"I make cymbals for people that don’t like beautiful sounds"

thenuge

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
“ I make cymbals for people that don’t like beautiful sounds.

I am a drummer. I was a drummer. When I started making cymbals I didn’t have any knowledge about how to make cymbals. But more than this I discovered that no one knows how to make hand hammered cymbals because it’s a secret trade. I mean, you cannot find any book explaining how to make a cymbal. So if you want to make your own cymbals you have to start from a piece of bronze, and then try to understand yourself what to do.

When I make a cymbal, maybe you won’t believe it, but after 20 years of making cymbals, I take the cymbal home, and while I’m having dinner, I put the cymbal on a table or chair; I put some lights on it to see all of the hammering, because I need to understand what I did. When I’m here, I finish the cymbal but to really understand the quality of the cymbal I have to use it, I have to know it, I have to play with it, I have to stay with him - with it. I say “him” because I feel like it’s a person. I can talk with him, in a way. I would really like to ask him, “what can I do for you? To find a way to perfect you.” But he can not answer - I mean I cannot understand what he’s saying. I would like to invent a software to have this kind of interaction between things and human beings.

When you choose a cymbal, for sure, the first thing you are looking at is the look. Then you try the cymbal you say “oh it sounds great”, but the look - it’s so important.

Making a comparison with human beings, it’s like a beautiful woman, but, flat, basic, I don’t know - with no charisma. Instead maybe you can find a woman with eyes like this (crossed) but, interesting. Maybe with a big soul, or big mind. I don’t know. This is the difference that I like to see in cymbals. I don’t care if the cymbal sounds perfect.

But I like a cymbal that has a special kind of sound, that you can recognize it immediately. If you try all of them other cymbals they sound more or less the same. They are all beautiful. Unique, for me is better than beautiful. And unique can be horrible, but it’s still unique. So since I prefer unique instead of beautiful, I don’t care if it’s horrible (laughs). “

- Roberto Spizzichino

Last edited:

jaymandude

Reaction score
That was great. I saw it before you edted. Whoever creates people, G_d or what have you. I'm happy they made a man like Roberto.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Roberto was a master, and wonderful human being. Thanks for putting it back up.