I hate micro kits.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
MichaelG - I made what I thought was a marginally funny post in response to your reply to another forum member:

Thanks man,,, great to get a full free psychological assessment over having some light hearted fun.

If your actually being serious,,,, that's a bit sad,,,,,,
When you choose to use the word "hate" in the title of your thread, it does not make most people think of light hearted fun.
If you had instead titled the thread "Micro Kits sound like pants", THAT connotes light hearted fun.
Word choice matters.

I got 5 likes, so apparently I'm not the only one who thought it was okay. Nothing about you, only your word choice, and that was done with an attempt at humor.

In your response to my post, you took a shot at me:

Using the word "hate" and "micro kits" in the same sentence is no cause for concern.
If you don't get that,, sorry you don't get it.

You're making it personal - you're telling me that I'm not capable of being able to tell when I should be concerned about what you write, and your "sorry you don't get it" confirms that. Maybe you think putting "sorry" in front of a sentence entitles you to say anything you want, and you can act outraged because "sorry" makes it an apology. It doesn't. It's a passive-aggressive way of being able to get a shot in, and when that person fires back, you can act shocked because you were being a nice guy.

Then there's this:

Obviously (to me anyways) diversity is golden.
All opinions are equal , and some are more equal than
ARGuy said:
I'm coming to the conclusion that you're one of those guys that thinks they're being clever and funny when they're really being smug and condescending. You know, the non-apology apology where you think you're being understanding, and that by throwing a "sorry" in there it makes you look like a nice guy.
Sorry you don't get it.
You gonna apologize to me or continue to behave like a little hurt girl over someone calling her unicorn stupid.

Another personal attack. But you know, this made me step back, because this is becoming like the Joe Pesci/Ray Liotta "You're a funny guy" scene in Goodfellas. So, that's how I'm going to treat this - you got me going on something that's not worth getting worked up about, and that's on me.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've done this in reverse. I used my Breakbeats at a venue so the manager thought I was quieter. They were the same volume (or close to) as my other kits but because of the smaller shells, they must be quieter.
I had a weekly jazz gig where the owner was notorious for complaining about how loud the band was. So whenever he was around, the closer to the band he was, the quieter we played...sometimes just barely audible. Always got a nod and thumbs up. Then he’d go into his office and we’d resume regular volume.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I had a weekly jazz gig where the owner was notorious for complaining about how loud the band was. So whenever he was around, the closer to the band he was, the quieter we played...sometimes just barely audible. Always got a nod and thumbs up. Then he’d go into his office and we’d resume regular volume.
Gotta play their game sometimes. This works out like a sketch on a comedy program.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've done this in reverse. I used my Breakbeats at a venue so the manager thought I was quieter. They were the same volume (or close to) as my other kits but because of the smaller shells, they must be quieter.
Perception is half the battle!

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Oh for the days when manly drummers played manly sized kits. Damn you soya! :)

Last edited:

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
18,12,14...small as one needs to go. For rock or funk, I prefer to step it up to at least a 20 minimum. It’s not that much more of a schlep. I can’t stand small a... toms. 12 and 14 small enough.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
That's how I felt playing a mini kit I made out of a 70's Slingy 10x14 I converted to a "bass", added a snare stand mounted on top with a snare, a flat ride mounted to a ride arm I added, and a set of hats! The entire "kit" was walked in and ready to go except the hats! It was a perfect setup for an outdoor acoustic art museum patio gig.

Mini/micro kits are underrated and awesome! They have limitations but I have some 18's that, if miked, will thump you out of your seat (DW, and vintage Ludwig, Slingy & Gretsch!)....

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
18,12,14...small as one needs to go. For rock or funk, I prefer to step it up to at least a 20 minimum. It’s not that much more of a schlep. I can’t stand small a... toms. 12 and 14 small enough.
I used to know a guy who rocked an 18/12/14 kit with a 5" snare drum.
He played all kinds of things and at first liked the setup for its sound and compactness (used a riser for the rock/country gigs).
Eventually, he found the kit had trouble cutting through the mix as bands came and went and the music became more rock oriented.
At first he got a maple 14x8 snare drum. It was a monster but I guess it worked really well for him.
Then he decided he needed to address the bass drum, so he swapped the 18 for a 26.
That's how he played it.
Worked for him.

Elvis

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I used to know a guy who rocked an 18/12/14 kit with a 5" snare drum.
He played all kinds of things and at first liked the setup for its sound and compactness (used a riser for the rock/country gigs).
Eventually, he found the kit had trouble cutting through the mix as bands came and went and the music became more rock oriented.
At first he got a maple 14x8 snare drum. It was a monster but I guess it worked really well for him.
Then he decided he needed to address the bass drum, so he swapped the 18 for a 26.
That's how he played it.
Worked for him.

