I need a new cymbal bag

robthedrummer

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I'm sure I'd be just fine with most of your suggestions. I pulled the trigger last night on an unknown to me bag, but it looks great and looks to have just enough of everything I want. The Tama Powerpad cymbal bag. It has some pretty thick padding on the bottom. I'm digging the green canvas. Got it from Chicago Music Exchange.
1619100465930.png

drummingbulldog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just saw an Ahead bag on drummingdeals.com that looked pretty nice. I've never used Ahead bags so I don't have a dog in the fight.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just saw an Ahead bag on drummingdeals.com that looked pretty nice. I've never used Ahead bags so I don't have a dog in the fight.
The padding on the Ahead bag is nice, but the straps are a weak point. Had both backpack straps tear out after ~18 months, not excessively loading the bag (no more than 2 rides, 2 crashes, and a set of hats at any time)

Soulfinger

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I'm sure I'd be just fine with most of your suggestions. I pulled the trigger last night on an unknown to me bag, but it looks great and looks to have just enough of everything I want. The Tama Powerpad cymbal bag. It has some pretty thick padding on the bottom. I'm digging the green canvas. Got it from Chicago Music Exchange.
View attachment 496243
Good choice!
I have, let´s see, ... three of them. Just solid, no nonsense, well made items.
I do prefer backpack style bags for taking out so I use them mainly for storage purposes, but that doesn´t do them justice. Great bags.

karlcrafton

Reaction score
I completely LOVE my 24" Beato cymbal bag.
It has the hi hat pouch, and it also has a nice pouch that holds several pair of sticks.
The hook clasps on the bag are fantastic, as are the zippers. The padding is superior also IMO.
Also, they can make something a little differently if you need too, and Fred is a great guy.
My bag has a pouch to hold the 17" Paiste Hi Hats I had at the time. It was NO issue. or problem to have the hat pouch adjusted.

I own bags from Ahead, Protection Racket, H&B, Meinl, Ludwig, Zildjian... and the Beato Bag is the best one.
I use their stick, rolling hardware and pedal bags also.
It's the Pro-1 line, which is also waterproof and rip proof.
My ONLY regret with the Beato products is that I didn't start using them 30+ years ago.

712drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I completely LOVE my 24" Beato cymbal bag.
It has the hi hat pouch, and it also has a nice pouch that holds several pair of sticks.
The hook clasps on the bag are fantastic, as are the zippers. The padding is superior also IMO.
Also, they can make something a little differently if you need too, and Fred is a great guy.
My bag has a pouch to hold the 17" Paiste Hi Hats I had at the time. It was NO issue. or problem to have the hat pouch adjusted.

I own bags from Ahead, Protection Racket, H&B, Meinl, Ludwig, Zildjian... and the Beato Bag is the best one.
I use their stick, rolling hardware and pedal bags also.
It's the Pro-1 line, which is also waterproof and rip proof.
My ONLY regret with the Beato products is that I didn't start using them 30+ years ago.
strong shoulder straps?

sternerp

Reaction score
Mine has some tears and will need replacing soon. My main gigging bag is a standard Sabian with the extra 15" pocket for hats. It's the only one I have with the extra pocket and that's why it gets used.

All my bags are 22" bags of various types and 22" cymbals have always seemed tight.

Even if you don't use 24" rides, do you like 24" bags or do you find them too big? I do like dividers, but not the big fluffy ones like protection racket has.

I like good protection, but there is 'too much' for me. I have the Reunion Blues semi-hard case, and it's an awesome bag, but it's so heavy with some cymbals in it, I typically just use it for storage.

What's everyone's favorite?
Sabian Fast 22. I like that the pocket for the top hi-hat is designed so you don't have to remove the clutch. That saves me time; mostly from crawling around on the floor looking for the parts I've dropped. It also has straps so I can carry it on my back.

fast-22_02.jpg

Jam-Man

Reaction score
I like the Ludwig Atlas Pro Cymbal bags. Those will last forever and nothing will happen to the cymbals...ever.

larold

Reaction score
I'd recommend only getting cymbal bags with reinforced bottoms. The other ones wear out on the bottom.

WILLIAM MANSELL

Reaction score
If you see one these GOT shield backpacks on the cheap, it makes an exotic cymbal bag. I got mine right after the series ended for $10. Supply your own dividers and retorts to skeptical band mates. Will accept up to 20” and has 2 computer/tablet pockets. Captain America Shield backpacks may be worth a look after the sequels lose their luster...

Attachments

JazzDoc

Reaction score
22” Humes & Berg Tuxedo line with dividers. Reinforced bottom. Cordura. Outside pockets.
Hands down, best bag. I’ve had many others, expensive leathers, you name it. These work well and last. Very water repellent.
Just my opinion.

JonnyFranchi$e

Reaction score
Glad to see the Tama bag posted here.

I got one about a year or two ago and absolutely LOVE it.

Sturdy, Cymbals fit well with nice soft dividers. (*Though I don't carry a 22. 20 is the biggest for me, so IDK how well it would hold a 22). Excellent front section for hats and smaller splashes and such - with lots of dividers there too.

When I need another I'll almost certainly get another Tama powerpad bag. I might even get another at some point for whatever cymbals are staying home - right now they're in a cheaper bag not separated well.

Highly recommended.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somebody was mentioning the cymbal bag used in Captain America and the Winter Soldier a few months ago. They were trying to figure out what it was but couldn't get a good look at it.

I just stumbled across this article.
Scroll down in the pictures. There is a great shot of Anthony Mackie holding the cymbal bag with the shield in it.

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a vintage Ms. Perc. leather cymbal bag from 1978. It is padded, no dividers, and I have used it for every gig and performance.

I also have on of the Humes & Berg enduro/plastic/abs ones that has the center bolt and spacers....never use it, but it was a gift. Maybe one day.

But the leather one is a tank.