I need mallets for cymbals.

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I do cymbal swells a few times in my band during a normal set. I have been using some vintage Slingerland mallets for years. The material is finally splitting. Pics attached.

I can’t get my hands on anything soft enough to match these here in town. Every mallet I find is pretty hard and has a lot of attack. Usually for other percussion instruments.

I just bought some Zildjian black cymbal mallets online. I’ll know soon enough if these are good for me, but I’m curious if anyone else has a model that they really love for cymbal swells. Particularly something soft enough for low volume swells, allowing for maximum dynamics.

4E51DA8C-EE6E-49A2-B0CF-CA90C82B44AE.jpeg
970E3552-DF54-453F-8F34-2A9AB8AA90EB.jpeg
70CE7FFD-0239-40E0-94A5-257ABE8E240C.jpeg

snappy

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tympani mallets:
Vic Firth T2 Cartwheels.
pp < ff cymbals swells with hands at about the 9 and 3 o'clock positions on a Ride cymbal that will take your head off.
They should get better as they get broke in (beat them up a bit).
Your mileage may vary

Last edited:

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tympani mallets:
Vic Firth T2 Cartwheels.
pp < ff cymbals swells with hands at about the 9 and 3 o'clock positions on a Ride cymbal that will take your head off.
They should get better as they get broke in (beat them up a bit).
Your mileage may vary
“pp < ff”

Sorry for my ignorance, but can you explain this?

My hands usually play at 7:30 and 4:30 for crash cymbal swells because of distance. Crashes are on my left (above hats) and far right (just overlapping the right side of my ride).

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dragonfly percussion makes outstanding mallets.
I appreciate the recommendation. If I don’t dig what I bought, I’ll consider the “soft” version of these. Thank you.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
“pp < ff”

Sorry for my ignorance, but can you explain this?

My hands usually play at 7:30 and 4:30 for crash cymbal swells because of distance. Crashes are on my left (above hats) and far right (just overlapping the right side of my ride).
Below are the formal musical terms for loudness:

ppp = pianississimo, or very, very quiet
pp = pianissimo, or very quiet
p = piano, or quiet
mp = mezzo piano, or moderately quiet
m f *= mezzo forte, or moderately loud
f = forte, or loud
ff = fortissimo, or very loud
fff = fortississimo, or very, very loud

So, "pp < ff" means ranging from very quiet to very loud.

*There is no space between the "m" and the "f" but the forum bot misinterperets "m f" with no space as an abbreviation for a naughty phrase, so it automatically substitutes "bad person" for "m f" with no space.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use vintage Ludwig mallets. The heads look like square kick pedal felts. They work great........it's the only set I have. I use them for playing toms, too.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I really liked these Vic Firth Becken Mallets, they are really nice in the hand too. Yarn wound. I’ve also used these fir rolling on my gong. Give em a try.

Attachments

Last edited:

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Unless it's unavoidable, I don't use timpani mallets on suspended cymbals. Yarn keyboard mallets are a better choice sound-wise. If you want something that you can also use on your toms, timpani mallets that are hard felt without a softer felt covering are fine.
I've done a lot of show playing and quite a bit of orchestra playing over the years, so I've played a lot of cymbal rolls. I started out using soft timpani mallets until music directors started telling me that they could see that I was playing but couldn't hear it. It sounded fine to me because I was right next to the cymbal, but I wasn't the intended audience. I figured that playing harder was the answer, but it was hard to control and frankly, it sounded bad. I switched to yarn mallets and that solved the problem.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Below are the formal musical terms for loudness:

ppp = pianississimo, or very, very quiet
pp = pianissimo, or very quiet
p = piano, or quiet
mp = mezzo piano, or moderately quiet
m f *= mezzo forte, or moderately loud
f = forte, or loud
ff = fortissimo, or very loud
fff = fortississimo, or very, very loud

So, "pp < ff" means ranging from very quiet to very loud.

*There is no space between the "m" and the "f" but the forum bot misinterperets "m f" with no space as an abbreviation for a naughty phrase, so it automatically substitutes "bad person" for "m f" with no space.
This “bad person“ thing is a bit ridiculous huh! come on mods!!

Pedal_Pusher

Reaction score
I have never used timpani mallets for cymbal rolls and playing toms. I recommend searching eBay and Reverb for some used student model yarn or cord covered marimba or vibraphone mallets. They come in various degrees of harness, start with a medium. Like a earlier poster said mallets are expensive but the good news is that they can last forever if taken care of and can easily be recovered. You can learn how to do recovering by reading Mallet Repair by Arthur Press or looking on YouTube. I tend to use the older two step fiberglass handle mallets (Ludwig Musser and Deagan brands) but almost any mallet would work better than the larger felt timpani style mallets. The reason I use the two step fiberglass mallets is that they can also be used with the handles laid flat on the top of a conga sort of like you may have seen folks do with a ruler on the edge of a table. You move the mallet head up and let it flop while holding the shaft tight against the conga head. It starts vibrating to get a very fun sound, especially if you slide it across the conga head while it is vibrating. You can also use the butt of the mallet for cymbals and especially cymbal bells. Good luck.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started using the hard felt ends of Vic Firth SD6 swizzle sticks. It surprised me, but they are smoother than my yarn wrapped rattan mallets. Really, they are. Even one handed swells. I think the reason is that they get the cymbal moving with very little impact, vs having to hit a little harder with the yarn. But that may have to do with my cymbal choice as well, I'm playing cymbals about as thin as they get.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've always used tympani mallets, but yarn mallets sound like a good substitute. The timp mallets work better on drums for me, so I get more use out of them. So I have a pair each of hard and soft mallets in my bag. Both are by Innovative Percussion and feature persimmon handles (great balance and a nice look). Model CT-1 for soft, CT-6 for hard.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I'm not sure the brand of mine. I got them from a local bar owner after a touring band left their stick bag there and the bar owner couldn't get them back to him. However, after a couple years of use the felt was coming apart really bad, so I just bought a replacement felt and stitched it on with the included thread. Brought them back to life.

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I do cymbal swells a few times in my band during a normal set. I have been using some vintage Slingerland mallets for years. The material is finally splitting. Pics attached.

I can’t get my hands on anything soft enough to match these here in town. Every mallet I find is pretty hard and has a lot of attack. Usually for other percussion instruments.

I just bought some Zildjian black cymbal mallets online. I’ll know soon enough if these are good for me, but I’m curious if anyone else has a model that they really love for cymbal swells. Particularly something soft enough for low volume swells, allowing for maximum dynamics.

View attachment 504359 View attachment 504360 View attachment 504361

Needle and thread wont fix that up in a jiffy?

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Socks........repurpose the one(s) that remains when the other one disappears.......;)
bt
Isn’t that lost sock just up against the wall in the dryer ready to make an escape?