header.nohb.html

I need an intervention

JazzAcolyte

Reaction score
What are the signs that you’re officially drum-insane?

A. You practice when your family’s not around so they won’t know how much time you’re spending
B. You have to go from work to a wedding and you book a practice room in between so as not to miss a day’s practice
C. You pay cash at your favorite drum store so that your beloved won’t see how much you’re spending
D. You practice when you should be doing boring adult things like working

Because I am experiencing E, all of the above. I need someone to smack me upside the head, get me into a 12-step program, and restore me to the responsible adult I used to be.

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

A. You practice when your family’s not around so they won’t know how much time you’re spending
B. You have to go from work to a wedding and you book a practice room in between so as not to miss a day’s practice
C. You pay cash at your favorite drum store so that your beloved won’t see how much you’re spending

Because I am experiencing E, all of the above. I need someone to smack me upside the head, get me into a 12-step program, and restore me to the responsible adult I used to be.
Marriage? Pretty sure that’ll cure it. :(

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
You haven't reached the fork in the road and taken a solemn vow of poverty , buying that snare drum or ride cymbal instead of paying the hydro bill , trading the family cow for a handful of magic beans .

Yet .

Have you ?

It's an honest program here , among learned colleagues .

JazzAcolyte

Reaction score
You haven't reached the fork in the road and taken a solemn vow of poverty , buying that snare drum or ride cymbal instead of paying the hydro bill , trading the family cow for a handful of magic beans .

Yet .

Have you ?

It's an honest program here , among learned colleagues .

Not quite that bad yet. But give me a few months…

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I practice every day, it makes me a better drummer. I think this is a positive thing.

I played my first paying gig at age sixteen. I'm now sixty-two years old, I've played a couple of thousand gigs in the past forty-six years. (Money made gigging often went toward better gear.)

Gear? I have a LOT of drum gear. My wife is supportive, although she has been known to roll her eyes on occasion. I've been known to buy an $800 - $1000 snare drum because I'm curious about it and have not been able to find one to play in person. (Okay, this might be a little crazy.) Each different piece of drum gear has taught me something. (I've learned how shell construction, dimensions, bearing edges and hardware can affect a drum's sound. I'm still learning.)

A lot of my friends are drummers, or some other type of musician. When my wife and I married seven years ago almost half of the attendees at our reception were musicians. My wife saw me on a dating site behind a set of drums, she sent me a "wink". She knew that it was a big part of my identity from the start, she fell in love with me anyway.

My closest friend (other than my bride) happens to be a drummer who lives on Long Island. We became friends because of drumming. Pretty cool.

I used to own and run a drum forum. (I was not the best at the technical side of operating a forum, but I loved talking drums and drumming.)

I have this website up on my home computer twenty four hours a day. It is my entertainment.

I'm retired from my career, I have been known to work part time jobs from time to time since I retired. Most of that money has gone into drum gear or trips to clinics.

When my wife and I travel, she has been known to google "drum shops" in whatever town we are in. (She is very supportive.)

I had a rather horrible motorcycle accident shortly before my thirty-second birthday and a major stroke at age forty-eight. Both times the desire to return to drumming was a motivation in my recovery. Drumming was also part of my physical therapy each time.

Some might say that I'm a tad obsessive about drums and drumming, it is a big part of my life for sure.

Compared to me, you might have a mild case of drum mania. You'll be fine.

Last edited:

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
Be honest. Nobody in your position comes here seeking help to stop obsessing over drum stuff. There are therapies for that (I am told) that one may access if desired. No, you came here to brag about the depth of your obsession, knowing it would excite large amounts of envy and empathy both. Sounds to me like you're doing quite well at managing your obsession. Kudos to you. I see no problem.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score

Not seeing a problem here.

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As someone with advanced music degrees, including one in performance, I have a hard time understanding how anyone could practice too much, short of repetitive stress injury. In retrospect, I would actually trade all my undergraduate partying and loafing around for all the practice I should have been doing at the time. In fact, let's go back through junior high school on that wish. The tons of practice I've amassed did me a lot of good, and I wish I had done even more. Practice to your heart's content!

JazzAcolyte

Reaction score
Be honest. Nobody in your position comes here seeking help to stop obsessing over drum stuff. There are therapies for that (I am told) that one may access if desired. No, you came here to brag about the depth of your obsession, knowing it would excite large amounts of envy and empathy both. Sounds to me like you're doing quite well at managing your obsession. Kudos to you. I see no problem.

I am simultaneously getting a lot of joy from drumming, feeling that after many years of being a responsible adult I’m entitled to spend time and money on something I love, and feeling concerned and a little guilty about how it’s taking over my life.

Latest posts