I got some 70's New Beats, but is the top hi-hat keyholed as I am seeing?

bonecock

Reaction score
forgot to mention as well, they two pics are of the top hi hat.

please guys, i need more opinion, i'm scared.

Ghostin one

Reaction score
They look used - I don't see a problem. $120 is not a bad price for any decent pair of hats in my world. They're probably great cymbals. Do you like them?

bonecock

Reaction score
They look used - I don't see a problem. $120 is not a bad price for any decent pair of hats in my world. They're probably great cymbals. Do you like them?
Yea they sound nice and the chick is super crisp. im just worried now because i dont want the keyholing to get worse, my hi hat stand is a 80s premier hi hat stand and the hi hat clutch doesnt have a rubber sleeve or nothin. what do

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The right gear usually finds the right player. I say play them and enjoy them and make some music. They were built for that and so were you.

Reactions: egw

bonecock

Reaction score
The right gear usually finds the right player. I say play them and enjoy them and make some music. They were built for that and so were you.
should i seek to put a rubber sleeve or something on my hi hat clutch?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
No. Just felts and firm. No play. Not tight. Just firm. No play. Play is what will oval the holes
Scraping up and down.
Felts. Firm.
Can wrap some electrical tape once around clutch.
Felts. Firm. No large play.

bonecock

Reaction score
No. Just felts and firm. No play. Not tight. Just firm. No play. Play is what will oval the holes
Scraping up and down.
Felts. Firm.
Can wrap some electrical tape once around clutch.
Felts. Firm. No large play.
should the top hat not move at all in the clutch?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Maybe like a half inch of wiggle?
Listen. Depending on the clutch you have. I hope you have a good one like a Yamaha. Ok.
The bottom nut on the clutch goes all the way up tight. Then there's a felt. Then there's the top cymbal. Then there's another the top felt.

Above that usually are two lock nuts. Bring/ screw those down MEDIUM snug.

Lock them.
No 1/2" is too much More like 1/16" or 1/8"

You want the majority of the "play" to be --within--- the "felts".

bonecock

Reaction score
I'm going to wrap that portion with some electrical tape, will it dampen the cymbal much?

drumstuff66

Reaction score
should i seek to put a rubber sleeve or something on my hi hat clutch?
Great advice so far...Electrical tape will work - could get a little chewed up and nasty after a while I guess, but plenty of guys do it. I picked up the REMO Quick Lock Clutch last year and I love it. The pics don't show it, but it has a smooth post, NOT threaded. Smooth, clean, easy to use - no need for tape all over it. Last clutch I'll ever need. I think Gibraltar makes a version as well...

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Any chance this is an early April Fool's thread? I'll bite though.

Hole could be "faintly" ovaled....which would be very normal for 40 yrs of use. My New Beats I bought new in the early 70's and both hats show very faint ovaling even though I was good about felts and plastic bottom cup. But a few years back I noted my 1984 Tama hi hat plastic protector wore through and the bottom cymbal was getting direct metal to metal contact with the shaft. Fixed it. And that's a smooth vertical shaft performing that wear.

Measure the 1/2" hole (12.7 mm) in different directions. If there's any variation above 1/2" then some faint wear. That's not considered key holed. And few buyers would have any issue with your top cymbal bell hole.

Ideally both of your new beat hats have the hollow Zildjian ink logo. Though with polishing that will often disappear along with the "new beat" ink stamps. New Beat tops and bottoms will usually have a 300-500 gm weight spread....typically 800-1050 gm top / 1150-1500 gm bottom. If your cymbals have similar toning, similar labels, and a normal weight difference, they are probably an orig pair of New Beats. At some point Zildjian was also stamping the top cymbal as "top" or "new beat." A put together pair that don't quite match would be worth slightly less than an original pairing. Depending on how clean or beat up a New Beat 14" pair is....they can run from $80 to $150. And that's based on the remaining original brilliance of the cymbals, marks and cuts, clarity of ink stamps, and the weightings.

https://black.net.nz/avedis/new-beats.html

You can read up in more detail and accuracy on New Beat hi hats by reading Zenstat's article above.

Last edited:

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Any chance this is an early April Fool's thread? I'll bite though.

Hole could be "faintly" ovaled....which would be very normal for 40 yrs of use. My New Beats I bought new in the early 70's and both hats show very faint ovaling even though I was good about felts and plastic bottom cup. But a few years back I noted my 1984 Tama hi hat plastic protector wore through and the bottom cymbal was getting direct metal to metal contact with the shaft. Fixed it.

Measure the 1/2" hole (12.7 mm) in different directions. If there's any variation above 1/2" then some faint wear. That's not considered key holed. And few buyers would have any issue with your top cymbal bell hole.

Ideally both of your new beat hats have the hollow Zildjian ink logo. Though with polishing that will often disappear along with the "new beat" ink stamps. New Beat tops and bottoms will usually have a 300-500 gm weight spread....typically 800-1050 gm top / 1150-1500 gm bottom. If your cymbals have similar toning, similar labels, and a normal weight difference, they are probably an orig pair of New Beats. At some point Zildjian was also stamping the top cymbal as "top" or "new beat." A put together pair that don't quite match would be worth slightly less than an original pairing. Depending on how clean or beat up a New Beat 14" pair is....they can run from $80 to $150. And that's based on the remaining original brilliance of the cymbals, marks and cuts, clarity of ink stamps, and the weightings.

https://black.net.nz/avedis/new-beats.html

You can read up in more detail and accuracy on New Beat hi hats by reading Zenstat's article above.
Thanks CW....

My thoughts exactly regarding “key holing” etc.

Latest posts