I got me a big ol' pre-war brass Ludwig snare, today.

Redfern

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have 50 posts...
You could always mod it to take an additional strainer in the rare cross snare pattern. That way you never miss a beat. It really helps when you hit slightly off center.

I’ve had 2 of those early cross strainer snares and oddly, they don’t bring much on the open market. At least the 6 lug versions don’t.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I understand wanting to make the drum more playable but recommend approaching it with the aim of making all mods reversible.

If you want modern heads make sure you can get them for a price you are willing to pay before making any other mods to the drum. After that try to mod the modern parts to fit the drum instead of the other way around.

I’m not familiar with the tango strainer but it looks from the way it grabs the snare wires that it would work fine as a butt plate with snare cord or strap. Then you would just need to figure out how to mount a more modern strainer using the two holes from the original butt plate.

Last edited:

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could easily add a modern throw and butt without modifying the drum at all. It would take a bit of creativity, but you could rig up a plate that you mount the throw/butt to, and then suspend it between the rims using claw hooks to attach it to the rim.

This is pretty rough, but it will give you an idea of what I mean.

Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 9.17.21 PM.png

Here is a REALLY rough sketch.

IMG_0022.JPG

Last edited:

Commodore

Reaction score
You could easily add a modern throw and butt without modifying the drum at all. It would take a bit of creativity, but you could rig up a plate that you mount the throw/butt to, and then suspend it between the rims using claw hooks to attach it to the rim.

This is pretty rough, but it will give you an idea of what I mean.

View attachment 523621
Thank you for this!

Redfern

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you know about the very, very early snares?
I honestly assumed you were trolling us with your initial post…is that not the case??? My post was in total jest…there are no cross snare drums…how the hell would that work???

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want one like Bun used to use in recording and tours. That one sounded great...
If I remember right Bun said that was a 4x14 "Dance" model which is an 8 lug drum with a more modern throw off.

I'd leave that one alone because it's in great shape. Pretty sure Bun would say the same thing.

Another question is whether it's a 1 piece or 2 piece shell? I suspect it's a one piece being probably a lower cost model originally. The two piece shells have a seam around the circumference at the center bead where the upper and lower halves are soldered together. The really desirable drums from this era (the Black Beauties, etc. including the Dance model) have the 2 piece shell and that is an important aspect of their sound. If that's a 1 piece shell then you can jimmy it up all you want but you're still probably not going to achieve that sound. You will destroy the value of what you have though.

I'm on the fence as to whether these posts are sincere or not but trying to turn a silk purse into a sow's ear isn't the best course of action here. Find a 2 piece shell that someone has already effed up and build whatever you want from there.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
NOB is nickel over brass. I never heard of a vintage bronze snare so I'm glad the photos clear that up. I'm not a fan of the old wires either. My 20's Black Beauty has modern wires on it but then again it did not come with the original wires. I've had a few old drums with those wires and I basically just take them off and put them in a pile. I prefer modern ones. I'm not sure about that throw off either. It may or may not function properly. Maybe for your bedroom or home studio. If you're going to do serious gigging, I'm not sure whether that drum would be up for it. I'm sure in the right context, you can definitely use it. I love vintage drums especially this kind. Great score either way. And I agree don't put extra holes in it. Play it for what it is. You can't take a Model T to the racetrack........

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a 6 lug shell similar to yours at the CT drum show maybe 15 years ago. With a modern throw on it and wires (I did not have the original) its a total keeper and a 6 lugger. I use it exclusively with this 80s sounding band I play in. Its dark and very sensitive...a total keeper...see if you can get newer wires on it...maybe think about having REMO make heads that fit...but i'll join the chorus of sell it before you drill it...if you mod it you may still not be happy

Commodore

Reaction score
Thanks!
IMG_1490.jpg
...I'm an inventor by profession. So, when I try to write normally, I go out of my way to NOT sound scientific, Then, I may come across as ignorant!

Got this in the mail this morning. Haven't opened it yet. Who it is from proves that I'm an inventor, Letters like this usually mean that you won't hear from me for a week. Don't think I'm ignoring this, though!

Last edited:

Commodore

Reaction score
If I remember right Bun said that was a 4x14 "Dance" model which is an 8 lug drum with a more modern throw off.

I'd leave that one alone because it's in great shape. Pretty sure Bun would say the same thing.

Another question is whether it's a 1 piece or 2 piece shell? I suspect it's a one piece being probably a lower cost model originally. The two piece shells have a seam around the circumference at the center bead where the upper and lower halves are soldered together. The really desirable drums from this era (the Black Beauties, etc. including the Dance model) have the 2 piece shell and that is an important aspect of their sound. If that's a 1 piece shell then you can jimmy it up all you want but you're still probably not going to achieve that sound. You will destroy the value of what you have though.

I'm on the fence as to whether these posts are sincere or not but trying to turn a silk purse into a sow's ear isn't the best course of action here. Find a 2 piece shell that someone has already effed up and build whatever you want from there.
It's a two piece shell. Over 6 inches overall height, 5 inch shell alone. Bun also had a 5 inch x 14 inch model, but 8 lug. This particular one is very, very early.
Six lug black beauties were produced 1914-1918. Eight lug Black Beauties began in 1922.....
1.+Ludwig_6Lug_Deluxe_1+copy.jpg

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Over six inches tall.
look you don't measure by the rims; when you have the heads..off .(soon I hope ; ).. Take pictures of the insides. The walls of the inner shell, the bead around the top edge (soldered all-around (or not... Then measure the shell looks like a 5" (+/-) X 14"
6L

Classic sounds great (will sound great) survivor

Commodore

Reaction score
I got a 6 lug shell similar to yours at the CT drum show maybe 15 years ago. With a modern throw on it and wires (I did not have the original) its a total keeper and a 6 lugger. I use it exclusively with this 80s sounding band I play in. Its dark and very sensitive...a total keeper...see if you can get newer wires on it...maybe think about having REMO make heads that fit...but i'll join the chorus of sell it before you drill it...if you mod it you may still not be happy
Sounds like a great snare you've got!
Snares are a little different from Toms. Both shells resonate. However, the total resonating mass of a snare is countered by the mass holding it together (and keeping if from resonating.) The heads are part of the resonating mass in both drum types, as well. In snares, this is hard to get exactly right unless the shells vastly outweigh the non-vibrating supporting structure. The less number of lugs that do the job holding it together, the better.
1914-ludwig-snare-drums-1.jpg

1918-ludwig-snare-drums-1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JDA

Commodore

Reaction score
look you don't measure by the rims; when you have the heads..off .(soon I hope ; ).. Take pictures of the insides. The walls of the inner shell, the bead around the top edge (soldered all-around (or not... Then measure the shell looks like a 5" (+/-) X 14"
6L

Classic sounds great (will sound great) survivor
IT'S a 2 piece shell...
There is written indication with the drum that this snare was the first Ludwig and Lugwig sold to Lyon and Healy (a long time Chicago Music store.)
Ludwig's 1911-1918 catalogs listed this one as the "ALL AROUND" model.
1918-ludwig-snare-drums-4.jpg

Last edited: