I have $800~ to spend on a 4pc kit including snare. What do you recommend?

scott757

Reaction score
I'll be buying my first acoustic kit soon. I've been looking at the Gretsch Catalina Maple with 22" kick as well as the Gretsch Catalina Club with 20" kick. But there isn't a store with a club kit near me so I can't even try it out. Then I started wondering if maybe there's something better out there that I'm not even thinking about. I have around $800 to spend on a kit including snare (not including everything else). I'm only going to use 1 mounted tom and I'd like the snare to not be total garbage. I'm open to new or used (if used in good condition).

I play indie rock. alt country, classic rock...music that's medium volume. I'll also be gigging when the venues open back up. I hope this is enough information to be useful. I've played music for a long time but this is my first foray into drums. Any help appreciated.

PressRoll

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is your budget for cymbals? It's a lot easier to take a subpar kit and make it sound acceptable but it's next to impossible to take cheap cymbals and make them sound good.

With that said, I would keep your eyes open for a good used drum set in your area (Yamaha, Tama, Ludwig, Mapex, Gretsch, etc) spend some money and get new heads and then spend the rest on nicer cymbals.

scott757

Reaction score
What is your budget for cymbals? It's a lot easier to take a subpar kit and make it sound acceptable but it's next to impossible to take cheap cymbals and make them sound good.

With that said, I would keep your eyes open for a good used drum set in your area (Yamaha, Tama, Ludwig, Mapex, Gretsch, etc) spend some money and get new heads and then spend the rest on nicer cymbals.
Right now I'm leaning toward the Zildjian A Rock set. I've played with a lot of drummers who had those cymbals and I always liked them. And the more YT videos I hear the more it confirms that. So I guess my cymbal budget is about equal to my drum budget because of what you pointed out.

2and4

Reaction score
Whichever brand you go with, I'd definitely get used. Your money goes much further and between ebay, craigslist, reverb, etc, you have many sources to find exactly what you want; and sometimes find better than what you want for the same money you were to spend on something new. Good luck!

scott757

Reaction score
Yamaha Tour Custom In a 4 PC config might be had new for that price. Or I'd look for a used Yamaha Stage Custom.
I've looked at these and have a searched saved to my Reverb fees for them. But they generally are just out of my price range. But definitely something I'm keeping an eye out for.

thestorysold

Reaction score
my dad actually has two Catalina maple kits (was given one by a friend for free and bought another to gig with) and he loves them. they're definitely nice sounding kits and are reasonably priced new and used.

if I were you I'd definitely go the used route. check your local facebook marketplace if you're on there. since this is your first acoustic kit your tastes may change shortly after you buy it. buying a nice used kit allows you to save money up front and shouldn't hurt you if you go to resell. whereas you'll certainly be out a few hundred dollars if you go to sell a kit you purchased new.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you closely follow your local CL and FB ads (USA only), you WILL eventually run into a quality $800 kit that is fully equipped with quality A/K Zildjians. That's the best way to buy cymbals cheaply as they will essentially be free when buying a complete set (ie a full set is typically discounted 40% or more from the individual pricing on the drums+hardware+cymbals. I've run across a couple kits in the past 2 yrs in the $800-$1000 range where the cymbals alone were worth $500-$700. But if you're in a hurry, this option might not work for you. And even if you don't love the cymbals they are easily tradeable or saleable for what you will eventually want. I picked out a $450 mint 1999 stage custom kit for my nephew 2 yrs ago....came with pro Tama/Yamaha hardware and $500 in pro A/K Zildjians/Paistes....hence drums and hardware were essentially free. Funny thing was, the seller had that kit listed for months and no one offered him more than $150 for it. In my region I see a kit of this caliber and superb pricing come along about once every 2-3 months. Early bird gets the worm.

Last edited:

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum.

What area are you in?

Here is an example of what DWSlingerland45 suggested. This is in the Youngstown, Ohio area. It gives an idea of what is possible with some patience.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

scott757

Reaction score

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Used Yamaha Stage Customs, Used Sabian AA or Zildjian As. There are deals to be had if you look.

Also surprisngly good are the late-model Tama Imperialstar kits floating around out there. I'm not crazy about the entry-level cymbals included, but that's about as close as one gets to "plug n play" in the drum world. I think that they even throw in sticks if you buy brand new.

Dan

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at the For Sale section on this forum? Lots of good deals going on right here.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How are the Stage Customs compared to the Tour Customs?
Birch Stage Customs are entry level drums with consistently good build quality and sound. Maple Tour Customs are mid level drums that are double the price, new. I haven’t played them, but, from what I’ve read, those who own them compare them to top of the line pro level drums.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I'll be buying my first acoustic kit soon. I've been looking at the Gretsch Catalina Maple with 22" kick as well as the Gretsch Catalina Club with 20" kick. But there isn't a store with a club kit near me so I can't even try it out. Then I started wondering if maybe there's something better out there that I'm not even thinking about. I have around $800 to spend on a kit including snare (not including everything else). I'm only going to use 1 mounted tom and I'd like the snare to not be total garbage. I'm open to new or used (if used in good condition).

I play indie rock. alt country, classic rock...music that's medium volume. I'll also be gigging when the venues open back up. I hope this is enough information to be useful. I've played music for a long time but this is my first foray into drums. Any help appreciated.
I recommend you buy my second kit!
22/12/14...

...No cymbals, no hardware aside from two snare drum stands (you're gonna need one for the rack tom. You can opt out of the second snare drum stand if you want).
PM me, if interested.

Elvis

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
Hard to go wrong, But of the bigger names...I am a Yamaha guy, the stage custom is the bargain of bargains.
$679.00 with a snare....and it is a good one, I have a set, and have owned most Yamaha, and currently have Recording Customs.

For short money, you get a kit that looks like 1500.00 and the same fine tom mounting system.

And welcome to the forum.

Ben