I have also reached the SUMMIT!!! My new Summit Single Ply Mahogany snare!!

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do the following names have in common... Jenkins-Martin, Oriollo & INDe? They are all small boutique drum companies that found a tremendous base of support on DFO. I am doing my part to add another name to that list... SUMMIT DRUMS! I have joined Lossforgain and Mcjnic (and others I am sure) in supporting this new company with my wallet and do I have a drum to share!

I suppose it is here that I should mention that I am not even a big fan of wood snare drums (OK… put those rocks down people) preferring metal shells like copper, brass or aluminum for my snares. Of all the shell types in the market, I find single or mono-ply solid shells the most unique sounding to my ear (for wooden snares) and have always had a soft spot for historic and vintage steam bent snare drums. Recently I was hungry for the taste of mahogany having not owned a mahogany snare since selling a 1949 8X15" Ludwig & Ludwig many years ago. I always remembered that warm tone and nice snap and thought that today's contemporary snare sounds would work well with that species again. So in my research, which included the TAMA STAR solid and plied options, I contacted Gary Posey at Summit Drums based on the reviews I had read on DFO.

20210407_093924 copy copy.jpg

Gary is a small (just one guy, harder to get much smaller) shop who specializes in hand crafted, steam bent instruments from unfinished shells to complete snares and sets. While you can specify your hardware options (or send him your own) the magic is in the custom made shells. I can say it was a true pleasure to work with Gary and cannot stress how easy he made the process from the start to finish. I explained that I was looking for a 6"X14" mahogany snare with 10 lugs... after that it was 100% his option. My instruction was simply build the drum you would want to build for yourself based on that size. I placed no requirements on the hardware and went with his suggestions across the board including the solid, one piece milled lugs, snare beds and bearing edges. What you see here is the finished result of his efforts.

The wood is African Mahogany and when we discussed color, I told him I would have loved a drum made from Honduran Mahogany but as that is a protected species, could he push the color a bit more in that direction rather than the lighter brown of the African... and my goodness did he nail it! His finish is a multi-step, hand rubbed oil that absolutely glows in real life! I prefer high gloss top coats to the current trend of satin lacquers and rubbed oils, but in this case I have zero regrets... it's even prettier in real life than the photos!

20210406_203651 copy.jpg

20210406_203727 copy.jpg

The sound is what you expect from Mahogany... it's warm with a dry ring and being a single ply snare it has a very defined and focused tone. I would describe the dominate sound as "breathy" or airy. I have just started to work through it in my practice set as well as playing it at a rehearsal for my 80's pop band earlier this week. I found it to be very controlled and full while giving me a pleasant crack on the rim shot and the 2.3 double flange stick chopper cross stick is amazing as well!

This is truly a lovely instrument and I could gush on for some time about it, but in truth that does not seem fitting for Summit Drums. Gary strikes me humble craftsmen who prefers to let his work do the talking for him... a very typical northern Ohio, no nonsense type of guy and drum company. And that is just how I would describe this drum, it has the feel of a very old classic with years of legacy though it is really just a week old. I look forward to my time with this beauty and hope you will consider Summit yourself if you are in the market for a single ply snare or drum set.

You can find Gary under Gary Posey or Summit Drums on Facebook or reach him here as he is a DFO member, BUT I would not drag your feet! My snare is drum #91 and he is really gaining serious traction so I expect his backlog will increase quickly. I am confident you will not regret your own assent to the Summit!!!

Thanks for the long read and the Gary for the stunning instrument!

DSC_0249 copy.jpg

20210406_203935 copy.jpg

DSC_0255 copy.jpg

20210405_211854 copy.jpg

20210406_2036091 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Congratulations.

I particularly like that you gave the builder some basic parameters but left him to do what he felt works best.

There is wisdom in that when one is in the world of bespoke.
I was thinking the exact same thing .
Thanks guys. I was building at a very different time in the 80's and early 90's when the builder was still a trusted partner in the process. Today, the internet has changed that relationship. I like to choose a builders that I respect and let them do what they do best! I still value the skills of a good craftsman.

I

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Truly a piece of art you have there. If you get a chance to record it, please post up!

I’m in line for a June kit build myself. Can’t wait!
I will, I'm having a lot of fun with my Zoom Q2N-4K and as soon as I have the ability to upload videos I will post a few!

mikeylicious78

Reaction score
I’d love to hear your snare if or when you get a chance to record! I’d be leaping off a summit so to speak, as if I went ahead, I’d be purchasing internationally.

Wxmaggot

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely beautiful!! I'm jealous (Like many others I'm sure ) Congrats. What a great build that is!

