I have Gone Full Circle on Bass Drum Pedals. Here's my Truth

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have been playing for 50 years although music was not my primary career.

I started using a Pearl 810 in the 70's and got rid of it in the 80's when all the latest and greatest came around.
I tried them all (practically). Single pedal only. SK, Ghost, Floating Action, Swivo, Premier 252, Camco, Carolina, and everything from that era and forward to today.
Probably have bought and sold over 50 pedals and tried many more.

I play heel down and always leaned towards a direct drive or strap but preferred the latter.. Never liked the feel of chain pedals.

I went back to my Pearl 810 last year. It just felt so solid under my foot and I liked the spring on top and the easy side mount adjustment.
But just to give myself one last and final, and I do mean final shot, I purchased a DW 6000 strap for $160.

When I got it out of the box it was light, fast and smooth and I figured this may be my holy grail.
I replaced my 810 with this and practiced on it for a few days. Did all kinds of drills..trips, quads, syncopation etc.
It felt fine although the foot plate was bit narrow, it was a pain to attach to the bass and the velcro on the heel plate stuck to my rug big time.

Then I put my 810 back and did all the same exercises.. I found that my foot was more comfortable, I was able to do all the acrobatics at the same speed as the DW,
was easier to attach to the bass, had more stability, easier to adjust the spring, had a much stronger strap, gave me more control and was less fatiguing (probably due to the wider FB

So.... the DW 6000 (which in my opinion is greatly overpriced and I used for 2 days) goes on Ebay and if anyone out there has a Pearl 810 lying around please let me know and I will buy it from you

Bluenote

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve been using a Premier 6073 (Premier and their numbers...don’t mean much to me, either!) for about 10 years now, and have a second one should anything happen to the first.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
6000 series
their numbers...don’t mean much to me
Original DW 5000 Strap...... still going strong at 247,564 miles.
Perfect
for
Me me ME me Me

Had the Speed King (bought new in 73?) out the other day. Was like putting one's foot "in a box" but has it's charm and still a strong pedal. Felt like "foot in a box".

The beater is another area that makes a difference. Use the same old medium large felt- even with the DW

Last edited:

Drm1979

Reaction score
I'm still on my dw 3000 single pedal that I bought 20 years ago. I play heel up and I have a heavy foot. So far it takes everything I throw at it like a boss. Whether its light feathering for quick triples between it and my Tom's or snare or just me laying into it with a heavy 4 on the floor beat. Never had to do anything to it except replace the beater last year. I'd probably cry if it ever gives out.

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A good friend of mine is super picky about pedals, and he has owned them all. Thanks to Dennis I've gotten to try just about every new pedal that has come along in the past twenty years. He has seemed to finally settled in with the Speed Cobra, a nice pedal to be sure.

I bought my first DW 5000 pedal in the mid 1990s, and my first DW 9000 pedal four or five years later when they first came out. Since then I've picked up a couple of more DW 5000 pedals and one more DW 9000. I have one on my practice/rehearsal kit down stairs, one lived at the rehearsal room across town for several years, and I have a 9000 and a 5000 in a double pedal bag that I use for gigs.

They do what I need, I'm happy with them.

Bluenote

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
6000 series

Original DW 5000 Strap...... still going strong at 247,564 miles.
Perfect
for
Me me ME me Me

Had the Speed King (bought new in 73?) out the other day. Was like putting one's foot "in a box" but has it's charm and still a strong pedal. Felt like "foot in a box".

The beater is another area that makes a difference. Use the same old medium large felt- even with the DW
Hey, I know it’s a 6000 series, but many wouldnt know what that is!

Would have to double-check, but saw there were some on Ebay and at a glance none were ID’d that way.

On beaters, I’ve had a well-worn WFL beater on the pedal for years and like it, a LOT. The original beater, like a rock...no thanks!!!

Last edited:

hsosdrum

Reaction score
My pedal progression has been:

• Slingerland Epic (1965 — going full-circle is NOT an option)
• Premier 250 (1969; moved the Epic to my left bass drum)
• Camco (1972; moved the Premier to my left bass drum)
• Slingerland Tempo-King (1973, used the Slingerland on my right bass and the Camco on my left)
• Rogers Swiv-o-Matic (1984, Rogers' last hurrah until a couple of years ago)
• DW 5000 (1990)
• DW 9000 (2013)

The DW 9000s are the perfect pedals for me; the only ones I've ever tried that feel like extensions of my feet and ankles. The ideal blend of speed, balance, smoothness and power.

