I need a cut down, small set up for light jazz. Suggestions or recommendations?

robthedrummer

Reaction score
I've seen the small Tama set and some others. Just wondering which to stay away from and which ones people here like.

I have a Farmer's Footdrum single headed 20" bass drum that I bought on CL for pennies that sounds actually pretty good. I could add a matching single headed tom to it, but they are a bit pricey for single drums. For only a bit more, I could pick up a complete set of something else.

But.....are they worth it?

Thanks.

amosguy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could pick up this for DFO pricing. . .

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would recommend Tama Neo Mod, Ine Warfarer, or Twin Cities Drum Collective’s Travel Dates.

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How small? I don't care for 10" toms. So for off the shelf I would recommend the gretsch catalina 20/12/14 or with the 18. Good bang for your buck & traditional sizes.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How small? I don't care for 10" toms. So for off the shelf I would recommend the gretsch catalina 20/12/14 or with the 18. Good bang for your buck & traditional sizes.
I would recommend the Yamaha Stage Custom in bop sizes over the Catalina. JMO!

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would recommend the Yamaha Stage Custom in bop sizes over the Catalina. JMO!
You're probably right & Yamahas build quality is a bit better all around. But the catalinas are mahogany which I prefer over the birch & the last few gretsch kits I put together were really nice. ...and the bronze sparkle is gorgeous & the satin flames are cool.

rpludwig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Catalina 5-12-14-18 mahogany, recently acquired one & (surprisingly) thrilled with it....they've come a long way with that kit, even got the oft dissed snare to be useable, excellent fit/finish & good hdwr....fwiw

review here:

Last edited:

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen the small Tama set and some others. Just wondering which to stay away from and which ones people here like.

I have a Farmer's Footdrum single headed 20" bass drum that I bought on CL for pennies that sounds actually pretty good. I could add a matching single headed tom to it, but they are a bit pricey for single drums. For only a bit more, I could pick up a complete set of something else.

But.....are they worth it?

Thanks.
You like the way your Farmer's Footdrum bass drum sounds, so I'd suggest that you might simply augment that with a few other drums and you'll be set. I have an orphan Pearl Rhythm Traveler bass drum (8x20) which I often use on light coffee house/restaurant jazz gigs. I combine it with either one or two flat timbales (DW piccolo toms or a Pearl flat timbale), a snare, and a couple of cymbals and hi-hats (occasionally augmented with an LP compact conga or trash can). It gives me a very compact footprint and an acceptable sound for that type of gig. You could pick up one or two used timbales or piccolo toms fairly cheaply on ebay, CL or Reverb probably for less than another Farmer drum. Just something to consider.

TimbaleTraveler001.jpg

2014-06-19-019.JPG

IMG_9483.JPG

IMG_9515.JPG

IMG_9516.JPG

bjisteve

Reaction score

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Start with your bass drum and piece it together. It will be more meaningful and cooler.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely a great kit that has a wider tuning range than most over-priced high-end drums. My niece has a Cat kit and it is the bomb in tuning range.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You like the way your Farmer's Footdrum bass drum sounds, so I'd suggest that you might simply augment that with a few other drums and you'll be set. I have an orphan Pearl Rhythm Traveler bass drum (8x20) which I often use on light coffee house/restaurant jazz gigs. I combine it with either one or two flat timbales (DW piccolo toms or a Pearl flat timbale), a snare, and a couple of cymbals and hi-hats (occasionally augmented with an LP compact conga or trash can). It gives me a very compact footprint and an acceptable sound for that type of gig. You could pick up one or two used timbales or piccolo toms fairly cheaply on ebay, CL or Reverb probably for less than another Farmer drum. Just something to consider.

View attachment 498020

View attachment 498021

View attachment 498022

View attachment 498023

View attachment 498025
That's a killer set-up!

bbshams

Reaction score
The Yamaha Stage Custom and Tama Superstar Bop kits are great for the money. Tama Club Jam is cool too. Gretsch Catalina's are a fairly nice go-to as well, but in my experience, I can never get the bass drum sound I want out of them-- kinda thin sounding.

Depending on your budget, I think the Canopus Yaiba II bop kits are some of the best bop size drums on the market, especially in that price range. I may be a little biased though...

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Yamaha Stage Custom and Tama Superstar Bop kits are great for the money. Tama Club Jam is cool too. Gretsch Catalina's are a fairly nice go-to as well, but in my experience, I can never get the bass drum sound I want out of them-- kinda thin sounding.

Depending on your budget, I think the Canopus Yaiba II bop kits are some of the best bop size drums on the market, especially in that price range. I may be a little biased though...
I almost went for a Canopus Yaiba, until I saw what Pork Pie could do. Any sizes you might want in the wood of your choice and in any of their beautiful finishes. The work is impeccable throughout (and yes, so is Canopus) and they have a wonderful tone and sound. Priced very well for a custom, American made kit.

Pork Pie gets left out of the conversation a lot, but I would check them out and put them on your list.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not contact Gary Posey at Summit drums for a quote on a Travel kit with steambent shells of your choice ? I have him making me a steambent curly maple kit with
A 20 x 10 bass ; 12 x 6 rack Tom and 14 x 7 hanging floor Tom . I provided the hardware through drum factory direct and hoops from Stellar Hoops . It was far more affordable than I expected . It is worth the time to call and get a quote . The kit will be unbelievable like a Craviotto at a fraction of the cost .