I may not want my grail ride anymore??!!!

Josh Vibert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm a simple man. I know some of you have crazy exotic grail rides, but for me it was a 22 K Con MTL. I finally got one last year after years of lusting. I bought it along with a 20 Ren. I'd had a 22 Ren in the past and didn't care for it much. The 22 MTL was money for the first few months I played it, but as I've played it more I tend to like it less. It's also worth mentioning that I tend to be a minimalist. If I'm not using a piece of gear on the regular, I don't like it sitting around. This is the main reason I only have one kit and one snare drum (and would really like to have only one set of cymbals).

My entire cymbal collection consists of:
14" 60's A hats, 814gr over 890gr - Love 'em!
20" K Con Ren - Love it!
20" K Custom Dark Ride, cracked and 3 rivets - Love it! (for the right occasions, not everything, but when it's right it's perfect)
22 K Con MTL - purpose of the thread, eh...

So my latest gig was a mix of Motown, Pop, and Country. I felt like I needed more of a true crash so I picked up an 18" Kerope, lovely cymbal in the 1200 gram range.

Here's the thing, after playing this setup, not only does this setup work for pop, but also for jazz and other things I might play. That 18 Kerope works as well as a light ride as a crash.

Bottom line question: Are there situations I'm potentially missing right now in the afterglow where I would need the 22 MTL or you think running the 20 Ren in the main spot, 18 Kerope left side, and potentially the 20 KCDR + rivets as an option when called for should cover everything?

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like a 20" main ride, even for jazz, where many seem to prefer bigger cymbals. if you personally wouldn't miss a 22" and like how your 20" cymbals feel/sound, you don't need that MTL. Another aspect is it's probably lower pitched, which can be nice, but it's a matter of taste. It might be the reason you don't like it that much anymore.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gig a 20" Bosphorus trad. ride. For jazz, moatly at home, I prefer 22's. My gig is rock, pop, blues, Americana, etc. and 20" is just fine. The 22 MTL is an incredible cymbal. I had one then got a 22 light and they were nearly the same sound so I sold the NFL.
If it doesn't work, sell or trade it.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think most of us tire of even "grail" cymbals. After awhile we always think there's something better out there and you get that itch that has to be scratched. That's why we see so many great cymbals for sale so often, guys just tire of them.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm a simple man. I know some of you have crazy exotic grail rides, but for me it was a 22 K Con MTL. I finally got one last year after years of lusting. I bought it along with a 20 Ren. I'd had a 22 Ren in the past and didn't care for it much. The 22 MTL was money for the first few months I played it, but as I've played it more I tend to like it less. It's also worth mentioning that I tend to be a minimalist. If I'm not using a piece of gear on the regular, I don't like it sitting around. This is the main reason I only have one kit and one snare drum (and would really like to have only one set of cymbals).

My entire cymbal collection consists of:
14" 60's A hats, 814gr over 890gr - Love 'em!
20" K Con Ren - Love it!
20" K Custom Dark Ride, cracked and 3 rivets - Love it! (for the right occasions, not everything, but when it's right it's perfect)
22 K Con MTL - purpose of the thread, eh...

So my latest gig was a mix of Motown, Pop, and Country. I felt like I needed more of a true crash so I picked up an 18" Kerope, lovely cymbal in the 1200 gram range.

Here's the thing, after playing this setup, not only does this setup work for pop, but also for jazz and other things I might play. That 18 Kerope works as well as a light ride as a crash.

Bottom line question: Are there situations I'm potentially missing right now in the afterglow where I would need the 22 MTL or you think running the 20 Ren in the main spot, 18 Kerope left side, and potentially the 20 KCDR + rivets as an option when called for should cover everything?
You said: “The 22 MTL was money for the first few months I played it, but as I've played it more I tend to like it less.”

Sorry to hear that. That’s not an inexpensive cymbal. And, I’m not completely surprised if you bought it new.

When I ordered my 20” K Con MTL I wasn’t happy with the sound at first. A bit clangy with unpleasant overtones. The shop owner assured me that, with use, vibration of the metal would cause it to settle into it’s ultimate sound and that cymbal rolls would help accelerate the process. Low and behold, within a few months the sound of that cymbal matured and mellowed with a dry attack and a beautiful, smokey, complex wash that I love, with a quick decay (for a ride), that doesn’t overtake the attack when played aggressively.

I had a similar but less drastic experience with my 20” K Custom Dark ride that I bought before the K Con. Liked it from the beginning. Loved it after about 5-6 months.

All this to say that you may have had the reverse experience. You liked it at first, but, as the metal settled, the soung changed into something you didn’t like.

tbird8450

Reaction score
If finances allow, take the 22" MTL off the stand for a while and replace it with something else (or just run with your remaining setup). Chances are when you come back to it you'll fall in love again.

Or, looking at it another way, how many posts have you seen here along the lines of:

"I had XYZ cymbal a while ago and sold it. Boy do I regret that."

vs

"I had XYZ cymbal a while ago and boy am I glad I unloaded that thing."?

Last edited:

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our tastes change. I used to love 22" cymbals. Now I prefer 18-20" cymbals. I've kept my best 22's though, in case I change my mind again.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
the grails are moderation.
sorry.
but you come to that no one goes straight to it
takes time.

cdrummer

Reaction score
So my latest gig was a mix of Motown, Pop, and Country.
The MTL is an amazing cymbal for certain situations (jazz, lower volume singer/songwriter, etc.) but it's not a versatile cymbal, given its low pitched/trashy character (and I find 22's to be less versatile than 20's to begin with). Your falling out of love with it may have to do with the styles you are playing right now, where it's likely not fitting in well. If you see yourself playing some 60's Blue Note style jazz in the future, hold on to it, but if you're looking for one set of versatile cymbals for many styles, it's not the best choice.