i have $500 cash (paypal) for older Ludwig drum sets, 3pc / 4pc

roundbadgedude

DFO Master
Reaction score
Im looking for older ludwig drums in nice shape, 3 or 4 pc, any year up to 1980, if you have anything available shoot me some pics
thanks!

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
$500 for a down payment?
Not any more. We are in a severely depressed musical instrument market right now. When people saw the prices that old kits were bringing, they began to pull them out of closets, garage sales, estate sales - everywhere! - and the result is a glutted market with more kits than buyers. The vintage drum market was small to begin with, and now that most of the oldsters (like me) have found the kits they either had or wished they had when they were teenagers, the number of buyers has shrunk even more. Ludwig, Slingerland, Gretsch - all the majors - built thousands upon thousands of kits since, say, the 1950s, and especially since 1964 with the advent of you-know-who. Most of those kits were not trashed, thrown in the dump, or burned for firewood. Most of them have languished in closets and attics for decades, and there are many, many more to be discovered. Again - a very glutted supply chain with a decreasing numbers of buyers.

Ten to fifteen years ago, when the vintage drum scene really hotted up (yes, I know - many folks have been collecting/flipping/restoring/playing vintage drums for a long time. They were into vintage before vintage became cool), buyers wouldn't blink an eye at Ludwig/Slingerland/Camco/Gretsch kits with entry prices well in excess of $1000. Now that boomers have sated their lust for these vintage kits (probably several times over), the fever has subsided and prices for these kits have been returning to those seen before the boon. (Of course, all of us who have even the slightest interest in all things "vintage" have seen this cycle before, haven't we? Remember the muscle car craze (ask Reggie Jackson what happened)? Remember the antique furniture madness? How about the This Old House movement? Have you seen any of the Antiques Roadshow episodes where they compare the current prices for antiques vs the appraisals they gave 10-15 years ago. The steep downward trend is easily grasped.

So, my long and rambling treatise is really all about establishing the new truth: prices for vintage drums are returning to their pre-boon levels. (And this is probably a good time to acknowledge that highly-desirable, pristine, or rare kits are hardly affected by this larger-market trend. Steve Maxwell has little to worry about.)

All said and done, I suspect that the OP will have little problem finding a vintage Ludwig kit within his price range.

GeeDeeEmm

drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So yes one can score a player possibly for $500 but for pristine, rare, and desirable it's still a down payment.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think he might be able to find a player grade club dates (but 20/14/12 or 22/14/12) or Ludwig standards in that price range locally or from a yard sale where the owner doesn’t know what he has, he might give away a super classic at that price or lower. However, forget if it needs to be shipped.

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah..new,double wall boxes/materials..to box PROPERLY.....is around $70 alone..then..shipping..$100-150?

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A $500 vintage Ludwig drum kit is feasible....but likely with extra holes, cracked or unsightly wrap, re-wrapped, or with orphans and mis-matched dates. The absolute BEST deal I've seen in Ludwigs the past 6 months were a nice 1 owner 5 piece 1969 silver sparkle (with hardware, cases, and Zildjians) for $1400. After factoring out the extra's the 3 piece would net out around $650...selling everything else off. So close to $500. The other kit was a killer Ludwig 70's 7 pc rock kit in unusual sizes at $1000 (with hardware and cymbals). That was a steal as after the cymbals, hardware, and "odd" drums and snare were gone, the remaining 4 pc kit was "free"....and that portion was still worth over $1000.

So it can be done....though probably only buying a bigger sized kit with everything....and then scaling down. Another way to get there is to be the first one to call on kit where the owner has no idea what they have. I've seen 3-4 vintage Gretsch, Rogers, Slingerland hit the FB/CL pages at $500-$600 in my region the past year. In each case the seller wised up before letting them go cheap since the phone was ringing off the hook or they were flooded with texts/emails.......and they went in the $1200-$2000 range in the end. So not easy to get in there before the word gets out or the seller figures it out. But, every so often you can. Of all the kits out there, I'd say Ludwigs are the best documented and plentiful enough so that any seller checking out Ebay, CL, FB, Reverb or under an hour should get approximate value pretty easily.

As a market point, I'm aware of a decent (not mint) 5 piece Ludwig club date kit in a rarer finish that just traded hands for over $2000 (12,14,20 + snare). And a similar kit was on Ebay a couple months ago for $2000 and sold quickly. So the market hasn't exactly tanked yet. But, the number of kit, cymbals, and gear offerings have certainly increased. The asking prices are usually just as high.

