I kinda got schooled today

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's actually a good idea to listen to him.

Yeah, she knew exactly what was what. Even told me she wanted the cross stick played butt out. I was warned she was tough on drummers, but I have thick skin.
I wonder if you're about to find out that she's played drums for awhile. Sounds like she might've.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell her 2008 called and wants it Gospel Chops back.
This is actually a real concern for me. I'm going to have to walk a fine line between the flash she wants and overplaying.

I've always said, most of what people call overplaying is just not really pulling it off. So I guess I'm kind of afraid of not pulling it off, lol.

It's going to take a lot of woodshedding to figure out what I'm going to put where and still keep it musical. I think I'm going to try to record myself playing all the songs.

b/o 402

Wacky old coot
Reaction score
She’s either a drummer herself, or has worked closely with excellent drummers.
Maybe both

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
She’s either a drummer herself, or has worked closely with excellent drummers.
Maybe both
Pretty sure she doesn't play anything, but she's been around a few drummers, that's for sure.

Reactions: JDA

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is actually a real concern for me. I'm going to have to walk a fine line between the flash she wants and overplaying.

I've always said, most of what people call overplaying is just not really pulling it off. So I guess I'm kind of afraid of not pulling it off, lol.

It's going to take a lot of woodshedding to figure out what I'm going to put where and still keep it musical. I think I'm going to try to record myself playing all the songs.
Maybe the thing she's looking for is not so much flash but just more emotional dynamic...which does not require overplaying.

Obviously, though, the gospel approach is a thing for some. If that's what she's looking for, then you should definitely be honest about whether or not that's something you can or even WANT to pull off. That kind of precision technique really needs to be executed convincingly.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the thing she's looking for is not so much flash but just more emotional dynamic...which does not require overplaying.

Obviously, though, the gospel approach is a thing for some. If that's what she's looking for, then you should definitely be honest about whether or not that's something you can or even WANT to pull off. That kind of precision technique really needs to be executed convincingly.

I don't think she's expecting Eric Moore, although I'm sure she'd take it! What she's looking for specifically is showmanship. And looking for the drums to provide energy and to push it over the top. Her thing is, she's an entertainer. She wants to put on a show, and some spicy drums are a required ingredient.

goodcat1337

Reaction score
I honestly wish I could find someone like that to push me. Most bands I've been in or people I've jammed with are just like "do whatever you want". And that is cool, but it would be nice to find someone that knows exactly what they want.

bbunks

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this, and I hope you'll share a video of the band when you're ready.

That kind of feedback is a gift. Everyone has opinions, but getting feedback and direction from someone with an informed point of view is rare.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Playing was OK. Just a "get to know you" session with the singer and bass player, and we're continuing towards the gig because it was gelling pretty well. Bass player was legit too. So it was really a positive day. But I brought gear and grooves to rehearsal that didn't jive with the singer. It's an R&B crossover kind of gig. We'll be playing for a predominantly black crowd (I'm white as snow for those who haven't guessed), and the music is some classic R&B, blues, and a little classic rock. I brought 13" K hats and a medium tuned Acrolite as to not take anyone's head off in the living room we were playing in. Singer first wanted more volume out of me. Put away my maple sticks brought out my hickory and laid into some rim shots. Better. Singer didn't like my snare tone, wanted a high pitched pop. (I managed to crank it up a little while guitar and bass were working on a part). Then she didn't like the sound of my hats. Playing some disco hats for "Carwash", and she just wasn't having it. Too dark sounding, the open hats just weren't doing it for her. I purposefully chose these hats for the lower volume profile, but honestly never expected anyone to care about the timbre of them. IDK, maybe I was playing them with too much of a rock mindset and the open hats were too much. And then, to top it off, I prepped for this rehearsal by listening to the songs and approached them as a "pocket" player. She doesn't like "pocket" players, and wanted me to let loose. I finally kind of figured out what she was looking for in "The Thrill Is Gone" and let some chops fly. Which she was ecstatic with. But man, what an awkward day. Coming in with some idea of what I'd be doing, leaving with a bunch of homework and figuring out how to get the sounds she's looking for. She called me personally later and told me how great I did, so there's that. But I know I've jumped into the deep end of the pool with this gig.
I had one of those, but it was the singer/guitar-player. It was the band's kit too. I was the 14th auditioned in two months. I did four one-hour sessions with that band, Diffusion, over nine days. Diffusion was an awesome and nuclear-powered band with a massive three-horn section. I wanted in on that band with a passion I've never had!! I wanted in on this dream band, Diffusion. I've always welcomed a challenge regardless of music-level the challenger. Most of the time they're right. I'm the proposing newbie. Their game, I gotta find a way to fit. It's about them. ALL of them. Nothing I did 'tuned right' for him and his singing. The rest of the band was synched to what I was doing. Not him. The WHOLE band must be on the same sentence of the same page. I was in trouble and wanted in this band. The WHOLE band has to be together online. I want to fulfill the needs of EVERYONE in the band. I just couldn't get into him, I gave everything I had in me. Not enough, and I understand the whys too. So I gave him the sticks. Gotta know when to walk away from gaining entry to a band as much as when to walk into a band. I just couldn't fulfill EVERYONE. A band has to be 100% on board with each other. Nothing less will do in my eyes and ears. I just wasn't the guy for the whole band. I accept it to this day with a host of others. A month later I was asked aboard to another band. She wasn't asking for an audition, she wanted me by recommendation. This band's name was Osmosis. I'd be an equal member. They wanted me. Puzzled the heck outta me! Who'd given me the nod? I was brand new to the Tidewater, Virginia area. Been there about three months and still playing with a Black Punk-band that was soon to disburse because two were moving for new 9-5 jobs. I already had a 9-5 job. I came from the Mexican-Arizona Sonoran Desert area. It was the same band, same genre of music (Bluesy-rock) without the 'un-tunable guitar-player! The 'un-tunable' guitarist was married to the hiring (and Queen of the band) singer/keyboardist's sister who was the manager and promoter. The Band's Queen fired her brother-in law. I did almost three years and did two 1-month European tours with Osmosis. Seven guys and a female singer on keyboards. I was the only White guy. My accent gave me away as not being a true white. At that time I was an American- Mexican with a Northern Irish accent. Ah, it was close enough, LOL! During our last week in the UK, (Cork, Ireland) we were invited to play in South Africa with all expenses paid. Gotta remember this was during the Apartheid and Nelson Mandella was busy being locked up in a cage. Blacks couldn't get foreign bands to play at Black venues. We'd be playing for the Blacks only in Black only venues. All expenses paid, no pay, but fed, housed and transported. Two weeks, five shows. Hell yes!! We did Johannesburg, Soweto and Cape Town. I stayed with a Soweto-based Preacher's loving family. Technically, in South Africa I was a "Blackie/Caffer". No problem there! Anyhow I got to play in a soon-to-be-famous drummer's stomping-grounds there. The great Anton Fig's Cape Town! Black folks weren't comfortable at the beaches of Durban, but I came handy as their 'White' ticket for a no hassle beach visit. Whoopie!!

