header.nohb.html

I hate touching cymbals with my bare hands

Nubs

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not to mention the nasty, rank smell my hands get from touching them, but I also break out a bit.

Anyone else?

Tony_H

Reaction score
Just always play songs where you never have to grab them ;)

In all seriousness though, I am one of those that cleans my cymbals before shows, so every week or so. My 11 y/o daughter has started helping me and she can't stand getting her hands dirty in the process, so I gave her latex gloves for her "part" in cleaning them. Otherwise during shows I sweat so much that if there is a smell, I don't notice it. And I typically wash my hands in between sets anyway.

During setup and breakdown, I have a pair of mechanics gloves that keep my hands protected from random acts of sharp edges and also keeps fingerprints off drums, stands, and limits them on cymbals to when I play only.

DrumPhil

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
During setup and breakdown, I have a pair of mechanics gloves that keep my hands protected from random acts of sharp edges and also keeps fingerprints off drums, stands, and limits them on cymbals to when I play only.

That's actually a pretty cool idea for the gigging drummer. It's always annoying when you get a cut during setup and have to play the night with a BandAid wrapped around your knuckle. (I keep a BandAid or two in my stick bag just in case.)

2oo2

Reaction score
Yes, cymbals have a distinctive smell, specially when they are old, in fact different alloys have different smells (now we could go one step further and taste them :p). Never have had any allergic reaction when handling them.

Tony_H

Reaction score
That's actually a pretty cool idea for the gigging drummer. It's always annoying when you get a cut during setup and have to play the night with a BandAid wrapped around your knuckle. (I keep a BandAid or two in my stick bag just in case.)
Yeah Phil, it all started probably ~12 years ago when my sound guy and I built a drum riser out of plywood (including the base). It was heavy AF and would scrape up hands and arms while moving it. Since then the gloves just sorta became my load-in/load-out routine. And they serve a dual purpose not smudging up my pretty shiny things during setup...LOL

Nubs

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well hell, I figured at least someone else here would be bothered by it. Maybe I'm just a pansy? Probably.

I did purchase a $1 pair of cloth gloves to handle them and they work well. Anyways, I stand by my original post.

JohnnyVibesAZ

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well hell, I figured at least someone else here would be bothered by it. Maybe I'm just a pansy? Probably.

I did purchase a $1 pair of cloth gloves to handle them and they work well. Anyways, I stand by my original post.

You're not a pansy. You may have an allergy to brass or bronze.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I haven't really noticed any smells or any sort of allergic reaction to my cymbals. I just dont like touching them with my bare hands. The same goes for touching my drum shells, rims, lugs or any of the hardware on the whole kit including cymbal stands. I'm Italian, so I have really greasy fingers. I can't stand all the fingerprints I leave everywhere I go.

Surprisingly, I'm okay with fingerprints on the touch screen on my phone or in my car. Those don't seem to bother me.

Maybe it's a corrosion thing that I have a problem with. No greasy fingerprints, no corrosion.

drumflyer

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a couple scents that my drums and cymbals have that take me back to when I first started playing over 50 years ago. The smell of the interior of the drum shell when changing a head! Also the smell of a Zildjian A cymbal both take me back to when I was a kid. Good times for me!

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In all seriousness though, I am one of those that cleans my cymbals before shows, so every week or so.
During setup and breakdown, I have a pair of mechanics gloves that .... keeps fingerprints off drums, stands, and limits them on cymbals ...
I like to clean my cymbals during a show, often between tunes. Sometimes even during a tune, like a slow ballad. Playing slow quarter notes or even half notes on my main ride leaves me time to spray and wipe down my LSR, hats and if it's really slow, even my crash cymbals. Chicks dig it too I can tell. They're always commenting between sets on my technique and how shiny my gear is.

premierplayer

DFO Master
Reaction score
A metallic smell on your body is typically a type of body odor triggered by handling copper or other metals. It can also result from your body burning protein rather than glucose during a workout.

Sweaty hands on copper have a distinct smell, ask a plumber.

@Nubs, I get it. Cloth gloves should help.

Tony_H

Reaction score
I like to clean my cymbals during a show, often between tunes. Sometimes even during a tune, like a slow ballad. Playing slow quarter notes or even half notes on my main ride leaves me time to spray and wipe down my LSR, hats and if it's really slow, even my crash cymbals. Chicks dig it too I can tell. They're always commenting between sets on my technique and how shiny my gear is.
I honestly don't know how to play into this sarcasm. I'll just drop an "LOL" to make everyone feel better. :shock: