I have a 23" Gretsch Round Badge Bass Drum?

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
well...you could use 24s and lift the lugs...but a 23" head seems like less work. I've assembled a Ludwig and Ludwig and a no name odd sized bass drum with oversized heads but they had single tension tuners that don't touch the shell.

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 26" from the 50's that was painted black and when I asked about it here I was told when the badge is placed in the middle it is most likely used for orchestra / concert bands with a stand. Mine was off centered so it was from a kit. Not sure if that helps. Here is a picture of the 26" showing badge placement.
Wayne
IMG_1379.jpg

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
well...you could use 24s and lift the lugs...but a 23" head seems like less work. I've assembled a Ludwig and Ludwig and a no name odd sized bass drum with oversized heads but they had single tension tuners that don't touch the shell.

He certainly could, but he would also need new 24 inch hoops. Still, it would be a good investment because going forward, 24 inch heads will always be available, not so for 23.

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
Looks like it’s measuring 23 1/8”, not 23”. I’m betting an off the shelf 23” won’t go.
Cool drum for sure though. I’d clean it up and use it. Sounds like you have both heads? They may not hold up long if they’re intact. If you choose to tuck new ones there are several manufacturers doing calf/goat (that’d be a huge goat though...). Look here for skin prices:
http://www.sterntanning.com/percussion.htm