I need a snare to hold me over...

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of refinishing a kit and snare drum, but I don't know how long it will be until I have the snare completed.

I want to buy one to hold me over.

I don't want to spend that much money, and resale value would be nice, because I'll likely be turning this one loose in a couple of months.

Just need a snare for the practice kit at home, really.

Any suggestions?

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I keep looking at this and thinking about it. It might be more than you want to spend. But if not you could put it together with the bare wood and when finished with the other and are rolling with the refinish work it wouldnt be much to take apart, finish it and sell it for almost new.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Offer that Grestch $80 and you'll own it and have it cleaned up in an afternoon.
And 5.5x14 has the depth, will work everywhere, anywhere any time any day of any season.
Die cast hoops you'll be heard and have people dancing a 1/2 mile away.

(ha! I know. It's happened..
& same shell Elvin Jones, Max Roach Art Blakey and many others used..

Last edited:

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sort of like you’re renting it, eh?
if I were in your shoes I’d try a Tama SLP 7x13 G Maple. It’s just like nothing in my stable and I’ve already owned a Piccolo. I know even used it might cost high two bills but I’ve wanted to try one. Maybe I’d lose $50 in the resale, but I’d have my curiosity quelled. The only problem would be if I liked it and wanted to keep it.

pgm554

Reaction score
For about $99 bucks when on sale get a Yamaha Stage Custom 10 lug Steel Snare Drum.
Does everything well.

thestorysold

Reaction score
you should check facebook marketplace for an Acrolite. I am not sure where you are located, but I tend to set a wide search range just to see what's out there and I am always seeing them for sale. often times it's people who don't know much, or anything, about drums so they're priced really well. if you can score one for like $60-$80 you should be able to easily make your money back, if not more depending on where you try to resell it.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Shoot the gretsch an offer

That snare will go well with your Slingerland kit when you get it all up and running...

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
it's for real..I like this one..
What's the story on those strainers? I don't know vintage Gretsch very well. Easy fix?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
What's the story on those strainers? I don't know vintage Gretsch very well. Easy fix?
I have one on my daily snare...works fine (perfect)..looks like that one...has a wrong screw (top left) may have to center it replace screw etc oil (earl)...Should be Good..

Rest of the mother will clean up with patinaed chrome (so what) Those shells sing a Tune like no other very Characterful. I can't "get away" from mine; No WFL no Ludwig can take me (for long) away from it. Once you get hooked on the Gretsch Gum Maple Die cast "ping it's one -of-a kind..

That strainer needs centered (the top/bottom aren't aligned) needs TLC, that's why he's having problems

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
you should check facebook marketplace for an Acrolite. I am not sure where you are located, but I tend to set a wide search range just to see what's out there and I am always seeing them for sale. often times it's people who don't know much, or anything, about drums so they're priced really well. if you can score one for like $60-$80 you should be able to easily make your money back, if not more depending on where you try to resell it.

Of course you don't know where D. B. Cooper is located, he's been off the grid for nearly forty-nine years...

Oh, and that Gretsch is nice. With some TLC it will be a GREAT drum.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Try to find something local. If you want to go cheap, the shipping will kill the cost of it for you. Otherwise grab that Gretsch. It’ll make a great drum for a reasonable price.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I keep looking at this and thinking about it. It might be more than you want to spend. But if not you could put it together with the bare wood and when finished with the other and are rolling with the refinish work it wouldnt be much to take apart, finish it and sell it for almost new.
Ever since you posted this snare in my piccolo snare thread, I've been really intrigued by this kit, and I was seriously thinking about it when I was searching out my snare. It looks like a nicely made all maple shell and I like the fact that I can finish it anyway I like, meaning I can make it a red sparkle, which for some reason doesn't seem to exist in the piccolo world. If it was a 3x14 or a 3x13, I would have snagged it.

Last edited:

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
1970s Pearl COB 5x14 "Stewart Copeland" snare with the simple Gladstone Strainer. Crank up the bottom head and put a Remo Coated Reverse Dot batter (die cast hoop on top, to be precise)...you will shite yourself. A set of Canopus Vintage Wires too!!! Great little cheap drum.