I miss big sounding late 1980s recorded drum sounds

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
We're how many posts into a thread about 80's big drums and no mention of BIB/FTATR? Since everybody is expecting something Back in Black I'll post this one - I love the huge gobs of space they leave around these huge drums in this track:

Even this ain't big enough. Needs way more decay. Still has remnants of the late 1970s/early 1980s dry and natural drum tone. I'm talking lots of reverb, all processed to the hilt! This is too dry.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
This one is a bit wetter on the reverb. Ironically this is one I was thinking about on the bass drum thread a few weeks ago and when I went back to listen - it's pretty much all beater click and not the deep whomp I remembered.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This one is a bit wetter on the reverb. Ironically this is one I was thinking about on the bass drum thread a few weeks ago and when I went back to listen - it's pretty much all beater click and not the deep whomp I remembered.

Yeah! This is good!! I like the dripping reverb on that snare!

OK, can anyone outdo the boom of this snare?!?

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Love the 1975.

Flew to London to see them in 2018.

They seem to be heavily inspired by the Talking Heads too, especially with the addition of magical Jaiy Twins dancing.

George does a killer job at backing vocals too.

I see a recurrence of the 80’s sound in general.

One of the side projects of the artist I work with is vibing in the 80’s too, and so is this Dutch artist Kimono.

Last edited:

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Its funny in a way, but I think this is kinda close to why I've had a time finding my snare sound. Not that I'm after the classic gated reverb sound, but I do think that eq and maybe even pitch shifting on more normal reverbs might actually be interesting for getting a huge fat deep concussion mortar snare while still keeping a crisp playable head with a nice buzz roll to it.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I always liked the sound Jay Schellen had with Hurricane (with Kelly Hansen who's now fronting Foreigner. Bobbi isn't hard on the eyes either).

I wasn't a huge fan of the band... but couldn't help being a fan of this tune, which had as big and in your face drum sound as any.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I realize these aren't acoustic drums, but this is the boomy snare that I love. I'm sure someone out there played acoustic drums triggered to hit a sound like this somewhere on a popular recording. Any ideas of anyone recording an acoustic snare sound this big?

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well Targalx, you knew it was only a matter of time before I posted this!
BTW, I love that first snare hit, but then the rest of the song is a more "normal" 1980s reverbed snare sound. I wish they followed through with the whole track using that intro snare reverb setting!

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
OK, this one has to qualify: patented Bob Clearmountain bombastic drum sound:

As previously heard on this album that sold a few more copies:

Although not visually depicted in this particular “live” Bryan Adams video, I have to confess that I love Mickey Curry’s playing on this Bryan Adams album and anything else he did in the ‘80s (Hall and Oates, The Cult et al).

Last edited:

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Love the 1975.

Flew to London to see them in 2018.

They seem to be heavily inspired by the Talking Heads too, especially with the addition of magical Jaiy Twins dancing.

George does a killer job at backing vocals too.
I really regret not seeing them on their last tour stop here. George is the secret weapon of that band.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Although not visually depicted in this particular “live” Bryan Adams video, I have to confess that I love Mickey Curry’s playing on this Bryan Adams album and anything else he did in the ‘80s (Hall and Oates, The Cult et al).
The Bob Clearmountain mixes are almost always incredible. And yes on Mickey Curry, too -- especially with the Cult! The "Reckless" LP is definitely Bryan's best, and Bob had a lot to do with it.

Neilrush88

Reaction score
I like the clearness of some drum sounds from 80", for example I like a lot of Hold your fire's sound from Rush.

pjmariner

Reaction score
I didn’t think much of him at the time cause he is fairly basic on the surface but I have grown to appreciate Tico Tores. He had that big fat 80s snare that still had some crack, and that dinner bell ride

for gated 80s sound, Tony Thomson was the man