I hate micro kits.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
They sound like pants anytime I've heard a drummer playing one in a club,,,, zero presence and zero power.
Little girls drum kits.

Bring back 22,13,16 as standard sizes.
Got a real man here, folks. Nobody asked, but he won’t play a girly kit. He eats his Wheaties and everything. A real tough guy.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Yeah, for me, not a fan but I’m not a jazzer. My 18/10/14 Remo kit is the only one I own that doesn’t get played unless there is absolutely no room on stage. A rarity.

I do play a Questlove Backbeats kit at our Petty rehearsal space because it’s there. It works.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
I like big drums, but I started co-hosting a weekly bar jam in a small, very live room. Volume is a serious issue (Guitar players, ugh! And less experienced others). So I ended up piecing together a small (for me) sized kit: 12x18 BD, 12x13FT, 6.5x10MT, 5x13SD.
Because it's a jam, I periodically get to hear them out front. Yeah, it took a bit of time to dial them in (especially the kick), but I'm proud to say they sound great -- even if they're sometimes not played so great.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love my Catalina Club jazz kit. Got it 2 weeks ago, used, to keep at the church where the jazz band rehearses and it has consigned the Yamaha and Alesis e-drum kits I had been playing for almost a year now to the pits of hell for ever, where they belong. If I had to play my full Maple kit in the sanctuary, I wouldn't be able to hear the rest of the band. Small kits rule! Use the right tools for the job at hand.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As the owner of several kits in 24/13/16, 22/13/16, 22/12/14, 20/12/14 and 18/12/14 sizes, I say use the tools that are best for the job. For rock, I absolutely love the 22/13/16 config, but for combo jazz, an 18/12/14 kit is perfect, as you don’t want big drums stomping all over the rest of the band.

Sometimes I’ll run 20/13/16 or even 22/13/14 for rock recording sessions, again dependent on the sound the session calls for. (I’m pretty tired of my 24 kick. Probably going to sell that kit off soon.)

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Time and a place for everything. When I think micro I think smaller then a bop. Do you know the history of the 16 bass drum?

First used in the 50s by the great Chico Hamilton.

"Gerry didn’t want me to use my bass drum. And that’s when we went to war [laughs]. I finally went out and got myself a tom-tom instead, a small bass drum, and converted it into a bass drum. Gerry didn't want any bass drum at all. But I told him I needed something there for my right foot, to keep my rhythm. My timing depended on it. I’m still using a smaller 16 inch bass drum today."

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
"I'm going to be a mechanic, but I hate 10mm wrenches."

Of course, if you're covering Led Zep with a Sonor Jungle kit, maybe, okay.