I have Gone Full Circle on Bass Drum Pedals. Here's my Truth

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As for the Camoco someone posted. I agree! SUPER feeling pedal.
[/QUOTE]

I have tried both the orignal and Tama... They are fast and smooth but there is not enough support on the footboard IMO. It's too light

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So many; Speed King, Ghost, King Beat, Flying Dragon, DW 5000, Speed Cobra, Jojo Perfect Balance, Eliminator, Budget Sonor, Tama Classic.........and the winner is..........an old Camco. Simple, light, and feels great.

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I cannot even remember them all. I grew up on a SK. I picked one up off ebay years ago, just to see where it stood with newer equipment. Have mercy, what a difference and how far pedals have come. The thing is worse than beginner pedals made today.

Pedals by Slingerland, Zalmer, DW, Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, BOA, OffSet, Trick, Ddrum, no-name pedals/Chinese knockoffs.

And after all has been said and done my favorite pedal ends up being a renovated, modified Griffin. Of course, it was basically an empty canvas to work with at a fantastic price so, success on that experiment.

I still love my Drumnetics, though. They just have something special. Which is why I magnetized all my pedals. Can't go back to springs.

I am curious about the new Tama pedal and magnifying it but, maybe in the future.

Formula428

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've only had the ones with the kits (old mapex mars, sonor f3003, yamaha scb) and then picked up the Iron Cobra. I played the IC for years. Finally went to a DW9000 double with extended boards, and without question, the dw is miles ahead of the IC for speed, smoothness, and balance. I still have the IC for my practice kit, but I really love the dw 9000xf pedal.

karlcrafton

Reaction score
As for the Camoco someone posted. I agree! SUPER feeling pedal.
I have tried both the orignal and Tama... They are fast and smooth but there is not enough support on the footboard IMO. It's too light
[/QUOTE]
I get ya. It does have quite a bit of sway side to side in the footboard than other pedals.
The rounder chain cam changes the feel a lot too.

David M Scott

Reaction score
I’ve used three pedals—a Speed King, a Ghost, and an Iron Cobra. The first two were sold with the kits they came with. For the last 15 years it’s been a used Cobra. I bought it because I’d heard they last forever.

When there is a backline kit I take the Cobra, but 99 percent of the time I use what’s there. With one band I rehearse with part of a band mates kid’s kit, including a no name pedal.

I’m a little embarrassed to say I’ve never adjusted any of my pedals.

I’m not nearly this cavalier with my snares or cymbals, but with pedals I just play them.

Basically, I have no foot chops. My kick technique is basic studio Fleetwood, pretty simple, so my pedal is probably my least mulled over piece of gear.

Reading this thread, I think perhaps I should pay more attention to my feet.
Glad to hear your an Iron Cobra
fan. I’m 80 and still play regularly, or did until Covid 19.
Over the years I’ve played a few pedals (99% of the time heel down) but as I got older and my right knee got worse I found that the direct drive models could exact a toll on long/ 4 hour gigs. I went searching on the net and heard great things about Tama’s Cobra
Especially their unique rebound spring. So I bought one.. not cheap $275 Canadian with tax.
I opted for the 900 S (Strap drive) as I found chain drive tiring in the Yamaha I had at the time. Going Iron Cobra was the best decision I made. Granted it’s a heavy brute and there are lots of adjustments but once tuned you my liking it stayed there. And it greatly reduced the strain factor. The in 2019 I had my right/ kick knee replaced. Replacement knees are generally stiffer and less flexible and so I wondered how it would effect my kick playing.
Well the answer is/was it did but thanks to the Cobra it’s better than before. I tweaked the mainspring to next to loose, set the rebound spring to high and moved the beater a little forward and the results are better than ever. I can do all kinds of things I hadn’t done in years on the kick. So for me it’s no brainer. I might mention that I play all kinds of music. I cut my teeth on Jazz/Swing but do
Soft Rock.. love the seventies when drums “became an instrument in my opinion” but yes Virginia I have played a lot of Country and even Old Time music with fiddlers..I’m eclectic
when it comes to music genre..
At any rate the 900S lets me do all this and by switching beaters I’ve got things pretty much covered. I admit I’ve only tried a DW 500 once and found it responsive and easy on my knee but I’m totally sold on the Cobra S.
Thanks for listening to the ramblings of an “old drummer”
Keep the Beat

cruddola

Reaction score
My first pedal was a Ludwig Speed-King that came with my first kit back in 63. A Slingerland Radio-King set. Brand new in the boxes set. That thing lasted me until my brother moved from the sopranino, soprano, alto, tenor sax and flute to the drums while Uncle Sam put me in the Corps. I came home to the Tama King-Beat pedal. Wow! My Slingerlands were trashed. I'll be refurbishing them in the future. Anyhow, I came to love the King-Beat until I bought my own kit in 85. I chose the DW 5000 and have been with it since. I have two singles, a right side double and a left side double. All chain drive. The doubles have been heavily modified so that my bass drum sits dead in the middle between my feet and the snare dead between my legs. Kinda like the OFF-SET pedals of today except I made my own back in 83 modding the 5000 and Camco pedals. I don't like favoring a side. I like an even balance. The 5000 pedals are simple and mighty durable. Easily user modified to boot. I'll probably die with my feet on a set of DW5000 pedals.

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
I started on a Speed King. Had a couple different low end single chain pedals, then had an Axis A longboard. I had played a few Iron Cobras and liked them, so I got a double while using my Axis pedals as singles. I ended up selling the IC pretty quickly with a set as it immediately started to deteriorate. I've had some other mid range single chain pedals that I've sold with other sets. I currently use Mapex Raptor singles, or an older Mapex single chain double rebuilt as a direct drive with parts from a broken Raptor double pedal. I bought most of an Axis A shortboard that needs rebuilding, but my franken-raptor does well enough for now so I don't feel like spending the money to fix the Axis yet.

Everyone has different needs and different preferences. It's neat to see what everyone prefers.

Latest posts