I need a new cymbal bag

robthedrummer

Reaction score
Mine has some tears and will need replacing soon. My main gigging bag is a standard Sabian with the extra 15" pocket for hats. It's the only one I have with the extra pocket and that's why it gets used.

All my bags are 22" bags of various types and 22" cymbals have always seemed tight.

Even if you don't use 24" rides, do you like 24" bags or do you find them too big? I do like dividers, but not the big fluffy ones like protection racket has.

I like good protection, but there is 'too much' for me. I have the Reunion Blues semi-hard case, and it's an awesome bag, but it's so heavy with some cymbals in it, I typically just use it for storage.

What's everyone's favorite?

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Check out Tackle Instruments. I have a 20" Cymbal Bag, the older Cinch type and this bag is very well made. The newer Tackle Cymbal bags are backpack style.
1619004258343.png

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a mono which is very protective but bulky and adds weight. I got the Tough Traveler recently. This is a very nice bag though expensive. I like it a lot.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a 22" Zildjian bag in 2019 new and it started unraveling soon thereafter. Its my gigging carrier only because it is not used much, doesn't travel far, and has a large side pouch to hold my stick bag. I wish it had a HH side pouch as they get lost inside, and it has no compartments inside, just one large opening. Very disappointing for $70.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to concur that as much as I love their cymbals, Zildjian bags just aren’t all that.

Years ago I bought Z backpack bag after my Mono bag (and cymbals) was stolen. It was affordable and all I could expend at the time. I think I got it at Guitar Center for some kind of $40 deal.

Within a year the bottom exterior started fraying. I used duct tape and that kept it together. A little later the zipper pulls broke off and I replaced them with binder clips. After that the bottom padding was eaten away from the cymbal edges. I put some foam inside and that did the trick. After the exterior duct tape started to go I move up with a heavy application of Gorilla Tape and that settled things.

Come to think of it, I used that bag for close to 15 years quite regularly with those modifications, with no problems, so maybe I got my $40 worth….

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I try really hard not to buy GC brand stuff. If I was buying a CHEAP bag, I would probably get this one (only $30):
I bought one of the snare drum bags from this line for $20 and it's not bad at all. Has a soft inner liner too.

moosryan

Reaction score
I'm using the Ahead Cymbal Silo these days and I've been really happy with it. Keeps stuff safe, doesn't have excess weight, and holds a 24". I have a PR bag and I like it, but it doesn't have backpack strips--the fluffy dividers also hold back on the amount it can hold. Usability as a backpack is probably the most important thing for me since I'm on the go so much.

Glassman

Reaction score
I have been happy with the Protec Deluxe 24" C232. I have 2 of them.

Cymbal Gig Bag - Deluxe Series, 6-Pack | Protec (protecstyle.com)

Holds 6 cymbals with padded dividers. Large front pocket will hold a stick bag and a few other things. Even though I am playing mostly 22" rides, it is not oversized. When I do venture into using a 24" ride it fits pretty nicely whereas some other 24" cymbal bags leave the top edge pretty exposed.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have two of the black Paiste cymbal bags . They are backpack style and have dividers for nice amount of cymbals. They have good size outer pocket for Hihats ( I use 15” ) . They are very reasonably priced and I would buy one again .
The Beato Pro 1 bag with dividers looks really good as well and you just know that if Fred Beato makes it that it will be quality .

Tough Traveller makes a really great looking cymbal bag but it is quite pricey .