I Love Meg White. Who's With Me?

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
There's just no drummer like Meg White. Who else loves her and misses her?

Last edited by a moderator:

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
I thought she did a great job with The White Stripes. She not a trained drummer, but she plays for the song. From what I understand she had stage anxiety and almost never talked……ever.

biggator

DFO Star
Reaction score
Sorry.. something about her playing always drove me nuts. I'd be listening and just hearing her playing all over the beat.. I know it's probably intentional, but it drove me crazy like a crooked picture on the wall.

Angel

Reaction score
I think Jack pretty much told her what to play. That being said, I think she was perfect for White Stripes. Obviously it was a gimmick thing that also showcased Jack's vocals & guitar playing. I still think it was Jack's best band.

I really think for the most part you need simple backing parts to showcase the lead player. Even though I hated Buddy miles playing behind Jimi Hendrix, I think "Machine Gun" highlights Jimi's best playing.

When Jack Whites restarts The White Stripes, who should the drummer be? Realistically!
I still think Meg should be the only choice for White Stripes.

Since Jack said he will only be playing under his own name now, I would like to see a two-piece with Daru Jones. I think those two together could do a much more advance version of the White Stripes. Showcase a lot more interplay between the two of them.

Chris

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I never cared for their music.I think she's intermediate at best.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I never really "got" this band, although when Jack described her playing as this "woman caveman" thing, I began to get it. Like Grant Hart of Husker Du, you just won't get THIS kind of playing anywhere else. It's stiff and the time is all over the place, but that chaos is the whole point. It's legit and has heart. Not my cup of tea, but I respect it.
I know that Meg battled, or is battling, major anxiety...and I do not wish that on anyone.

Dan

MustangMick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Drumming with personality and recognisably her....what more can you ask as a musician?
A more technical drummer wouldn't have worked in the White Stripes. Yes the drumming is a bit chaotic but I'm really glad it wasn't all "Pro-Tooled"

Cheers
Mick

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
The first time I heard the White Stripes (no video, audio only) I knew I didn't like the band, and I especially knew I didn't like the drummer. Couldn't play her way out of a paper bag, I thought.

Later when I heard John Peel declare the White Stripes to be better than the Beatles [or something to that effect] I KNEW the world had gone to shite.

But that's just MY opinion.....

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Jack still says TWS was the best thing he's done, musical speaking, and I agree. It's about synergy, and without Meg, there was no TWS. And Meg does suffer from anxiety, so none of the restarts have panned out.

I like musical drummers, whether technical or crude. Play what's right for the song, and no more.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Just the other day my cash was refused at the grocery store because I earned it as an intermediate musician .

She fits the music and people like her . There's an innocence about her playing that's part of the whole package. Innocence and fun - two things they'd kill at Berkley real quick .

A bit o Spooky-fie-zation would take the Stripes out there to the next level . :headbang:

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you don't like the garage aesthetic, you're not going to like The White Stripes, and by extension Meg's playing. I think the effectiveness of their music would have been blunted considerably with a more polished drummer. They had the same raw intensity that garage bands did in the 1960s, and what recurred during the punk revolution in the 70s. To The White Stripes' credit, they not only carried on that tradition, they were self-conscious about creating a retro visual aesthetic that contrasted (and melded perfectly) with the raw aesthetic of their music. Nothing new musically, per se, but at least they brought back a rock sound that focused on the essentials of what made the genre great (guitar, drums, distorted blues, energy). The White Stripes (and others of their ilk) were an antidote to over-polished pop music studio creations.

Those who want to explore the musicality with less technical skill can check out: Galaxie 500, Pavement, Nigisa Ni Te, or other "naive" bands. Or pull out the original Nuggets box set to listen to the great late 60s garage era singles. This sort of music has its place, and often has more "character" than many more professional performances. I don't think this only has to do with the musical/technical debate that is raised quite often. I think there are many other aesthetic choices (by which I mean decisions of "taste") that also create the relative success - or failure - of certain recordings and performances. The White Stripes made intentional, smart, and I think well-aimed aesthetic choices, and it led to catchy, rocking tunes and considerable commercial success.