i just love watching Senri play...

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
A good friend of mine was one of her teachers when he lived in Japan. Said she was nothing special and, from what I’ve seen - and he concurs - she’s nothing special now. Just a basher like thousands of drummers before her.
I watched the video. Could you point out the section where she’s bashing? I’m just trying to get a reference on what you mean by that.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I watched the video. Could you point out the section where she’s bashing? I’m just trying to get a reference on what you mean by that.
The first 1:18------ to a certain generation of drummer coming from a different generation-----from the start to the pause at 1:18 is considered bashing;

I didn't go any further- but just use that- to help explain- how a certain Gen sees that Playing (playing "against/with/ electric/instruments/ others)
See what I mean- she's force- then takes a pause at 1:18

See how the dynamic changes there?

then builds up again..goes back down for her solo segment around 3:30

Its actually --the piece is - -a combination of dynamic-- and lot of her playing off with and against the highly electric (to an older generation) set

then back down for Blue Rondo ala Turk...which I wonder if Morello Man got to ! ( lol....
Next piece "Flux Capacitator" yeah ..lol...Its the Electronic synth that has an older gen of drummers-some- to say Bash; Even that piece comes down in dynamic around...10:20....so It's "up" and down...build always going for "that" climax baby" (Ha.. (Cymbals crashing..lol..13:20 then double -pedal climax baby! (lol.. sweating and panting lot of smiles introductions "emotional" connections, and out.
ha! like a steamy sexual scene in a nightime soap opera...Hahaha..with sixteenth-notes and sextuplets.

Last edited:

nmosko

Reaction score
3:30-4:30 = bashing I.e. just using speed and a some diddles to beat the snot out of the many pieces of the kit.

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
Poor Senri has trapped herself in this 1987 fusion stuff. Even the drum sound! Hopefully there is a way forward for her, she seems totally dedicated to her instrument. I’d like to see her play with brushes for a change.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
The first 1:18------ to a certain generation of drummer coming from a different generation-----from the start to the pause at 1:18 is considered bashing;

I didn't go any further- but just use that- to help explain- how a certain Gen sees that Playing (playing "against electric others)

Its actually --the piece is - -a combination of dynamic-- and lot of her playing off with and against the highly electric (to an older generation) set

then back down for Blue Rondo ala Turk...which I wonder if Morello Man got to ! ( lol....
Next piece "Flux Capacitator" yeah ..lol...Its the Electronic synth that has an older gen of drummers-some- to say Bash; Even that piece comes down in dynamic around...10:20....so It's "up" and down...build always going for "that" climax baby" (Ha.. (Cymbals crashing..lol..13:20 then double -pedal climax baby! (lol.. sweating and panting lot of smiles introductions "emotional" connections, and out.
ha! like a steamy sexual scene in a nightime soap opera...Hahaha..with sixteenth-notes and sextuplets.
I guess I'm the with the different generation -

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score

I didn't go any further- but just use that- to help explain- how a certain Gen sees that Playing (playing "against electric others)

JDA: "...S
o It's "up" and down...build always going for "that" climax baby" (Ha.. (Cymbals crashing..lol..13:20 then double -pedal climax baby! (lol.. sweating and panting lot of smiles introductions "emotional" connections, and out.
ha! like a steamy sexual scene in a nightime soap opera...Hahaha..with sixteenth-notes and sextuplets."

Is this combination of words an actual attempt to express thoughts? To me, it makes no sense whatsoever. You OK?

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
She's 23 now but this video is about three years old now which would make her 20 at the time. Playing with Philippe Saisse no less. Just amazing.

Wow! She exhibits a level of musicianship at 20 that most players don’t achieve in their lifetimes.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
A good friend of mine was one of her teachers when he lived in Japan. Said she was nothing special and, from what I’ve seen - and he concurs - she’s nothing special now. Just a basher like thousands of drummers before her.
Interesting, did your teacher friend ever play with Lee Retinour and David Sanborn like Senri.

Is he on Drummerworld.com's list of the Top 500 drummers in the world like Senri?

Did he play on Bootsy Collins' album like Senri?

Is he jealous of her success?

komodobob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Interesting, did your teacher friend ever play with Lee Retinour and David Sanborn like Senri.

Is he on Drummerworld.com's list of the Top 500 drummers in the world like Senri?

Did he play on Bootsy Collins' album like Senri?

Is he jealous of her success?
I can't answer the first three questions for him, but I'm thinking the last is a YES.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
JDA: "...S
o It's "up" and down...build always going for "that" climax baby" (Ha.. (Cymbals crashing..lol..13:20 then double -pedal climax baby! (lol.. sweating and panting lot of smiles introductions "emotional" connections, and out.
ha! like a steamy sexual scene in a nightime soap opera...Hahaha..with sixteenth-notes and sextuplets."

Is this combination of words an actual attempt to express thoughts? To me, it makes no sense whatsoever. You OK?
I think it's a textual exploration of the 'McKayla not impressed meme'.

I'm starting to sense a generally negative leitmotif with young female drummers on the site.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Not that I agree that Senri is a basher. She plays what the music calls for.

However, if your friend was her teacher, he must have been instrumental in making her a basher. Students learn from their teachers.

Latest posts