Summit

Reaction score
What do the following names have in common... Jenkins-Martin, Oriollo & INDe? They are all small boutique drum companies that found a tremendous base of support on DFO. I am doing my part to add another name to that list... SUMMIT DRUMS! I have joined Lossforgain and Mcjnic (and others I am sure) in supporting this new company with my wallet and do I have a drum to share!

I suppose it is here that I should mention that I am not even a big fan of wood snare drums (OK… put those rocks down people) preferring metal shells like copper, brass or aluminum for my snares. Of all the shell types in the market, I find single or mono-ply solid shells the most unique sounding to my ear (for wooden snares) and have always had a soft spot for historic and vintage steam bent snare drums. Recently I was hungry for the taste of mahogany having not owned a mahogany snare since selling a 1949 8X15" Ludwig & Ludwig many years ago. I always remembered that warm tone and nice snap and thought that today's contemporary snare sounds would work well with that species again. So in my research, which included the TAMA STAR solid and plied options, I contacted Gary Posey at Summit Drums based on the reviews I had read on DFO.

View attachment 494009

Gary is a small (just one guy, harder to get much smaller) shop who specializes in hand crafted, steam bent instruments from unfinished shells to complete snares and sets. While you can specify your hardware options (or send him your own) the magic is in the custom made shells. I can say it was a true pleasure to work with Gary and cannot stress how easy he made the process from the start to finish. I explained that I was looking for a 6"X14" mahogany snare with 10 lugs... after that it was 100% his option. My instruction was simply build the drum you would want to build for yourself based on that size. I placed no requirements on the hardware and went with his suggestions across the board including the solid, one piece milled lugs, snare beds and bearing edges. What you see here is the finished result of his efforts.

The wood is African Mahogany and when we discussed color, I told him I would have loved a drum made from Honduran Mahogany but as that is a protected species, could he push the color a bit more in that direction rather than the lighter brown of the African... and my goodness did he nail it! His finish is a multi-step, hand rubbed oil that absolutely glows in real life! I prefer high gloss top coats to the current trend of satin lacquers and rubbed oils, but in this case I have zero regrets... it's even prettier in real life than the photos!

View attachment 494005

View attachment 494006

The sound is what you expect from Mahogany... it's warm with a dry ring and being a single ply snare it has a very defined and focused tone. I would describe the dominate sound as "breathy" or airy. I have just started to work through it in my practice set as well as playing it at a rehearsal for my 80's pop band earlier this week. I found it to be very controlled and full while giving me a pleasant crack on the rim shot and the 2.3 double flange stick chopper cross stick is amazing as well!

This is truly a lovely instrument and I could gush on for some time about it, but in truth that does not seem fitting for Summit Drums. Gary strikes me humble craftsmen who prefers to let his work do the talking for him... a very typical northern Ohio, no nonsense type of guy and drum company. And that is just how I would describe this drum, it has the feel of a very old classic with years of legacy though it is really just a week old. I look forward to my time with this beauty and hope you will consider Summit yourself if you are in the market for a single ply snare or drum set.

You can find Gary under Gary Posey or Summit Drums on Facebook or reach him here as he is a DFO member, BUT I would not drag your feet! My snare is drum #91 and he is really gaining serious traction so I expect his backlog will increase quickly. I am confident you will not regret your own assent to the Summit!!!

Thanks for the long read and the Gary for the stunning instrument!

View attachment 494010

View attachment 494007

View attachment 494011

View attachment 494008
Thank you for giving me a chance to build this drum for you. I very much appreciate our conversations and your insight of building.

I’m humbled by your post and for sharing it with this forum. I’ve been lucky to meet some great people over the last year or so since I started this adventure.
Gary

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for giving me a chance to build this drum for you. I very much appreciate our conversations and your insight of building.

I’m humbled by your post and for sharing it with this forum. I’ve been lucky to meet some great people over the last year or so since I started this adventure.
Gary
All true words and this will not my last Summit drum (or maybe even a set), nothing but my support for a long and successful future.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I meant to post a pic from rehearsal for fun... first time on a kit, it's maiden voyage and we made it back safe!

20210408_193928.jpg

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, nice drum!
Are the rings mahogany as well?
And what type of strainer is on it?
Love the stick choppers with the clips!

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on the new snare . An excellent choice .Gary makes wonderful drums, seeing all these snares being reviewed makes me more excited to receive my Curly maple travel kit that is in production now as I type this.
Gary is such a joy to do business with and his workmanship is top notch.

Last edited: