I need help dating this 20" Old A

PressRoll

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Picked this up over the weekend and the guy I bought it from is in his late 60's and he claimed that this cymbal was from his Dad's first drum set. I asked him how old he thought is was and he said, "I think it is from the 40's" I looked on Zenstat's site but could not find this exact one but I am assuming it is some sort of trans stamp. I can see a faint USA at the bottom.

20" (rivet cluster added later)
1666 grams
Small mounting hole

Any ideas?

Attachments

Last edited:

egw

Reaction score
That looks like a trans stamp, so late 40's to early 50's. On a trans stamp, the far left and far right of the stamp are a little deeper. And it doesn't have the three dots.

If that weight is accurate, it's very thin.

curly

Reaction score
Nice looking cymbal. The stamp does have some trans stamp features but it almost looks like there dots after the U.S.A.?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Hahaha... no. I was merely using "crashability" as support for evidence that it is very light.
Could you please use the term Side-stick then, as to not illicit heart-atack aks aks aks aks, thanks ; )
"The side sticks on this are outstanding!"
"dark, low, lightning"
wait it's not an old K. Close enough!

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow. 1600g's. I would love to put some sticks on that pup! I had a 20 UFIP that was about that weight. It felt so thin. It was dry and had some crazy overtones. I bet it would have sounded better with rivets. What your's sound like?

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Paper thin beauty. Congrats. Probably the most impressive A's Zildjian ever made were the 18 and larger trans stamps in med thin to thin weights. They just ring.
Looks type 2/late 40's to me as well. Which imo is the scarcest of the 4 trans stamp sub-types. You don't usually see this one. They can go lighter than this but they're so scarce as such. Most 20 trans stamps are in the 1800-2400 range....with most right around the 2000-2200 range. Does it "melt" or fold away in your hand?

I find that 18's and smaller in paper thin to ultra thin weights sound semi-trashy, almost dullish in their attack. I haven't heard any 20's in those kinds of extremely light weights....and wondered when they take on those same characteristics. I know that at 1750 gms a 20" trans stamp still has all the bright and clangy tone of the medium thin to medium weight trans stamps. But yours might just be light enough to transition into that....though I think it would have to be as light as 1450-1500 gms to get there. Not everyone would agree they sound good that light. My 3 trans stamp 20's come in at 1775, 2137 and 2290 gms - averaging 2067.

Last edited:

TPC

Reaction score
Nice one!

I had a 15xx gram 20" Trans Stamp (sold it to Maley years ago).

It was A LOT drier than I expected.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the term I left out.....DRY. Yes indeed. Those ultra paper thin trans stamps are dirt dry as a rule. And maybe too dry for many players. I had an ultra paper thin 18" at 1180 gm last year and found it just too dry and semi-trashy for my tastes. I like ring, sparkle, and clang on mine. But there are collectors and players who are looking for that very dry sound.

PressRoll

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's hard for me to tell how dry it is due to the rivet cluster but it definitely has a dark tone to it. The rivets add a really nice top end hiss to the overall sound. It's really soft under my stick and can easily get away from me if I'm not careful. I use mainly SD2 Bolero sticks or the Peter Erskine Ride Stick. The Ride Stick brings out a really nice ping over top of the lush, dark wash where the SD2's just ever so slightly get that earthy click.

I know some of you will be disheartened to know this but the small hole was enlarged as some point to allow it to be used on modern stands. I assume it was done when the rivets were installed (late 80's the guy thought). As a side note, the rivets look to be professionally installed (possibly by Zildjian?) as they are the standard Zildjian tube rivet installed with the proper tools. I'm not bothered by either modification as it allows me to use a modern stand and I'm just a sucker for rivets anyway!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Be nice, open doors and don't ask it's age! DOH!

Nice cymbal, though. I like the thin weight - she will be a cheap date as she won't each much!

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
I've got 3 20's in the lower 1600g range. I think two are small stamps and one a 50's large stamp. Great sounding cymbals. At the Chicago show last year I sold a 20" small stamp that was between 1400-1500g.

Mike

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Dang Steve....sorry to here about the illness! Hope that you are feeling better my friend.

Mike