VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Black Oak Arkansas Tommy Aldridge
ABSOLUTELY!!!
First example I immediately thought of.
Tommy Aldridge was/is a machine.
BOA = POS
I remember California Jam on TV....when I saw BOA, I thought...."How did that crappy band land a drummer like that?"

drums1225

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone who likes Steve Smith, but doesn't like Journey, check out Tony MacAlpine's "Edge of Insanity". Instrumental hard rock/metal with Billy Sheehan on bass and flat out smokin' drumming. It's from 1986, so the style might not be your cuppa, but definitely some "must hear" Steve Smith.

Last edited:

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
ABSOLUTELY!!!
First example I immediately thought of.
Tommy Aldridge was/is a machine.
BOA = POS
I remember California Jam on TV....when I saw BOA, I thought...."How did that crappy band land a drummer like that?"
I seen BOA at the Phone 3 Lounge in Richmond Ky in 1986 just after they released The Black Attack Is Back.
Jim Dandy was 38 years old, but I remember thinking, ‘Damn, that guy has to be in his 60’s.’
He droned on and on about Playboy Magazine calling him “rude, crude, and socially unacceptable.”
It was like he felt he had reached some pinnacle of cultural relevance with that review and he was going to tout it as his crowning achievement to that audience of 150 college kids, many of whom had likely never heard of them.
He really was the blueprint for David Lee Roth, and reminded the crowd of that as well.
He pulled out a sword and whipped it around during one song, paced the stage doing more talking than actual singing.
A friend of mine played a gig a couple years ago and opened for BOA. It was a tiny festival that was more like a field party.
Maybe 200 attendees, and my buddy said, frankly, they sucked.
He sent me photos of Jim Dandy from that night and he looked like an obese, geriatric, shirtless, drunk, and probably doing the gigs because he needed the pay.

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
I just don't focus that much on what I don't like.

And generally it's not so much about not liking something - but rather appreciating it for what it is, while recognizing that doesn't much interest me... doesn't excite me musically.

But maybe that's all just semantics...
Yeah, that's kind of what it is for me. I don't "hate" Toto or Styx, but I'm probably going to change the radio station if I'm driving around and they come on (hypothetically speaking, I don't do FM radio anymore).

JohnnyVibesAZ

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone who likes Steve Smith, but doesn't like Journey, check out Tony MacAlpine's "Edge of Insanity". Instrumental hard rock/metal with Billy Sheehan on bass and flat out smokin' drumming. It's from 1986, so the style might not be your cuppa, but definitely some "must hear" Steve Smith.

The Strorm was a better band than Journey. Steve was in it for a while, with a couple others from their former group.

Last edited:

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Love Todd Sucherman’s playing. Not a big fan of Styx. Same with Jeff Porcaro and Toto.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A coupla guys from BOA era 2016 came to a club I was playing , they knew the keyboardist a really great guy …..
Drummer and Bassist , they sat in and truly blew me away with what fantastic musicians they were . And they were just as kind an thoughtful as could be ….

But man were they the epitome of rough looking old fellas that had been on the road forever ..

JohnnyVibesAZ

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Charlie Watts

1669482633975.png

T_Weaves

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The screaming is best part. I wish more. World is broken.
Serious question: How would a band audition someone for that position in the band????? Do you advertise for a singer? a sound effects guy? a death row inmate? a drunk in a bar? I'd rather they just be an instrumental band sans the hollering. I DO appreciate the musicianship, polyrhythms, drumming etc.

Here's one for you... wait for it. :p :headbang:

Steech

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the last band I was in count?

I remember listening to some recordings we made and thinking, "I would never listen to this band if I wasn't in it."
The same goes for just about every single band that I have been in. Except for the ones that played songs that I wrote, of course. Those are all masterpieces in every imaginable way.