I may come across as a Carter Mclean fanboy but....

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Reaction score
I was made aware of his work by this forum, a few weeks back and I was blown away by his style, his sound and his general laid back attitude. So I binge watched everything CM I could find and stalked his social media a bit, followed him on Insta. Well the first pick he posted that I received a notification for was this one...
Screenshot_20200805-113609.png

I was quite hapilly surprised because I've been playing a very similar set for a few months now, a late 40's to early 50's WFL. His is a '48. I thought mine was a '51 but I was told by someone it might have been cobbled together from orphan parts.
20200805_113217_HDR.jpg
20200805_113333~2.jpg

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Reaction score
And yeah! I know my kick is packed with fleece, I've got new neighbors who are a bit more skittish about noise than the half-deaf older gentleman who used to live nextdoor. Aaaaand my stickmarks are way off-center on the snare. The snare skin is old and bears the marks of when I used to play super hard without focussing on where it lands... I drasticaly dropped my stick size and practice intensely on reducing volume and increasing precision.

The snare is a 5x14 Cleveland era Rogers Powertone. I love it. I also have the matching Holiday set in cases at the moment.

The cymbals are Istanbul Agop Mantra 15" hats and Om 22" ride. The crash is an oddball 19" Zildjian Constantinople crash-ride.

Anyway, it's a really fun kit to play, even at low skill level.

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Another fanboy here. Carter seems to me to be the perfect blend of groove, chops, sounds and wisdom with his musical choices. Definitely my favorite young lion out there. That latest pop cover he did just sent me over the edge. He's right behind Steve Jordan and Chris Whitten on my top fanboy list.

:D

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
While Carter's an Instagram phenom, he's got the legit gigs to back it up. He plays with Charlie Hunter and took over Tommy Igoe's chair on the Broadway Lion King. Plus he's just a great dude.

His video series is coming out September 1st, I can't wait.

bbunks

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I mean, there are certainly worse things to be a fan boy of! You have good taste (and really nice kit BTW).

I attended a clinic he did last Fall in Chicago. Was really great to see him play in person.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Reaction score
Thanks a lot. I wish the chops came with the kit... But the kit at least gives me motivation to work on my chops because it sounds, feels great with tons of mojo. Plus it's got history. I bought it off a friend who gigged/recorded on it for many many years. It was bought with the promise to sell it back at the same price, should he come to regret his decision. I'll try and upload some video/soundclip once I get over my impostor complex if I can find a convincing 15-20 seconds where I don't look/sound like a total idiot. ;-)

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Let's see, nice Ludwig drums, great chops, great musicianship to apply said chops, great tuning, great room to play in...plus is humble and seems like a cool dude.....I think I hate him :)