I made my own Superkick Heads!!

lcondo123

Reaction score
Talk about saving some cash. Took the original heads that came with my 28” Rogers bass drum, which are SUPER thin heads, and turned them into some DIY SuperKick heads! I have a stack of felt muffle rings that tuck into a specific type of Remo marching drum head and, using Loctite spray adhesive, attached the rings to the insides of both heads. Talk about an incredible difference. The thin heads give some serious attack, but the muffle rings bring out bottom end the heads couldn’t bring out previously. I was about to drop $100+ on two new heads for this guy, and I just got exactly what I was looking for with what I already have!

Just wanted to share my discovery with you all, I’ll try to have a sound sample soon!

Attachments

Last edited:

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That would be closer to an Aquarian Super Kick head since you’re using giant felt rings.

Good move. I bet it sounds great!

Last edited:

Pimp-a-diddle

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Super cool! Thank you for sharing. I love DIY drum fixes, and this one is super cool. If anyone else has ideas or inventions like this, please let us know!

lcondo123

Reaction score
That would be closer to an Aquarian Super Kick head since you’re using giant felt rings.

Good move. I bet it sounds great!
You make a good point... title fixed!!
I was worried they were going to take too much away from the tone of the heads, but thankfully since the heads are thin they resonate really well. The kick sounds incredible.

lcondo123

Reaction score
Super cool! Thank you for sharing. I love DIY drum fixes, and this one is super cool. If anyone else has ideas or inventions like this, please let us know!
My pleasure! I'm working on two other DIY fixes to mount the ride cymbal and rack tom to the kick drum without drilling any holes into the shell. Hoping to get the cymbal mount done by this Friday. Will post updates!

Would like to update that my felt strips came from Remo Powermax drum heads. Got them through my friend who works at a local print shop.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Cool! I normally use duct tape on the batter sides or more recently, clear packaging tape and make an 8 point asterisk depending on how much muffling I want......

lcondo123

Reaction score
Cool! I normally use duct tape on the batter sides or more recently, clear packaging tape and make an 8 point asterisk depending on how much muffling I want......
I actually annoy myself quite a bit because I don’t let myself use the usual muffling stuff like duck tape and moongel - I try to limit myself to creative uses of felt. If Aquarian can mount felt strips to their heads by using an adhesive, so can I!

Tape is always a great go-to, though. That’s a creative way of adjusting how much muffling you want, I like that!

Latest posts