reaction score
Just got a huge old six lug metal snare, 6 1/3" x 14 1/4" in size. Dang thing is heavy. It is supposed to be the pre-war era, but looks more like pre-WWI. Anyway, It is not marked Ludwig anywere but the strainer is a Tango (pat. '08) and mounts to the top rim as well as to the side. Did some research on DrumForum and saw that someone said old 6 lug snares were nothing special. The heads were calfskin but it's in good shape because it has always been in a case. Took it to my buddy who's gonna put new heads on it and drill it for a better butt and strainer that I had laying around. Metal is in nice shape so he's gonna polish it up real shiny while he's at it. Might chrome it, too! I'll post pictures when we're done...

I want one like Bun used to use in recording and tours. That one sounded great...

Last edited:

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just got a huge old six lug metal snare, 6 1/3" x 14 1/4" in size. Dang thing is heavy. It is supposed to be the pre-war era, but looks more like pre-WWI. Anyway, It's not marked Ludwig but the strainer is a Tango (pat. '08) and mounts to the top rim as well as to the side. Did some research on DrumForum and saw that someone said old 6 lug snares were nothing special. The heads were calfskin but in good shape. Took it to my buddy who's gonna put new heads on it and drill it for a better butt and strainer that I had laying around. Metal is in nice shape so he's gonna polish it up real shiny while he's at it. Might chrome it, too! I'll post pictures when we're done...
Drill it??

afwdrums

Reaction score
please post photos, we'd love to see it in it's "as-found" state!

and while I respect that it's your drum and thus feel you should ultimately do with it as you wish, I would very much recommend at least investigating what options you may have as far as the strainer goes before you drill new holes...there may be ways to get it how you'd like without drilling, or perhaps not, but once holes are drilled you can't un-drill them...folks here may have good ideas for you to avoid drilling

and yes, it's surely brass not bronze

mattmalloy66

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The someone who said 6 lugs drums were nothing special is just someone. Nobody special.
Some are certainly cheap offerings, but some are high quality shells and hardware, just 2 or 4 lugs shy of being considered "top shelf".
Have to tune them and try them.
Some are surprisingly good. Some are just terrible.

Last edited:

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would hold off on drilling until you see what options you have.

And six lugs just means it was a lower priced drum when it was built, but they are certainly desirable now.

afwdrums

Reaction score
ok, now I think you're trolling us man, or at least I hope so...that drum is in amazingly original condition, if you alter that in any way all I can say is that karma will not be kind to you...seriously, I take back what I said about "it's your drum, do what you wish", anything you do to that will be to it's detriment...please leave it be, it has made it more than 100 years in MUCH better shape than most like it...there are so many other drums to monkey with, this is not one of those

Last edited:

healthie1

Reaction score
I agree about keeping it original; esp. since you have the strainer and butt plate - it's part of the unique character of a drum of this age.

In some situations - I have a 16" ludwig concert tom I'm going to drill and make into a proper floor tom - I think drilling is okay. The difference is my drum is maybe worth $150; I have to think this drum is $500+?

Commodore

Reaction score
ok, now I think you're trolling us man, or at least I hope so...that drum is in amazingly original condition, if you alter that in any way all I can say is that karma will not be kind to you...seriously, I take back what I said about "it's your drum, do what you wish", anything you do to that will be to it's detriment...please leave it be, it's has made it more than 100 years in MUCH better shape than most like it...there are so many other drums to monkey with, this is not one of those
It plays fine and looks good, too But just looka the snares:
s-l1600-31.jpg

afwdrums

Reaction score
It plays fine and looks good, too But just looka the snares:
yeah, those are old school wires, and that might not be the sound you're looking for...you can take those off and run normal modern snare wires without altering the drum at all, you want a thinner set with fewer wires on this type of drum, like Puresound Concert 12 strands...you would use string to hold the wires and simply tie the ends of the string off to the existing butt and strainer, I can show you a photo of something similar if you don't follow what I'm suggesting...you can also put regular modern heads on if you'd like to take the calf ones off (save those and the original snares though), that will give you a more modern sound also

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looka, indeed. There are people here who can advise you on how to rig modern snares without wrecking - er, altering - the drum. They can also tip you on the strainer.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got a huge old six lug metal snare, 6 1/3" x 14 1/4" in size.
Interesting fractions : )

looks/maybe you could put modern snare set on that w/o touching a thing +/-

and like a Model T you'd have to crank-start the snares every time
"wind em up, wind em down".

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just got a huge old six lug metal snare, 6 1/3" x 14 1/4" in size. Dang thing is heavy. It is supposed to be the pre-war era, but looks more like pre-WWI. Anyway, It's not marked Ludwig but the strainer is a Tango (pat. '08) and mounts to the top rim as well as to the side. Did some research on DrumForum and saw that someone said old 6 lug snares were nothing special. The heads were calfskin but in good shape because it has always been in a case. Took it to my buddy who's gonna put new heads on it and drill it for a better butt and strainer that I had laying around. Metal is in nice shape so he's gonna polish it up real shiny while he's at it. Might chrome it, too! I'll post pictures when we're done...
Before and after?

PS: I see you already have.

gkrk

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That drum is worth more "as is" than it will ever be worth if ANYTHING is done to it (other than stringing some modern snare wires). And, well, you can try some modern heads. But keep/store those old wire-wound silk snare wires and the calfskin heads.