I got offered Ludwig Concert toms, Would you buy these?

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So first let me say that I'd have no use for them. I would probably sell them. They are brand new in their boxes. They are the 4 piece Ludwig concert toms 13", 14", 15" & 16" + the 2 stands. 7 ply birch & Italian poplar. These are a special order item from Ludwig and I looked them up and they retail for $1200. They are being offered to me for $500. Would you buy these? Is their even a resale market for these things?
Screenshot 2020-08-07 at 8.49.11 PM.png

hsosdrum

Reaction score
You need to decide if the money you'd make would be worth the time and bother it would be to sell them. If yes, then buy them; if no, then pass. Personally, my time and effort is worth way more than any profit I could get from such a deal, so I'd pass.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
and I don't believe that pic is what they look like unless you are counting backwards Lrod. That looks like 10/12/13/14 and would look nice over your bass drum

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whenever I try what your contemplating I end up keeping the gear I had no use for because it’s nice or sounds good. I have a whole huge closet full of the stuff. I say don’t do it.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
and I don't believe that pic is what they look like unless you are counting backwards Lrod. That looks like 10/12/13/14 and would look nice over your bass drum
The ones I'm being offered are the 13, 14, 15 & 16. That's a quick picture that I found online just to show what the model looks like. The actual ones have no pics since they are boxed. And no I'm not adding them to my kit. I think I've got enough already, LOL! Strictly would be an item to sell.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whenever I try what your contemplating I end up keeping the gear I had no use for because it’s nice or sounds good. I have a whole huge closet full of the stuff. I say don’t do it.
I think you have a very valid point, LOL!

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to decide if the money you'd make would be worth the time and bother it would be to sell them. If yes, then buy them; if no, then pass. Personally, my time and effort is worth way more than any profit I could get from such a deal, so I'd pass.
That's why I asked of their is a market. Shipping would be easy since they are factory boxed, sitting on them for a long time would be the hard part.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a reason you can buy them for $500
Possibly but that's not always the case. Lots of people sell stuff cheap just to get rid of it and make a quick buck. I'm not saying that's the case here but who knows. I just looked at the used market and the lowest I found was $135 for a single one without any stands. So I think $500 for a set of 4 with the stands brand new in the box is a pretty good deal.

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
For concert toms, I'd reckon those sizes are a lot less desirable than smaller ones. That's a close cluster of drums, and larger concert toms in general don't have as much of a difference from two-headed toms as the smaller drums do. I'd hard pass.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple thumb rules I use for concert toms. Once a bit used....they bring about half the value of a regular tom.....esp in the larger sizes of 13 to 16. Sizes 15 and 16 are tough to fit into a kit and actually play as they sit outside your floor toms. The 6,8,10,12 inch toms to the left are far more useful, and generally more musical imo. Stands are typically valued at $75 in nice condition.

On "vintage" concert toms such as say 1980's Tama Superstars in sizes 13-16.....I value them at about $65-$75 each. Similar numbers for 70's and 80's Slingerlands, Ludwigs, Rogers, etc. Easier to sell a stack of them than just a couple singles....unless they are the 6,8,10's. For a run of decent, quality vintage 13,14,15,16 concert toms from a major maker and 2 stands I'd figure about $350-$380.

Your retail price of $1200.....is that list or out the door at a store? I'd wager it's list price and they're $720 at the store. Once out the door, they are $400-$500. Even remaining new in the box, you might struggle to get your $500 back. And you pay tax on that too. Local resale markets are pretty tough on these....esp. in these CoVid times. You can't easily ship that stuff w/o losing more money.

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just gonna pass. I don't want to risk sitting on them and then I'll be opening them and keeping them, LOL!

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a "nope fish" for me... in this economy, $500 is most likley what they would sell for anyway and you would have already hit that ceiling in the acquisition. Not debating what thier worth, just pondering what they would sell for. Pass and save the energy for the next project.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you're being played. 'check the badges'
I believe you are being Set Up Lar.
By an outside force..
It's just too coincidental.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you're being played. 'check the badges'
I believe you are being Set Up Lar.
By an outside force..
It's just too coincidental.
Everything seems to match and it's a local deal. But I'm passing on them so no need to look into anything else.