Last edited:

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
You're overpaying for supplies!
Shipped today for the store I teach at... 22, 10, 12, 14 with mounting arms.
Double walled 24.5x24.5 box from Uhaul $10.
Packing supplies happened to be stuff I got for free, but I usually buy a bulk bubble wrap. I usually get this which comes in four rolls and the set today would have used one roll. ($20) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQMRFQH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Maybe $1 or two worth of tape.
Also used some free saved boxes for extra packing.
Shipping via UPS including reverb's insurance was $63. I didn't compare direct UPS or FEDEX as the store likes to use reverb's shipping.
This shipment was from GA to OH. Western states would have been more...

I removed all hardware from all drums so I could nest safely.

Total shipping including materials and insurance $95.

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok..but..not many just shipping a drum set buy 400 feet of bubble wrap at a time...?

And..sure..if you go dumpster diving..might find some free supplies..but ..how many people do that..to save a complete stranger some $$?

I am talking about going to uhaul....

A roll of brown tape...$4..you WILL have lots left over...

16” wide by 10 feet long...LARGE BUBBLE bubble wrap...at least 2..if not 3..@$4 per roll...$8 or $12

BIODEGRADABLE Packing popcorn...$5 per bag...at least 4..if not 5 bags...$20-$25

$8 double wall Medium Electronic box..24-24-20...

$6 for Dish Barrel Box..for FT,,with mounted Tom put on top of FT....
OR..you can put tom in a box..put in bass drum..but..then you use a lot of popcorn..to keep it from shifting around....

All materials..plus tax....

Guess I was off $10,,,close to $60 for all...out the door....

roundbadgedude

DFO Master
Reaction score
its 100 percent feasible guys, if you know how to do it.

STILL LOOKING - LET ME KNOW

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not any more. We are in a severely depressed musical instrument market right now. When people saw the prices that old kits were bringing, they began to pull them out of closets, garage sales, estate sales - everywhere! - and the result is a glutted market with more kits than buyers. The vintage drum market was small to begin with, and now that most of the oldsters (like me) have found the kits they either had or wished they had when they were teenagers, the number of buyers has shrunk even more. Ludwig, Slingerland, Gretsch - all the majors - built thousands upon thousands of kits since, say, the 1950s, and especially since 1964 with the advent of you-know-who. Most of those kits were not trashed, thrown in the dump, or burned for firewood. Most of them have languished in closets and attics for decades, and there are many, many more to be discovered. Again - a very glutted supply chain with a decreasing numbers of buyers.

Ten to fifteen years ago, when the vintage drum scene really hotted up (yes, I know - many folks have been collecting/flipping/restoring/playing vintage drums for a long time. They were into vintage before vintage became cool), buyers wouldn't blink an eye at Ludwig/Slingerland/Camco/Gretsch kits with entry prices well in excess of $1000. Now that boomers have sated their lust for these vintage kits (probably several times over), the fever has subsided and prices for these kits have been returning to those seen before the boon. (Of course, all of us who have even the slightest interest in all things "vintage" have seen this cycle before, haven't we? Remember the muscle car craze (ask Reggie Jackson what happened)? Remember the antique furniture madness? How about the This Old House movement? Have you seen any of the Antiques Roadshow episodes where they compare the current prices for antiques vs the appraisals they gave 10-15 years ago. The steep downward trend is easily grasped.

So, my long and rambling treatise is really all about establishing the new truth: prices for vintage drums are returning to their pre-boon levels. (And this is probably a good time to acknowledge that highly-desirable, pristine, or rare kits are hardly affected by this larger-market trend. Steve Maxwell has little to worry about.)

All said and done, I suspect that the OP will have little problem finding a vintage Ludwig kit within his price range.

GeeDeeEmm
I think that assessment is regional. In Florida it's nothing like that. With everything going on, I expected for people to go nuts selling. I've searched and searched and it's still the overly expensive inflated prices as always. I've stated this before that In Florida, every seller thinks that what they have is made of gold. It's crazy!

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think that assessment is regional. In Florida it's nothing like that. With everything going on, I expected for people to go nuts selling. I've searched and searched and it's still the overly expensive inflated prices as always. I've stated this before that In Florida, every seller thinks that what they have is made of gold. It's crazy!
Yep. A lot of people still haven't done their research on what the market conditions are really like. They see, and then mimic, the high asking prices they see posted on ebay and other places. But, when you take a close look at what these drums sell for, a completely different picture emerges.

GeeDeeEmm

Latest posts