I need a lug screw for a 1960s Japanese snare drum

KCDrumDad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do you know the thread size? You can take a tension rod to the hardware store and figure that out. Look in the metric section.

dpaulb

Reaction score
Do you know the thread size? You can take a tension rod to the hardware store and figure that out. Look in the metric section.
What I need is a screw that attaches the lug to the shell.I took a lug and a screw to a couple of shops. A M5 only screws in part way and gets stuck. A M4 is too small, a M6 is too big. I also checked with a couple of specialty screw and bolt shops who didn't have anything either. I guess I will just have to use it with only one screw holding on one of the lugs.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have the identical snare in red sparkle with a Stewart badge. I believe it was made by Pearl. A lot of those MIJ drums had odd threads on the lugs. I would agree to try some SAE screws. You might get lucky and find a close enough match.

dpaulb

Reaction score
I have the identical snare in red sparkle with a Stewart badge. I believe it was made by Pearl. A lot of those MIJ drums had odd threads on the lugs. I would agree to try some SAE screws. You might get lucky and find a close enough match.
Thank you very much! I've been wondering which 'brand' it might be.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have a similar MIJ snare - I forget the brand.....can you measure the screw? The parts on mine are metric and I have it in pieces.....I may have the right screw....

Home Depot does have a good selection of metric screws, too......they're in those large pull out cabinets. Also, try Ace Hardware, too.....take the lug and a screw with you.

dpaulb

Reaction score
I have a similar MIJ snare - I forget the brand.....can you measure the screw? The parts on mine are metric and I have it in pieces.....I may have the right screw....

Home Depot does have a good selection of metric screws, too......they're in those large pull out cabinets. Also, try Ace Hardware, too.....take the lug and a screw with you.
I went to Fastenal today and it measured to be a 10 28 about 15/32 inch long.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score

dpaulb

Reaction score

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Dpaul: That screw you found that only goes in halfway...why dont you buy that and just fill up the space with washers and be finished?.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dpaul: That screw you found that only goes in halfway...why dont you buy that and just fill up the space with washers and be finished?.
+1000
I've done this many times to avoid a hunting trip for screws.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Because without proper thread engagement it will probably fall out quickly If he intends on playing it.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well, I've done it many times and the screw has never fallen out. Its either tight or it isnt. He can also put a light dab of gorilla glue on the threads...that thing isnt going anyplace.

dpaulb

Reaction score
Well, I've done it many times and the screw has never fallen out. Its either tight or it isnt. He can also put a light dab of gorilla glue on the threads...that thing isnt going anyplace.
I will do as you say.

KevinD

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my 60s MIJ bass drum lugs. Not SAE and not any of the standard metric we know today. Somewhere I stumbled across an article on the web about Japan's industrial boom in the '60s. It took a while for everything to be standardized. Different manufacturers would use their own proprietary fasteners for different things, including drums apparently.

I retapped a couple of them to a closer SAE size, and force fitted a few others.. cleanest way is probably to retap...

dpaulb

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my 60s MIJ bass drum lugs. Not SAE and not any of the standard metric we know today. Somewhere I stumbled across an article on the web about Japan's industrial boom in the '60s. It took a while for everything to be standardized. Different manufacturers would use their own proprietary fasteners for different things, including drums apparently.

I retapped a couple of them to a closer SAE size, and force fitted a few others.. cleanest way is probably to retap...
I used a 10-24 and 2 washers. I think it will be okay.