I got some new toys!

Jimmy Willis

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was fortunate to snag a vintage Ludwig amber vistalite kit. B/O badges, rail and cymbal mount holder. I never thought I would like the sound of vistalites but being a big Bonham fan I wanted a set to add to my Ludwig collection. I enjoy the sound of these drums! Great big 26' bass drum that sounds like a cannon. I put a felt strip in the bass drum because when I first started playing them my wife said that the pictures in the upstairs living room were falling off the walls. I'm really enjoying the heck out of these. I know the hardware is not correct but I can only afford to invest so much. The drums were quite and investment!

Reother

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thats a truly beautiful drum kit. That is a genuine Bonham kit, I think he had a rail too. `

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
mmmm,air hockey, love it. great set jimmy. beautiful stuff. own a couple of ghost pedals myself. i loved what your wife said about the pictures on the wall. bet it does sound good. enjoy!!

mike

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Troy- that looks like a 70's kit, not a reissue(spurs, badges, 12 lug tom), so the rail is most likely original- COOL DRUMS!!!! :D

katfish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Beautiful set of drums! Bonzo would've been very proud! :notworthy:

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
Congratulations, Jimmy on your beautiful new kit! Ya gotta love a 26" bass drum! I had to stick some foam underneath my CD player because mine kept making it skip! :lol:

Jimmy Willis

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the nice comments! Yes this is a vintage kit. It has the 70's spurs and hardware. 6 lug 14' tom and not an 8 lug like the reissues. According to the previous owner, the bass drum was a virgin and he wanted to make it a true Bonham kit so he snagged a 70's rail and had it put on along with a cymbal holer. The cymbal mount is the later style Ludwig mount. I'm having a great time playing them.

Jimmy Willis

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks again guys for the kind comments! I was really fortunate to get these. The drums are the Bonham sizes with the 14x26 kick, 14' mounted tom and 16 and 18 floor toms. I had a 6.5 B/O badge that I bought at the chicago show last year. I bought the Rogers hi hat stand at the Chicago show this year. I already had the Ludwig Atlas stands. I do own a speed king but prefer playing a ghost when I play the kit. Vistalites have a unique sound. There really loud and punchy!

ricco

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Blue is my favorite color, but those are beautiful. The amber(?) color looks very fitting for Vistalites, more so than other colors, IMO.

Latest posts