header.nohb.html

I Hate Virgin Bass Drums and the Resulting Need for Stand Mounted Toms

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've never gone for the "virgin bass drum" idea. A 24" X 14" bass drum has 7 feet of wood length X 14" deep. That's 1,176 square inches of surface area. A tom mount occupies about 6 square inches of surface area. Is it really possible that's going to affect the sound? If you're using dampening heads and/or blanket/pillow, the resonance and tone is gone. Even IF you can hear the resonance of the toms, they are so low in the mix they will be obliterated by all the other instruments in the recording.
IMO, it’s the amount of distortion of the shape of the shell, especially at the bearing edges, by the weight of the mounted toms, that affects the resonance of the bass drum more than the area of contact by the mount and backing plate. Further, the larger the drum and the thinner the shell, the more susceptible the drum is to distortion. Again, JMO!

Stone Wilcoxon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Agreeing with all previous comments regarding the preference for toms mounted to a bass drum,

I recently bought a satin maple DW set; 10", 12" & 15" toms, 20" bass, all dated June 1996, (same shells that Jack Bruno used with Tina Turner, his dated Feb. 1996)
and I'm very tempted to add a double tom mount but fear that;

1) the very thin Keller bass drum shell may be damaged by the weight of a double tom mount & toms?
2) I will lower the value of this kit?

I got a great deal on these drums, in good condition, possibly very "collectable", as is, to DW fans?

I'd buy the Indesign drill-less double mount except Josh doesn't make one that works with DW's different lug threads.

My Crosstown cymbal stands bend even with the 10" tom attached so back to heavier stands I guess.
So I may also deal with the hassle of toms mounted to stands for as long as I own these.

I bought my 1982 DWs (brand new!) back in the days when virtually nobody was doing virgin BDs, and before DW was making hardware other than pedals and canister thrones. I specified a Tama mountand Pearl spurs, and played that kit out for decades with either 12/13, 12/14, or 10/12 hung on the bass drum. The shell was, and remains, just fine.

Hazim

Reaction score
Wow , for me if it ain’t virgin ,, I have zero interest …. And absolutely LOVE the cymbal/tom mount , single tom mount , double tom mount ,,, drill a hole in the top of my bass drum , we’re stepping in the ring …. As for a sound difference , oh it’s there , for those who aren’t hearing it.

And Mapex makes a fantastic bass drum tom mount that allows the drum to remain virgin ,, and affects the sound a “tad” less than a permanent internal mount.

I see a bass drum with a one inch hole on top , I’m gone :)
I would bet you cannot tell the difference on a blind test, but whatever. Especially when you praise for Mapex which are really not known for being the best sounding drums at all. They use so much glue that it kills the sound. Or at least they used to. Good thing is that when they fall down the stairs they would survive with just scratches thanks to it.
By the way, no drill bass drum mounts were used even on Ludwigs and Premiers and many other's all the way back in the 60s last century and even earlier. Maybe even 30s. Sonor Designer series is another exmample from more recent history. Al before your Mapex even existed, so welcome to the drum world. Giving any credit to Mapex for that is a bit... meh...

Chris.H

Reaction score
Considering the fact that unless you're in a Rush tribute band you'll most likely only hit your tom(s) a max of 25% of the time during a typical gig...I could care less what I'm using. Its not rocket science.
Excellent point! I've heard of some guys actually doing a gig with just kick,snare,hihats and perhaps a ride/crash.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate the virgin kick drum thing.
I hear zero difference between a virgin bass drum and one with toms mounted on it.
To me virgin kick drums are super impractical and require additional stands to be purchased, carried to the gig, set up, and torn down. Not worth it imo.
A few months ago I was looking at a custom kit from a small drum company and they refused to drill the kick so I said goodbye. Their loss.

Trilock_Gurtu

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Excellent point! I've heard of some guys actually doing a gig with just kick,snare,hihats and perhaps a ride/crash.
Years ago I worked with a classic rock cover band for four years (6 nights a week, four hours per night). I was either playing straight 2&4 or a shuffle, so I only used a kick/snare/hi hat/floor tom/one cymbal (crash/ride). That's it. Drummers from the crowd would come up to chat during the breaks, and it was easy to tell who was a pro and who was a hobbyist by their feedback, it was either: "why don't you have the rest of the set?", or just a simple smile and nod towards the kit.

