I hate micro kits.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I played my suitcase kit this weekend at rehearsal. Unfortunately, I smashed my R. middle/ring/index fingers opening my chair, so I was in severe pain! I duck taped up the hand and couldn't set up the rest of the kit, so I went super micro topless bikini style.......

An 8" splash as the "ride", the case as the bass, the top of the case as a "snare" rimshot and the side as the "snare" sound, and I have a little tambourine contraption as the "hats" on 2/4.......it was not ideal but it worked, even for Wipeout!

20200222_115609.jpg

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Once played a very low volume jazz trio gig in a restaurant with 1 zildjian 18" L80 ride, a small foot tambourine, 14" snare with brushes and the heels of my shoes on a hard wooden floor.
Certainly couldn't complain about the load in that night.

bernard

Reaction score
the sound
people who play micro kits don't hear them out front
or their effect on any music they happen to accompany
Well, that was what I meant: In any of those cases that kit was probably not the right tool for the task. But there are a lot of times when a small sized drums are perfect -- due to the sound, the plyability, the look, the stage size or any other reason...

davezedlee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, that was what I meant: In any of those cases that kit was probably not the right tool for the task. But there are a lot of times when a small sized drums are perfect -- due to the sound, the plyability, the look, the stage size or any other reason...
They always have such limited range that ear fatigue sets in within one song... not unlike the 10 inch tom/piccolo snare 90s Weckl trend

Not bad for a song or two, grating after that... but the players never notice

Latest posts