I have a mate who swears he's seen a drummer play four on the bass, five on the snare, six on the hi hat and seven on the ride. Is this even possible?

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
One of the fun things I have done for years is quarter notes on the right hand, while playing triplets with the left. Not musical, but a fun independence exercise.
I do that also or six-stroke in triplet then a 4/4 paradiddle while playing quarters on the hat

It's tough, I can't maintain it for very long at this point.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's added to the musicality of a trillion tunes; in this sense.
The Swing, the hinting of another meter; is where. the In the Cracks, the Lay back, the feel come from.
And.....it came a lot....from musician who were feeling it- not academically knowing- exactly.

How ever it's very simple to get a pencil and paper and with notation - write and describe out- every and any poly rhythm known possible to man.
That's not a totally useless exercise

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
It's impressive to see someone master intricate patterns, but in the end, I'm usually thinking, 'There's got to be a better use of your free time."

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My drum teacher was always working on doing that (different time signature for each appendage). This was in the 1970s. He said it was a Joe Morello thing. I don't recall if he ever mastered it. I believe the point was to develop total independence rather than for any actual musical use.

Last edited:

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Just because you can't dance to it doesn't mean it's bad music or that people won't enjoy it. People listen to all types of music for all different reasons.

Drummers practice polyrhythms for all sorts of reasons, even if they don't use them in the specific type of music that they commonly play.

So don't put down the ability to play or learn to play polyrhythms.

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can do it with a computer. :p

I wouldn't put the time in required to do it on a kit though.
I see it as kind of a novelty or parlor trick.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all of your for your replies
Peter Drake
teacher Hexham
I got pretty heavily into polyrhythms last year and it was a huge learning experience and I came up with some cool new ways to look at timing and metronome practice. I still play some of those patterns when I practice and they help me with overall timing precision and awareness.

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
yeah... this thread makes me want to revisit my 6 over 4 with a vocal chant in 5 exercise but do it with a metronome. Gonna try that tomorrow!

But on a lighter note...

(Then when I get it really solid I will try it at the local blues jam when the "blues lawyer" launches into PRIDE AND JOY)

Reactions: TPC

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I can't dance to math...I have enough math in my daytime job as an enginneer!
I think I better stay with the good ol 4 on the floor :)

I once heard someone say "Making love in 3/4 time" to describe a difficult and completely unintuitive solution to a problem that had a blatantly obvious one available.