I Got Rototoms Finally!

MntnMan62

Reaction score
I like how you incorporated the rotos into your kit since you already have the two small shell toms off to the left. enjoy your new toys. Rotos are great.

I first bought my two roto toms back when I was in college, so that would be the early 1980s. I bought a 10" and a 12". My kit back then was a 5 piece with two mounted toms and a floor tom. I put the two rotos above and to the left of the mounted toms and above the hi hat. I admit that I never really felt comfortable using them in that position and therefore never really pulled them out for gigs. So they sat in a closet unused. Then after I added a second floor tom and could not find a smaller 7x10 tom to match my kit, I decided I'd just use the 10" as my high tom. So, now it's a 6 piece. And I've incorporated it into my playing. But lately I've actually been thinking about adding a second kit and have thought about buying 14", 16" and 18" rotos to add to my 10" and 12" rotos and use them as my mounted and floor toms and I'd just get a 22" regular bass drum and a chrome snare to complete the kit. Something about that just puts a smile on my face.

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love my roto's. I have the typical Remo set of 3. I'd love a couple of those big one's like you got to put on the right side of my kit. Seem's like you got a great deal! Enjoy them!

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Awesome. I found a rare 10/12/14 combo last year. Pretty cool. Each mounted on it's own stand. I need to do a video.

mebeatee

Reaction score
Continuing from my previous post...it's about time...
I originally got them....full set...6-18, when I was playing in a band which consisted of 3 synth players and myself....we did mostly soundtracky kind of stuff and I wanted to be able to adjust turnings on the fly, while also cutting through all the synth textures.
I have no pix from that era, but after that I tried them out with the outfit in the pic and they cut through the wall of amps quite nicely.
Here's a pic from the early '80's with roto's....10,12,14,16 w/black spokes, mounted on a Collarlock bar system (off Ludwig Atlas cymbal stands). Milestone bd and snare. The drums and Collarlock were made locally when I lived in Vancouver, so it was very nice to work with the makers as the roto mounts were prototypes.
I still have and use them, plus have 14 and 18 roto's with chrome spokes. However I don't augment a regular kit with roto's....I keep them as separate instruments.....the black ones as a quasi small set of "tarang"' and the chrome ones as mini tymps.
bt

Attachments

MntnMan62

Reaction score
Seeing what appears to be a blanket draped over your bass drum reminded me of someone else who played rotos and draped his drums with stuff, in this case plastic, I think.

image.png

samsdrum

Reaction score
Are these mounted separately? What are you using to get them to sit that flat? I have a 16" I want to mount over my floor tom but not sure how to do it. I only have the roto tom, no bar or stand. I have it in a cymbal boom stand right now. It works but it is on more of a slant than I would like.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd love to find a couple larger ones like that, but not so pricey. I've always enjoyed rototoms

LBCD

Reaction score
Congrats!
I got my first set 6,8,10 back in the 80’s due to seeing INXS live and the roto’s were amazing!
This was my 80’s cover band set up from about 8 years ago. Got them at Rupps...they had a deal I couldn’t resist.

D5DAA5BD-DE56-44CF-A7C3-F0FA74F1A0B8.jpeg

Last edited:

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Are the larger sizes still being made? I see a lot of the 6-8-10 configurations being offered as "new," but not the larger sizes.

MntnMan62

Reaction score
Are the larger sizes still being made? I see a lot of the 6-8-10 configurations being offered as "new," but not the larger sizes.
I've been looking to add to my two that I have. I bought a 10" and 12" back in the 80's while I was still in high school but never really used them. Then more recently I've set up the 10" as part of my regular kit so that I have the 10" roto added to 12", 13", 14" and 16" regular toms. But I've been thinking of building a kit using just a bass drum and snare and all roto toms. So I'd want to get a 14", 16" and 18" roto tom to add to the 10" and 12" I already have. I see lots of new sets with 6", 8" and 10" as well as sets with 8", 10" and 12". But you're right. I have not seen new larger sized rotos.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Only 6, 8, 10 combo is still in production. No other big sizes unfortunately.

fibes3

Reaction score
12, 14, and 16 are/were available at Steve Weiss Music.
The last I read, the 16's are on back order from the overseas manufacturer until later in the year.

As far as I know the 18's are close to impossible to get. When they are available, they are prohibitively expensive ( in my opinion ).
Unfortunately Steve Weiss Music has no plans to manufacture the 18.
If anyone knows how to cast Aluminum maybe a group of us can make an 18 !

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Congrats!
I got my first set 6,8,10 back in the 80’s due to seeing INXS live and the roto’s were amazing!
This was my 80’s cover band set up from about 8 years ago. Got them at Rupps...they had a deal I couldn’t resist.

View attachment 439129

Do you have them mounted with Pearl tom mounts? You can't still spin them though can you?

LBCD

Reaction score
Do you have them mounted with Pearl tom mounts? You can't still spin them though can you?
Yes the pearl mounts work great, they still can tune. I cut down the tuning rod a couple inches so the toms can sit not too high above the kick.

bernard

Reaction score
Yes the pearl mounts work great, they still can tune. I cut down the tuning rod a couple inches so the toms can sit not too high above the kick.
That's a great idea, I never liked the way they mounted to the tuning rod.

Latest posts