I have $250. What wood snare would you recommend?

chappy

Reaction score
I have several different sizes of metal snare drums for various brands that I love, but I want a wood snare drum (probably something in the realm of a 6.5 depth)what would you recommend in my budget?

chappy

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd recommend used as well, but if you want brand new (and have an extra $50 or so), both the Gretsch Renown and Yamaha Tour Custom are nice maple snares that won't break the bank.

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd look for recent used VGC snares - opens up your choices. Try Nelson Drum Shop TN and Revival in Portland OR and Portsmouth DC

INDe drum lab - he sometimes has demos discounted - but I've rarely seen them under $300.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Used Acrolite and some new heads. Or a Gretsch Renown maple snare (Which I do need to get for my kit)

phdamage

Reaction score
Dunno what type of stuff you play. I rarely am wowed by wood snares but my noble and Cooley solid maple is amazing - maybe even my favorite. Those certainly would be a great deal more but I’ve been curious about this solid shell drum that’s been sitting on reverb for $250 for some time:
Custom Solid Ply Snare Drum
https://reverb.com/item/35530346-cu...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=35530346

I’ve never played a popular snare, so no idea what it would sound/play like but I’m curious.

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pork Pie or Gretsch Renown are usually $300 new, so either with a discount or buying used you can get one in your budget.
Another one to check out if you want new is the Pearl Session Studio Select, which is in your price range.