header.nohb.html

I hate touching cymbals with my bare hands

type85

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to mention the nasty, rank smell my hands get from touching them, but I also break out a bit.

Anyone else?
I "palm" the cymbals when muting them (only touching the edge) instead of clamping with my thumb and forefinger, much less contact, no fingerprints and oil/dirt/acidic sweat left on the cymbal either!

1662559787493.png

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m thinking the Tin being introduced into the Copper and Silver has something to do with the odor . Copper and Silver don’t seem to give off a odor standing on their own . Maybe @John DeChristopher can add some knowledge into this ?

type85

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m thinking the Tin being introduced into the Copper and Silver has something to do with the odor . Copper and Silver don’t seem to give off a odor standing on their own . Maybe @John DeChristopher can add some knowledge into this ?

There's virtually no silver in "modern" (the last 50-60 years) B20 cymbals:

1662573349856.png

This is why you "smell" copper and other metals, it's "you" making the smell, not the metal!!

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There's virtually no silver in "modern" (the last 50-60 years) B20 cymbals:

View attachment 581785
The chart you posted got me thinking ? Question : would Paiste 602 70’s be more prone to cracking because of their hardness ?

This is why you "smell" copper and other metals, it's "you" making the smell, not the metal!!

becken

Reaction score
Just always play songs where you never have to grab them ;)

In all seriousness though, I am one of those that cleans my cymbals before shows, so every week or so. My 11 y/o daughter has started helping me and she can't stand getting her hands dirty in the process, so I gave her latex gloves for her "part" in cleaning them. Otherwise during shows I sweat so much that if there is a smell, I don't notice it. And I typically wash my hands in between sets anyway.

During setup and breakdown, I have a pair of mechanics gloves that keep my hands protected from random acts of sharp edges and also keeps fingerprints off drums, stands, and limits them on cymbals to when I play only.
All that cleaning & polishing will ruin those cymbals. The lathing will wear out, and the sound will deteriorate. Play them correctly, and just take care of them.

Tony_H

Reaction score
All that cleaning & polishing will ruin those cymbals. The lathing will wear out, and the sound will deteriorate. Play them correctly, and just take care of them.
For a full on modern rock show, as long as they go "crash" and reflect all the stage lights, they serve their purpose just fine. I've had A Custom Hi-hats and ride for about 18 years and they are still holding up strong even without logos and staying very shiny.

If they ever do "deteriorate", I'll just buy more. To each their own I guess.

type85

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
@DBT :

Sound creations are even harder!
The hardness comes from all the heat cycling/tempering/annealing stages during production and the grain/crystalline structure when finished.

"would Paiste 602 70’s be more prone to cracking because of their hardness ?
This "rumor" goes back to the late 1960's Ludwig days when they specified thinner weight cymbals all across Paiste's cymbal lines, Paiste was never able to get away from this issue and reputation.
To answer your question, I'm not qualified to answer that, I don't know enough about thier production process to make an accurate statement.....

Reactions: DBT

Swissward Flamtacles

Reaction score
So which one smells better - B8 or B20?
(Discussing smells of wood types is a big thing on Drummerworld if you're interested)

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I get the playing them correctly part but I’m not ashamed to say I have always cleaned my Hollow Logos with Never Dull . I don’t subscribe to the whole patina thing . I handle them like I do albums and CD’s but they still get smudges . Hollow Logo’s are heavy enough , I like them to sound as bright as they can . As far as dulling lathing goes maybe using 100 grit sand paper would do that . I’ve only cracked 10” splashes and 14” thin crashes , every one above that still serves me well because I take care of them .

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
@DBT :

Sound creations are even harder!
The hardness comes from all the heat cycling/tempering/annealing stages during production and the grain/crystalline structure when finished.

"would Paiste 602 70’s be more prone to cracking because of their hardness ?
This "rumor" goes back to the late 1960's Ludwig days when they specified thinner weight cymbals all across Paiste's cymbal lines, Paiste was never able to get away from this issue and reputation.
To answer your question, I'm not qualified to answer that, I don't know enough about thier production process to make an accurate statement.....
Interesting .

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't buy new cymbals very often. 95% of 'em were pawnshop, eBay, Kijiji finds. But I got a new 16" HHX studio crash recently & the first thing I did was rub my hands all over it. Although its gonna take more than that before it matches its never-cleaned 18" brother. I may have to rub it all over myself, repeatedly & end up smelling like B20. PS: interesting thread! I'm glad to have participated :angel9:

Tubwompus

Reaction score
Yes, cymbals have a distinctive smell, specially when they are old, in fact different alloys have different smells (now we could go one step further and taste them :p). Never have had any allergic reaction when handling them.
It’s been my experience that they all taste about the same.

Now, bus windas and the windas in the back of police cruisers? Now thems is totally diffirnt.

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I first saw this, I was going to make a joke and say I haven't handled many cymbals... ;)

Kidding aside, I've experienced a smell with old coins (which are copper) and other metal objects, usually when they're old and dirty, but haven't noticed it a lot with cymbals.

My personal cymbals are mostly vintage with either no coating, or the coating has long worn off, so I don't know if that has something to do with it.

During my years at Zildjian, I can't say I noticed it a lot, or at all. I would often handle cymbals with cloth gloves, but many times without them. Maybe a faint odor from the metal but nothing overwhelming.

@Nubs , you may well have some sort of allergy if you break out a bit. Or perhaps it's the chemicals in the coating.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When I first saw this, I was going to make a joke and say I haven't handled many cymbals... ;)

Kidding aside, I've experienced a smell with old coins (which are copper) and other metal objects, usually when they're old and dirty, but haven't noticed it a lot with cymbals.

Coins came to mind for me also, John .......

You know ....... the smell of money ...... !

M.

Blue Zurich

Reaction score
I subscribe to the whole science thing...patinas, metallurgy (not cleaning) but draw the line at burying in the dirt.