I had an audition tonight, I'm in a new band.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in two bands for years, one was very busy, and the other was busy enough.

Near the end of last year both bands fizzled. Honestly, one I was glad was done. I took a few months and was ready to audition for this new band in March when the world shut down. We just reconnected this past week and tonight I auditioned. It was one of those situations where you play the first song and all look each other and go, "Oh yeah, this is going to work out fine."

I really missed playing with a band. I've been doing this forty-five years. I have to admit, I wondered briefly if my run was over. Tonight I'm thinking that I might have a few years of gigging left in me. :D

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good for you.
What type of music?

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good for you.
What type of music?
It is doing classic rock covers behind a female lead vocalist. So, Pat Benatar, Fleetwood Mac, Blondie, Heart, The Pretenders, Joan Jett, Foreigner, Cheap Trick...

I've played behind female Vocalists before, but doing pop standards, or country rock. So, it was fun to play some of these songs for the first time. Nothing tough, simple stuff for the most part.

They are good players that have played together for years, with a new singer, and a new drummer. (Me.) Their previous drummer passed away the end of last year. The lead guitarist, bassist, and original drummer had played together on and off since they were teenagers in the eighties.

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow. Those are big shoes to fill. They must be psyched.
Congrats.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's awesome news, congrats and shoot us some live clips when you guys are up and running... have fun and play well!

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
inspiring...I'm also a little surprised bands are still getting together these days...all 4 of my projects are still at a halt (well, ones done a few outdoor practices)

greegor

Reaction score
Yes, congrats. I stepped away from drums for about 25 yrs, didn't know if I could pick it up and be anywhere as good as I was in my youth. Might've lost a few clicks, but vastly more mature playing now and loving every minute of it.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new band is classic rock, I started playing classic rock when when it was just current music.

Over the years I worked a lot with a particular guitarist, or guitarists of a similar style. We played English rock, southern rock, blues based rock. It always seemed to be the usual suspects when it came to bands that we covered, not a lot of variation.

The new band has a female singer, which opens us up to a lot of music that I've never played before. Their influences are also a little different, more in the direction of 80s arena rock acts. The music has a lot more "big tom fills", which is different, but fun. I dusted off my double pedal, and I'm practicing with it.

It's great to be playing again, but it is particularly fun playing different material.