Last edited:

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Wow , for me if it ain’t virgin ,, I have zero interest …. And absolutely LOVE the cymbal/tom mount , single tom mount , double tom mount ,,, drill a hole in the top of my bass drum , we’re stepping in the ring …. As for a sound difference , oh it’s there , for those who aren’t hearing it.

And Mapex makes a fantastic bass drum tom mount that allows the drum to remain virgin ,, and affects the sound a “tad” less than a permanent internal mount.

I see a bass drum with a one inch hole on top , I’m gone :)
A big difference in who likes tom mounts and who doesn't depends upon who gigs and who doesn't.

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
My practice kit:

20220819_133231.jpg

I'll gig it too. I'm going to bring that cymbal stand anyway. A clamp and a tiny arm with memory locks takes no room in the hardware case, and sets up in no time. No different than my other kits that use bass drum mounts or a snare stand. I don't see the big deal.

pdr

Reaction score
Use what you want, but I find stands to be easier to move around than having to move around the bass drum with the mount on top to get it where I want and I usually don't want the ride to be over a mounted tom, either. So, it's all down to preference. What I do want to mention is the Sonor SQ2 system inherited the mount that has a post in it that floats on rubber grommets on top of the bass drum shell. The post can be a little unusual, but you get the benefits of having your bass drum mount and the un-drilled bass drum. Both my bass drums have these, the 18" for bop/tight stage shows and the 24" bass drum. Attached is a picture of my 18" with the slide mount on top of an un-drilled shell.

Attachments

• tempImageEC6Dxy.png
    tempImageEC6Dxy.png
    448.8 KB · Views: 26

Blue Zurich

Reaction score
Not all bass drum tom mounts are created equal. I don't ever think about my Gretsch mount because it simply works.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) ALL acoustic musical instruments are a mass of sympathetic resonances, Those resonances are part of the instrument's natural sound. Mute those resonances and you alter the instrument's sound.

2) Unless you run your bass drum with two intact drumheads and no muffling at all, the notion that a bass-drum tom mount affects its resonance is absolute nonsense. As soon as you use BD heads with built-in muffling, or cut a hole in the reso head and insert your laundry of choice, or do any number of other things to control the BD's resonance, you've altered its resonance characteristics several order of magnitude greater than any BD tom mount system could ever effect them.

3) That Sonor mount thingie three posts up has always struck me as being a thousand-pound cure for a one-ounce problem.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A
If you are putting a pillow in your bass drum you have already restricted the tone much more than a tom mount. ;)
And this is why I don’t have a tom mount nor do I put anything in my bass drum. I use a felt strip, two full intact heads with a ps3 on the batter, and I’m set. Personally, I could never get the placement of the rack tom where I wanted it with a mount off the bass drum. Those are two reasons why I never use a bass drum mount for my tom. Fortunately for me, a snare stand also looks a hell of a lot cooler. Bonus!

donbseattle

Reaction score
all you need to do is take a bass drum and a snare drum to the gig. Leave the toms at home.

Hulakatt

Reaction score
If you're so far down the list of things to really irritate you that you've made it to how your toms are mounted then everything else must be going pretty dang good!

So what if yours toms are stand/rack/snare stand mounted? adapt.
What if you only have one rack tom? Adapt.
None? Adapt.
What if they have less cymbals than you normally use? Different ones? More? Adapt.

Just sit down at any kit and just play, it's really not that hard? Rock what ya got.

spelman

Reaction score
Use what you want, but I find stands to be easier to move around than having to move around the bass drum with the mount on top to get it where I want and I usually don't want the ride to be over a mounted tom, either. So, it's all down to preference. What I do want to mention is the Sonor SQ2 system inherited the mount that has a post in it that floats on rubber grommets on top of the bass drum shell. The post can be a little unusual, but you get the benefits of having your bass drum mount and the un-drilled bass drum. Both my bass drums have these, the 18" for bop/tight stage shows and the 24" bass drum. Attached is a picture of my 18" with the slide mount on top of an un-drilled shell.
Wow! Do you have more pictures of your SQ2s?