I got me a big ol' pre-war brass Ludwig snare, today.

Monday317

Reaction score
Just got a huge old six lug metal snare, 6 1/3" x 14 1/4" in size. Dang thing is heavy. It is supposed to be the pre-war era, but looks more like pre-WWI. Anyway, It's not marked Ludwig but the strainer is a Tango (pat. '08) and mounts to the top rim as well as to the side. Did some research on DrumForum and saw that someone said old 6 lug snares were nothing special. The heads were calfskin but in good shape because it has always been in a case. Took it to my buddy who's gonna put new heads on it and drill it for a better butt and strainer that I had laying around. Metal is in nice shape so he's gonna polish it up real shiny while he's at it. Might chrome it, too! I'll post pictures when we're done...
Sounds cool! I am building a kit from old Pearl Export shells (late 90’s, maple), had trouble finding a bass shell. Found a 28 x 14 marching bass and said, “Why not?”. They’ll know it’s ME playing by God..!

Reaction score
Just got a huge old six lug metal snare, 6 1/3" x 14 1/4" in size. Dang thing is heavy. It is supposed to be the pre-war era, but looks more like pre-WWI. Anyway, It's not marked Ludwig but the strainer is a Tango (pat. '08) and mounts to the top rim as well as to the side. Did some research on DrumForum and saw that someone said old 6 lug snares were nothing special. The heads were calfskin but in good shape because it has always been in a case. Took it to my buddy who's gonna put new heads on it and drill it for a better butt and strainer that I had laying around. Metal is in nice shape so he's gonna polish it up real shiny while he's at it. Might chrome it, too! I'll post pictures when we're done...
Look up Bonzoleum on YouTube and ask him. He's an expert on Ludwig snares. He can probably tell you exactly what you have.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I remember right Bun said that was a 4x14 "Dance" model which is an 8 lug drum with a more modern throw off.

I'd leave that one alone because it's in great shape. Pretty sure Bun would say the same thing.

Another question is whether it's a 1 piece or 2 piece shell? I suspect it's a one piece being probably a lower cost model originally. The two piece shells have a seam around the circumference at the center bead where the upper and lower halves are soldered together. The really desirable drums from this era (the Black Beauties, etc. including the Dance model) have the 2 piece shell and that is an important aspect of their sound. If that's a 1 piece shell then you can jimmy it up all you want but you're still probably not going to achieve that sound. You will destroy the value of what you have though.

I'm on the fence as to whether these posts are sincere or not but trying to turn a silk purse into a sow's ear isn't the best course of action here. Find a 2 piece shell that someone has already effed up and build whatever you want from there.
It's for sale.

yu3uiebr9iwuzcmyxzc4.jpg

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's DFO field trip to Donn Bennett's day!

pack a lunch.
Bus leaves at 12:45

Last edited:

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's DFO field trip to Donn Bennett's day!

pack a lunch.
Bus leaves at 12:45
I was looking at that Gretsch drum yesterday. Not a bad price for that drum really.