header.nohb.html

I like the drummer but can’t stand the band

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
There’s a video (Drumeo, I think) where Gregg Bisonette (sp?) says he’ll play and record just about anything (and he has the chops and versatility for it) but isn’t into the Cookie Monster screaming vocals in death metal. That’s a pretty good description IMO.
Cookie monster goes back a bit, I remember a thrash band I knew 40 years ago using that term along with Captain Crunch.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think the real issue with many of these is IHeartMedia/ClearChannel overplaying the living hell out of a handful of songs from a handful of bands.

I don't hate AC/DC and like the drums. If I hear one of the same 5 singles on the radio I'm going to pull my teeth out. Non-facetiously I will take any Jonas Brothers song over Back in Black just because my brain doesn't have PTSD from just hearing the guitar.
G&R, Toto, Styx, Hendrix, RHCP, Stones, Beatles are all one in the same when we have media hammering the same few songs from bands that have made more than 5.
Classic Rock radio never expanded. Alternative Rock radio can't get past Santeria, My Own Worst Enemy, Time of Your life,Whatever Everclear's single was and the 20 other songs that live on repeat on Sirius or Mainstream rock radio.
That's one reason why I haven't listened to the radio in about 30-40 years.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Cookie monster goes back a bit, I remember a thrash band I knew 40 years ago using that term along with Captain Crunch.
I always guessed Chuck Schuldiner was the original heavy metal cookie monster. Any earlier ones of interest?

DrummBumm89

Reaction score
I always guessed Chuck Schuldiner was the original heavy metal cookie monster. Any earlier ones of interest?
That's a big hole to jump down. Schuldiner is a good option. Possessed I think had the first claimed "Death Metal" Album (Seven Churches?) which predated Death's release by a couple years. Going down deep old memories here, but those two seem to be the argument I remember.

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A poor one will be replaced by the end of the first album or tour for sure. Drummers at that level are just good. Period.
….. then there are those that are good but were dismissed because of continued drug use or other issues that affected the band’s progress .

No.15

Reaction score
I don't like much Chicago that was made after Terry Kath died but I like Danny Serephine (sp?)

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It took me a while to come up with one: Tool. I really like Danny’s playing and can appreciate what it takes for the entire band to record/perform but the music never really grabbed me.

I went (somewhat reluctantly) a few years back to see them live and it was quite a bland concert.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
It took me a while to come up with one: Tool. I really like Danny’s playing and can appreciate what it takes for the entire band to record/perform but the music never really grabbed me.

I went (somewhat reluctantly) a few years back to see them live and it was quite a bland concert.
Hahaha.....one of my favorite bands. Saw them a couple years ago after the release of their newest CD.....great show!

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not a fan of the Chili Peppers at all but love Chad Smith and his playing, especially in Chickenfoot. Wish they’d do another album.
I feel the same way about Chad , he plays really well with Glenn Hughes …

Steech

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The drummer from Faith No More
Yup same here, I thought Mike Bordin (sp?) was great, and I think he played open handed. Never was a fan of FNM though I loved their cover of “Easy like Sunday Morn’”

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm the other way on that issue. E? Pretty much 90% of the band. L? Well, at least his voice was a big part of the sound. P? Good drummer but he could have easily been replaced.
Disagree. E and L did an album with Cozy Powell, which was pretty good but didn’t have the Palmer touch, which was very unique. With Cozy, who I loved in Rainbow, it was not the same and IMHO not as good. Good, just not as great as with Carl.

Last edited: