header.nohb.html

I have a question about cymbals they play by hand in church

davidml51

Reaction score
i remember a few years back playing those in a church service.... they have the wooden handles on them also. I remember they are zildjian cymbals and looked darker brownish color,not like bright brass.... I ordered a set from sweetwater the other day 10" splash planet z.... I put the handles on them and wow they are very light and not thick at all. I can even bend them with my hand and it seems if i beat them hard they just might bend for sure.... I would love if someone knows what type they use? or maybe those cymbals i played are older ones? also the two i have, i put them both together and put the handle on them and it seems just the right weight and everything.. do you think they are having 4 cymbals and putting them together two each? would the sound still be there? any help would be greatly appreciated..

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to tell from your description but they could be many things. Hand cymbals go back hundreds of years. When I was in grade school band we had a pair of fairly thick hand cymbals to use. They were Zildjians probably from the 1950s, 12" in diameter. Nothing like a splash cymbal. About the only drum set type I can compare them to would be a pair of hi-hats. Obviously I don't know if that is what the church in question was using but my guess was an older (due to the patina you mentioned) pair of small diameter band cymbals.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^

:blink: And I thought lead singers with tambourines or cowbells was annoying....

PLEASE take that video down before some lead singer gets a(nother) bad idea. :sad5:

Thumper

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hand cymbals with handles (wood or leather) should be played with opposing up & down motions, not clapped together like hi hats. Hand cymbals with handles are generally "heavier" (e.g thicker with little taper) than stick-played. Hand cymbals played with the hand (as you would with a stick) are generally thinner.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
The wooden handles on small cymbals leads me to think that they may have been something used in a classroom with younger children. Look for classroom percussion if you do a search.

xinplaylist

Reaction score
Not an expert with cymbals here, but as far as I have seen, people usually hit them with their hands.
I have not seen such an instrument to be used in a church before, but there is nothing wrong with using them or that they make wrong sounds. Once a pastor from a protestant Baptist church said that there is nothing wrong with a way that you are praising Lord if you are doing that from your heart. Sincerity is the key to true worship, and the ones that want to praise God will find a way to do that with any instruments and tools.

Last edited:

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I remember seeing round wooden handles on old pairs of marching cymbals. Not sure about marching, but for general use I think leather straps/loops have become more popular since.
There might be some smaller marching cymbals for children, maybe 12" is the smallest.

I just remember my very first cymbals I got as a pre-schooler. They were a pair of very small hand cymbals with leather straps, "Orff" instruments. These are sold to kindergartens etc.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any pair of hi hats will work well. Band cymbals are always two different pitches. Wood handles are never used anyomore because they tend to make the cymbals crack at the holes.

When my dyslexic brother-in-law graduated college, I brought a pair of hi hat cymbals, passing a loop of rope through the holes secured by a knot on the underside. Hiding behind a bush at the outdoor ceremony when they announced his name and handed him the diploma I crashed those suckers with gusto. Everyone jumped out of their seats and look at the band as I snuck back to my car to put them back in the trunk.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
always on ebay
until they're all gone (getting close.
I imagine if you had the wooden handles you could transfer to any cymbals of your choice
get the wooden handles @davidml51
then proceed lol