Last edited:

drumbum91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I learned a long time ago to have thick skin and take criticism without flying hot. My role in my current group is to support the artist and his wishes. I also play guitar and sing so I understand things from a singer perspective. It has made my time in the band much more enjoyable. Good on you for being a PRO and getting it done. My guess is you will nail the gig. Preparation is key and knowing what the end goal is will be huge. Good luck to you!

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had one of those, but it was the singer/guitar-player. It was the band's kit too. I was the 14th auditioned in two months. I did four one-hour sessions with that band, Diffusion, over nine days. Diffusion was an awesome and nuclear-powered band with a massive three-horn section. I wanted in on that band with a passion I've never had!! I wanted in on this dream band, Diffusion. I've always welcomed a challenge regardless of music-level the challenger. Most of the time they're right. I'm the proposing newbie. Their game, I gotta find a way to fit. It's about them. ALL of them. Nothing I did 'tuned right' for him and his singing. The rest of the band was synched to what I was doing. Not him. The WHOLE band must be on the same sentence of the same page. I was in trouble and wanted in this band. The WHOLE band has to be together online. I want to fulfill the needs of EVERYONE in the band. I just couldn't get into him, I gave everything I had in me. Not enough, and I understand the whys too. So I gave him the sticks. Gotta know when to walk away from gaining entry to a band as much as when to walk into a band. I just couldn't fulfill EVERYONE. A band has to be 100% on board with each other. Nothing less will do in my eyes and ears. I just wasn't the guy for the whole band. I accept it to this day with a host of others. A month later I was asked aboard to another band. She wasn't asking for an audition, she wanted me by recommendation. This band's name was Osmosis. I'd be an equal member. They wanted me. Puzzled the heck outta me! Who'd given me the nod? I was brand new to the Tidewater, Virginia area. Been there about three months and still playing with a Black Punk-band that was soon to disburse because two were moving for new 9-5 jobs. I already had a 9-5 job. I came from the Mexican-Arizona Sonoran Desert area. It was the same band, same genre of music (Bluesy-rock) without the 'un-tunable guitar-player! The 'un-tunable' guitarist was married to the hiring (and Queen of the band) singer/keyboardist's sister who was the manager and promoter. The Band's Queen fired her brother-in law. I did almost three years and did two 1-month European tours with Osmosis. Seven guys and a female singer on keyboards. I was the only White guy. My accent gave me away as not being a true white. At that time I was an American- Mexican with a Northern Irish accent. Ah, it was close enough, LOL! During our last week in the UK, (Cork, Ireland) we were invited to play in South Africa with all expenses paid. Gotta remember this was during the Apartheid and Nelson Mandella was busy being locked up in a cage. Blacks couldn't get foreign bands to play at Black venues. We'd be playing for the Blacks only in Black only venues. All expenses paid, no pay, but fed, housed and transported. Two weeks, five shows. Hell yes!! We did Johannesburg, Soweto and Cape Town. I stayed with a Soweto-based Preacher's loving family. Technically, in South Africa I was a "Blackie/Caffer". No problem there! Anyhow I got to play in a soon-to-be-famous drummer's stomping-grounds there. The great Anton Fig's Cape Town! Black folks weren't comfortable at the beaches of Durban, but I came handy as their 'White' ticket for a no hassle beach visit. Whoopie!!
Do you have any videos online ??

Sonar Dave

Reaction score
Does she fill all of your needs as a vocalist? And um , is she hot? Not that it matters. Just wondering. :p

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this going to be on the test?

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
Such a cool story @Tornado! And such a rare situation to be in. Kudos to you for rolling with it and not taking anything personally.

I've got a new thing coming up that surely won't be anything like this, but I'm going to use this story as a timely reminder to try and be as open as possible to suggestions and comments if/when they come. I've been better at this at times than others I have to admit...