I have $250. What wood snare would you recommend?

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pearl has a few really nice snares in that range. The Modern Utility snare is a steal.

I'm itching to buy a new snare and the pork pie big black is one my trigger finger is on, the other is the 6.5 maple utility. Sort of falling in love again with the sound of a maple snare, the one I have now is basically the 5.5 version.

Like $175 new and shipped, how does one go wrong with this?

1.6mm Pearl hoops though but I can swap them out.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have several different sizes of metal snare drums for various brands that I love, but I want a wood snare drum (probably something in the realm of a 6.5 depth)what would you recommend in my budget?

chappy
Save that dough and buy yourself a killer throne instead.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In that case I'd grab a 10-lug Birch Yamaha Stage Custom. They're a good start without breaking the budget. They have a great tuning range to boot.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 6.5x13 Musashi is nice, but it's oak - very one dimensional (and loud) sound - good for mid-high only and great for a poppy piccolo sound despite depth.

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
If you already have a snare, I'd say invest the money. Roth IRA, mutual fund, Bitcoin, whatever. Don't be like me. Don't endlessly buy things you don't need.

Alternatively, you can be more like me and find a heavily neglected drum that's usually more on the expensive side and restore it. This will usually cost more, so haggle as much as possible, but you'll be saving something that would otherwise be on its way to the trash can.

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
You might be able to find an old Ludwig Standard snare for that price... but it likely will only be 5.5" deep. It's a nice sounding drum though. I bought one 10 or so years ago for just $100, though I did spend another $30 or so replacing the strainer. It's my favorite snare...

cobaltspike

Reaction score
Get a Keller Wood Products shell and buy some hardware and have some fun putting it together yourself. You can get them with edges and snare beds done and even drilled to your hardware, then you put whatever finish on and have fun!

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
Pork Pie or Gretsch Renown are usually $300 new, so either with a discount or buying used you can get one in your budget.
Another one to check out if you want new is the Pearl Session Studio Select, which is in your price range.
Funny, I just got 1. 14x8. put my cast hoops and a 30 strand on it. Love it , I am talking about the session select.

wraub

Reaction score
I recently got an 8 lug Yamaha Tour Custom Maple and a 10 Yamaha Rock Tour Mahogany for $160, total.

Worth it to shop around.

Axel Mallet

Reaction score
Personnaly, I prefer playing on metal snares but the best wich is made out of wood I can find is the 14x08 Tama Woodworks snare tuned really low with a big fat snare

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I think this is a good place for this. I did pick up a Pearl Utility 6.5 maple snare, came in today.

I've had a lot of issues with Pearl's 1.6mm hoops and anticipated replacing them and yeah, the hoops on the Utility were warped, on both sides of the snare slots, pretty noticeably.

Other than that, here's the one thing I noticed, posting pics. It looks like the bottom shell is slivered. I had the batter head off (the top hoop was fairly sticky to get off and back on) and the top shell edge and overall looked ok, I didn't take the bottom head off because I didn't want to perform that surgery on something I might be sending back. I was hoping to get some opinions.

I know it's not a high end snare and you get what you pay for but with the hoops and the funky shell look (to me) I'm hesitating now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

1614306169822.jpeg

1614306208745.jpeg

DRC79

Reaction score
This thread was somewhat of an eye opener as I was going to suggest a nice old Slingerland 8 lugger figuring that they would be available for less than $250... My friend has one in his rehearsal space that I use, it is a model that has always been on my bucket list. 10 or so years ago they were an unsung bargain, but I never got around to it. Looking at the auction sites today I see that they've caught on, and prices have increased. Hard to find one for less than $300 now. Oh well, ya snooze.....
I got a 10 lug chrome over wood Slingerland snare for less then 200 and love it. There are plenty of steel snares for cheap.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
So I think this is a good place for this. I did pick up a Pearl Utility 6.5 maple snare, came in today.

I've had a lot of issues with Pearl's 1.6mm hoops and anticipated replacing them and yeah, the hoops on the Utility were warped, on both sides of the snare slots, pretty noticeably.

Other than that, here's the one thing I noticed, posting pics. It looks like the bottom shell is slivered. I had the batter head off (the top hoop was fairly sticky to get off and back on) and the top shell edge and overall looked ok, I didn't take the bottom head off because I didn't want to perform that surgery on something I might be sending back. I was hoping to get some opinions.

I know it's not a high end snare and you get what you pay for but with the hoops and the funky shell look (to me) I'm hesitating now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
That’s a real bummer. I bought a Modern Utility 14x8 at the end of last year and had none of those QC issues. I was considering getting another one in the same size as you, hopefully that one will be good. Although I wouldn’t mind knowing where yours came from, in case you return it I wouldn’t want to get it!

NoMotivationDrummer

Reaction score
I have several different sizes of metal snare drums for various brands that I love, but I want a wood snare drum (probably something in the realm of a 6.5 depth)what would you recommend in my budget?
That is a hard question to answer as snares are a matter of personal preference and there are so many out there. I myself prefer TAMA stuff, but that could be different for you. I do realize that is harder to find nice wood TAMA stuff at a low price, but if you save up a bit, you could get some pretty nice snares. Maybe try the TAMA S.L.P G-Maple 6.5x14