Elvis
I enjoy some big drums too. 24 is as far as I’ll go. But many times it’s too much to take on a gig. I have a few 24s and they sound great! I have a big Ludwig project kit 70s 3 ply that I’m looking forward to getting up and running. Gonna tune it high and tight like Buddy Rich. JR Robinson uses a 24” a lot, and he is a favorite of mine.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
MichaelG - I made what I thought was a marginally funny post in response to your reply to another forum member:

When you choose to use the word "hate" in the title of your thread, it does not make most people think of light hearted fun.
If you had instead titled the thread "Micro Kits sound like pants", THAT connotes light hearted fun.
Word choice matters.

I got 5 likes, so apparently I'm not the only one who thought it was okay. Nothing about you, only your word choice, and that was done with an attempt at humor.

In your response to my post, you took a shot at me:

Using the word "hate" and "micro kits" in the same sentence is no cause for concern.

You're making it personal - you're telling me that I'm not capable of being able to tell when I should be concerned about what you write, and your "sorry you don't get it" confirms that. Maybe you think putting "sorry" in front of a sentence entitles you to say anything you want, and you can act outraged because "sorry" makes it an apology. It doesn't. It's a passive-aggressive way of being able to get a shot in, and when that person fires back, you can act shocked because you were being a nice guy.

Then there's this:

Obviously (to me anyways) diversity is golden.
All opinions are equal , and some are more equal than

You gonna apologize to me or continue to behave like a little hurt girl over someone calling her unicorn stupid.

Another personal attack. But you know, this made me step back, because this is becoming like the Joe Pesci/Ray Liotta "You're a funny guy" scene in Goodfellas. So, that's how I'm going to treat this - you got me going on something that's not worth getting worked up about, and that's on me.

Can you describe whats so offensive to you about using the words "hate" and "micro-kits" in the same sentence ? why the concern ? I'm genuinely puzzled, have you just bought an expensive micro-kit recently ?

And following your logic (as far as i can make it out) If someone on the forum said they really hate 22" A's , why on earth should I or anyone get upset or even be concerned about that ? I'd laugh or think them silly, so what.

I did not take the first shot at you ,but i did imply that maybe you were overreacting and didn't understand my point, but i didn't call you anything did I ?

As i see it and still do, you took the first personal shot here calling me "smug and condescending" etc etc and lots of other nonsense afterwards.

I unapologetically hate microkits, if i have to tip toe around describing gear due to some sort of political correctness that's just plain silly ...........

I apologize to everyone else to have to read this drivel, I tried to send a private PM to keep any aggravation off the thread and sort this silliness out privately but i was blanked.

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I enjoy some big drums too. 24 is as far as I’ll go. But many times it’s too much to take on a gig. I have a few 24s and they sound great! I have a big Ludwig project kit 70s 3 ply that I’m looking forward to getting up and running. Gonna tune it high and tight like Buddy Rich. JR Robinson uses a 24” a lot, and he is a favorite of mine.
A long time ago, I came up with the idea of a kit where it was a "2-n-1" type of deal, where you could create a second smaller kit from the toms of the main kit.
Nothing earth shattering these days, but I didn't see anyone else doing that back when I came up with that idea.
These days, whenever I talk about it, I tend to call it a "convertible".
However, I think I like that idea of having one small kit and just changing out the bass and/or snare drum to better address the situation I'd be using them in, even better than the "convertible" idea.
Seems like, if you stuck with a 4 piece kit, it would be less clutter to simply have an extra bass drum laying around.
...and yeah, I don't know how that guy did a 26. I sit too low for that action.
Either a 22 or possibly a 24 for me.

Elvis

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow who would have expected this thread to go on so long and get so far off the rails! Nice work everyone! Anyway I love little drums. I have 6-18” Bass drums with different sets. Im thinking about getting a 16” and I have a 15” single headed tom I would like to make into an ultracompacto set. We’ll see where all of that goes in the next few months! Don’t hate me for it! They’re only drums!

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
:scratch: So, if someone were to play just a 10" snare and a 16" Bass drum, would that be called a "micro bikini kit"? :laughing5:

**** P.S. *** DON'T GOOGLE THAT! :shock::eek:o_O

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So tacking the boat back into the wind; I play an acoustic gig twice a month where I use a Micro Bikini. That's a 16 BD, snare, hihat and ride.

One trip wonder kicks "pants"

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
U

Using "hate" and "albanians" or "mother in-laws cooking" , in the same sentence is a whole different ball game.

I unapologetically still hate micro kits,,,,,,,,,,, (and red drum kits too,, apart from Neil pearts tama kit,,,, best sounding kit he had.
Can you please stop using commas in place of periods when you're typing an ellipsis? Thank you.

Latest posts