I hate micro kits.

drummingbulldog

Reaction score
Somebody said it. I love a bop kit but they sound like real drums still. Max killed on an 18". I killed an 18" mic'd up but I wasn't playing Zep or big band.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yea I guess if you're trying to do big balls they suck.

J

jaymandude

I’m on the road, splitting sets with a GREAT drummer using a loose 10 as the rack. Uggh. It sounds terrible in the house to me. No balls, no meat. But he loves it on stage and that’s why he uses it.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What classifies as a micro kit?

I play a 20/14/12 and some think it’s tiny. The guys at Motown used an 18” bass, but it sounded great.

Last edited:

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Are we calling any kit smaller than 22/13/16 a micro kit ? That would not be my definition. Maybe a 16/10/12 or something could fit but even then sound is very subjective. And as for not hearing them out front, who says ? That could apply to large kits players also. I just don't get the aggro against something that someone doesn't choose for himself and his idea of how drums should sound.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
I think they sometimes look silly, but as to the sound, it’s the drummer more than the drums.
ha!
Stanton obviously never went to my high school. I'm watching his right hand at the beginning of that video and my little finger stings.

We had a Senior in the drumline when I was a freshman that would go around and attempt to hit any pinkys he saw sticking out from the sticks. Mine got breezed by a couple times before I learned to keep it in.

PaulD

Reaction score
They sound like pants anytime I've heard a drummer playing one in a club,,,, zero presence and zero power.
Little girls drum kits.

Bring back 22,13,16 as standard sizes.
I have to agree though 20, 12 and 14 are reasonable depending on the type of music (i.e. not a Zep cover band).