I know I’m not supposed to like this but I do

Tilter

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a Hardcore band that we used to play a lot of shows with way back when, and their drummer played 14" Hats comprised of a Sabian B8 Pro bottom over an old Zildjian Amir bottom...and they sounded ridiculous. They were even better on tape.

A lot of gear gets overlooked because of the label.

gretschdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There was a Hardcore band that we used to play a lot of shows with way back when, and their drummer played 14" Hats comprised of a Sabian B8 Pro bottom over an old Zildjian Amir bottom...and they sounded ridiculous. They were even better on tape.

I’d like to think I’m immune to looking at labels of gear

But I fall into that from time to time

But I’m getting better

bassanddrum84

Reaction score
I’m currently using a b8 pro top for a bottom and a thin paiste stanople as top. I also use a lot of brass and b8 cymbals after reworking them. I have this one sbr medium ride I took and lathes weight then hammered and then quenched and it’s my favorite cymbal I own out of numerous tons. It’s drier and trashy and I’m not afraid to break it and lose a ton of money.

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I nice thing about B8 is its mallable... have a ride with a little too much wash...get a ball peen hammer and give it a few love taps.
One of my favorite rides is/was a Sabian Pro 20...I had each of my kids take a few swings at it (with hearing protection) ....I've had people ask me what it is

I had a B8 Splash that I hammered a little myself...i think it sounds much better

varatrodder

Reaction score
The Pro series were pretty good cymbals. They were a step up from the standard B8 series, with better hammering and lathing.

I used a 20" Pro ride for years, and it was a great versatile ride.

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

That combination sounds like a pair of 2002 Heavy Hi Hats. Perfect for that application.

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
A lot of it depends on who's hitting it, with which touch, with which stick, with which band, in which room.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
The Pro series were pretty good cymbals. They were a step up from the standard B8 series, with better hammering and lathing.
I came to say the same thing. I think they didn't do well in stores because they were confused with the B8Pro line. But they were pretty well made and sounded good.

bassanddrum84

Reaction score
Wish zildjian and sabian would tap into the b8 alloy more like paiste did. It has great potential.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Those PRO cymbals have a following, as do the early B8Pros. I've heard hats that sounded terrific in the studio.

Dan

SKINZ

Reaction score
I play a K top from K/Z set and a Paiste 3000 Heavy bottom .....14s :cool:

bassanddrum84

Reaction score
I’m betting if sabian and zildjian took the b8 alloy the use and put it through the same process as the higher lines they would be even more amazing. I’m curious to see a over hammered b8 ride. What would they sound like going through a process k con goes through? A lot of people
Rework b8 but to that extreme I have yet to see.

cymbal.wiki

Reaction score
If you are interested in what happens to B8 when it is worked using the same care and attention as higher lines check out the work of Johan Van De Sijpe (RIP). As far as using B8 alloy goes, he was the probably most adventuresome back in the pioneer days of independent cymbal makers.

There are some examples here but they are hidden and direct links do not work. You need to scroll to the bottom, press ENTER, and then click on Before and After Sound Clips of Amateur Cymbals Recreated into Professional Cymbals

Sorry about the difficulty of access this. I'm working on getting the Johan entry for the wiki in place but the other work has taken priority.

bassanddrum84

Reaction score
If you are interested in what happens to B8 when it is worked using the same care and attention as higher lines check out the work of Johan Van De Sijpe (RIP). As far as using B8 alloy goes, he was the probably most adventuresome back in the pioneer days of independent cymbal makers.

There are some examples here but they are hidden and direct links do not work. You need to scroll to the bottom, press ENTER, and then click on Before and After Sound Clips of Amateur Cymbals Recreated into Professional Cymbals

Sorry about the difficulty of access this. I'm working on getting the Johan entry for the wiki in place but the other work has taken priority.
Some cool stuff there. I love the way b8 reworked sounds, same with brass. The real question is if zildjian and sabian put b8 through the same process as higher end how much would the sale value increase? Would it still be affordable?