I Got Yer Patina....

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I got yer patina... RIGHT HERE....

Pulling the old Paiste 2002 cymbal set out of the *spoiler alert * Anvil foam-lined case after an almost thirty-year rest, I was presented with a patina on a whole 'nutha level.

Paiste_Patina.JPG

I think there's more than a few of us in here that have owned Anvil foam lined cases that got some surprises they didn't really count on.
I had one of my 26" bass drums in a Anvil case that had dissolving foam as well that got cleaned out last year... but, I forgot about the cymbal case.

Tomorrow I'll give these cymbals a good hot-soapy soaking before trying to clean this schmutz off... hopefully I won't need to take the belt sander to them!

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
More like barnacles!
I’ve had some Calzone cases from the early 80’s same thing w the rotting foam, very messy situation

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow! I hope you can get that off without damaging the cymbal! I imagine it must be a very hard crust?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmm low psi power washer..don't squeeze the handle.
Betcha "funny color" under that foam..Im' thinking umm burgundy..
Be lucky (if) no color-change. Then you'd been safe all these years.

Whats on that china cup on the right? Was that area covered in foam.
B8 tarnishes -up different than B20 but ..whew nasty event.

Last edited:

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You'll damage the Paiste protective coating if you clean that off! :p

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow! I hope you can get that off without damaging the cymbal! I imagine it must be a very hard crust?

The bulk of it is super soft and crumbly... leaves some residue akin to glue. I didn't want to touch it till I got it over a trash can, because it is messy!

just for grins, you should attempt to play it and listen for the sound character that has developed..... you only have this type of opportunity once!!! ;^)

I was so tempted to do this but was afraid of knock that stuff off onto the carpet... would dread that clean-up.

Betcha "funny color" under that foam..Im' thinking umm burgundy... Be lucky (if) no color-change. Then you'd been safe all these years.
Whats on that china cup on the right? Was that area covered in foam.

Some of the other cymbals in the case had a slightly-off color even though they didn't contact the foam... maybe proximity to the foam VOC or normal oxidation? That China Type cup was contacting the type of the case.
These cymbals will most certainly have a color change... hopefully a polish session will bring them back to normal.
In my earlier years I loved to have these pies free of fingerprints, all polished and shiny... didn't even know that they had a light clear coat on them, which I'm sure I polished off with my frequent "Brasso" massages.

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had a 70's Zildjian cymbal with that old dried and crusted flourescent green....probably sat for 5-15 yrs I think some fluid was spilled on it during storage in a garage or basement and was never properly cleaned off. After 2 hours of working on it - it was fully brilliant again. But a shadow remained on the cymbal where the green had been. Light green will clean up easier than dark green.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, I'm a big fan of follow-ups, so I thought that I'd do one of my own. This foam funk was difficult to get off to say the least!

I washed the cymbals with a blast of full strength of Dawn, followed by a "Orange" type natural degreaser and a sud session with Dawn. I did resort to employing a nylon bristle brush as well to help with the debris and residue.

I used to use FoMoCo's Bright Metal Cleaner as it works through chemical reaction vs. elbow grease, but I couldn't find the dang can! So I tried a first pass with No. 7 Chrome (& Metal) polish. It didn't really do that well, so I decided to bust out the Tarn-X and do a quick pass and a sud session (just on the 22"). That just pulled the more light surface oxidation but left the major discoloration there. So I used the No. 7 again with some elbow grease and finally saw some changes.

I got a fair bit of the discoloration off, but I have still more to go, which I'll do at a later session.... would have been nice to have a rotating/spinning surface to do the high-speed polish thing but I aint got one of those things. I followed up with a Teflon type auto polish on the cymbals as well.

CYM_After-Degrease_22-16_1.jpg CYM_After-Polish_22-16_1.jpg CYM_After-Polish_22-16_Close_1.jpg CYM_After-Polish_22_Close_1.jpg CYM_After-Polish_16_Close_1.jpg

Z

zenstat

I don't usually clean cymbals but in that case I would have made an exception. You did a heroic job.

Compared to yours I fell a bit silly for being worried about couple of little spots on my Trad Medium Ride where I suspect somebody dripped sweat (or beer?) and it ate through the Paiste protective coating. We're talking about 7 mm across for the large spot. Call me Mr Fussy.

Trad-Medium-Probs.jpg

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mr. Fussy! I hear ya! I like to keep things in that unused/like new condition too (and I unfortunately overly obsesses on the tiniest of details).
When I first got my cymbals I didn't know that they had a clear coat and used harsh chemicals / polishes with abrasives like Brasso. So, on the black label cymbals I have, the clear coat is certainly long gone. The red label/ early 80's cymbals got a much nicer treatment right from the start and are thus have been far easier to maintain.

I wish Paiste had a service to recondition their cymbals: Polish, reapply paint labels, clear coat... I'd jump on that in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

K.BRN_Percussion_Series

Reaction score
Great job restoring them though. From the pictures, at least the little but of discoloration is on the underside of the cymbal so it's not as much of an eye sore.