Last edited:

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I haven't been playing nearly as long you, OP, but I have to say that of all the pedals I have bought over the years, the used (125 dollars with all the cams) Pearl Eliminator Power Shifter chain drive is consistently the smoothest, best feeling pedal I own. I use the red cam and keep the spring tension loose.

greegor

Reaction score
I'm still on my dw 3000 single pedal that I bought 20 years ago. I play heel up and I have a heavy foot. So far it takes everything I throw at it like a boss. Whether its light feathering for quick triples between it and my Tom's or snare or just me laying into it with a heavy 4 on the floor beat. Never had to do anything to it except replace the beater last year. I'd probably cry if it ever gives out.
Yep, I'm happy with my dual dw 3000 too. Feels just like I'm just tapping my foot...

AustinFitz

Reaction score
I've had my eye out for an early '80s Pearl 910. I've just always wanted to try one out. They used a compression spring.

Screenshot-2018-06-08-12-34-16.png

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve used three pedals—a Speed King, a Ghost, and an Iron Cobra. The first two were sold with the kits they came with. For the last 15 years it’s been a used Cobra. I bought it because I’d heard they last forever.

When there is a backline kit I take the Cobra, but 99 percent of the time I use what’s there. With one band I rehearse with part of a band mates kid’s kit, including a no name pedal.

I’m a little embarrassed to say I’ve never adjusted any of my pedals.

I’m not nearly this cavalier with my snares or cymbals, but with pedals I just play them.

Basically, I have no foot chops. My kick technique is basic studio Fleetwood, pretty simple, so my pedal is probably my least mulled over piece of gear.

Reading this thread, I think perhaps I should pay more attention to my feet.

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've used/tried a number of pedals, including Speed King, Ghost, Swivomatic, DW5000, Yamaha, Gretsch, Pearl, Iron Cobra, Axis... to name a few. :)
But the one I get back to is the Tama Camco! Simple, smooth and reliable.
(My son's Trick is awesome but the Camco makes a. literally, smaller footprint and is easier to transport.)

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've owned countless pedals and the one I regret letting go is the ASBA Caroline .

Today I use either a WFL SpeedKing or a direct drive Yamaha Flying Dragon .

karlcrafton

Reaction score
I haven't been playing nearly as long you, OP, but I have to say that of all the pedals I have bought over the years, the used (125 dollars with all the cams) Pearl Eliminator Power Shifter chain drive is consistently the smoothest, best feeling pedal I own. I use the red cam and keep the spring tension loose.
I still have one of those (original) Eliminators, but got the Red Line also.
The main difference with the Red Line is the smoothness of the bearings. Everything else is pretty much the same.
The beater action is just a touch smother on the RL version, but THAT slight difference my have someone like or not like it.
The action on the original is a little more like a direct pedal (using the strap) vs. the RL.
When I use the original one, I LIKE that it isn't as smooth. I like the feel under my foot.

As for the Camoco someone posted. I agree! SUPER feeling pedal.

karlcrafton

Reaction score
So.... the DW 6000 (which in my opinion is greatly overpriced and I used for 2 days) goes on Ebay and if anyone out there has a Pearl 810 lying around please let me know and I will buy it from you
Here's one on eBay right now, and only $65

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
I’ve used three pedals—a Speed King, a Ghost, and an Iron Cobra. The first two were sold with the kits they came with. For the last 15 years it’s been a used Cobra. I bought it because I’d heard they last forever.

When there is a backline kit I take the Cobra, but 99 percent of the time I use what’s there. With one band I rehearse with part of a band mates kid’s kit, including a no name pedal.

I’m a little embarrassed to say I’ve never adjusted any of my pedals.

I’m not nearly this cavalier with my snares or cymbals, but with pedals I just play them.

Basically, I have no foot chops. My kick technique is basic studio Fleetwood, pretty simple, so my pedal is probably my least mulled over piece of gear.

Reading this thread, I think perhaps I should pay more attention to my feet.
I understand about the studio Fleetwood,well put BTW.
Solid on one for sure,no fancy footwork just solid and comfy for everyone.