I need to sell a DW Collectors Set or a Mapex Saturn Jazz set. Help

Spammers

Reaction score
Hi Guys. I‘m a guitarist. I like having a set of drums to bang on. For me and for the kids. I picked up a Mapex Saturn 4 piece kit about 6 years ago and it doesn’t get played much. I bought some Sabian AA cymbals to go with it. It’s a jazz kit, with an 18“ bass. Maple and walnut on the inside of the drums. One tom mounted on the bass, and one floor tom. I like that it’s compact. Finish is a clear red.

I recently met a nice guy who was moving and sold me his DW Collectors 5 piece set from early 2000’s. It came with Custom K Zildjian cymbals. It has 3 toms, all rack mounted. Finish is a sparkly green color. Has more of a traditional 24“ bass drum.

Now I’ve already said I’m not a drummer. I do like nice instruments. I try to buy for life when I buy things. For that reason, despite all the hate for DW, I still think they sound a little better and are made nicer. I don’t like that the toms are all rack mounted. Like the simplicity of the Mapex kit with the bass mounted tom. I also like the compact size for the jazz kit.

Anyway, I really like them both. Need your help to decide. I know it comes down to sound. But I’d like your input since I’m 100% positive you know a lot more about both sets.

I think the used value of the Mapex Saturn is around $600-700. And the DW might be closer to $2k. (Would appreciate input here too as I want to sell one set).

Sorry for the crap photos! Thought it could help. The floor tom is in storage for the Mapex and the smallest tom is brand new in box for the DW. Never used, and I don’t have a mount for it, but may buy one to go on the cymbal stand.

Please give me some advice if you can. Thank you.

Attachments

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, put it in terms you understand. If you were a drummer, and kept a guitar around to noodle on, do you keep a $2000 Strat/Les Paul, or a $600-$700 MIM Strat/Epiphone?

The above scenario was sort of me about a year ago. I got a great deal on a nice Gadow (boutique) guitar made in Durham NC. Kept it for years and only noodled on it occasionally. I sold it last year and bought a snare drum that I love and play regularly. Should have done it sooner.

Your value question needs many more specifics - what are all the sizes, what are you including in the sale (hardware and cymbals are often sold separately), condition, etc.

Based on the limited description and picture, you maybe slightly low at $2k for the DW kit (although mist of this forum may tell your it’s good for firewood only). :)

Spammers

Reaction score
So, put it in terms you understand. If you were a drummer, and kept a guitar around to noodle on, do you keep a $2000 Strat/Les Paul, or a $600-$700 MIM Strat/Epiphone?
I would totally keep the Strat / Les Paul. And I’d skip Epiphone and go Gibson. I’m not totally worried about cost. I really value high quality instruments. I’ve owned Martin’s, Taylors, and a Strat (had a Les Paul that was stolen). Size is a bigger issue than cost for me, but I keep looking at them side by side and the DW kit isn’t that much bigger. Also, for small get togethers (we do a music show with friends each Xmas) the small kit is fine. Isn’t too loud. But I assume a decent drummer can play the DW’s without drowning out the party.

Your value question needs many more specifics - what are all the sizes, what are you including in the sale (hardware and cymbals are often sold separately), condition, etc.
For sizes and specs for better idea of values:

Mapex: The Mapex Saturn Manhattan 4 piece Shell Pack is the perfect set for all musical situations especially jazz. The walnut and maple 18 inch bass drum coupled with the 12 inch toms, the 14 inch floor tom and the smooth articulate 14 inch snare deliver that driving , full percussive sound.

DW Collectors Series: 12” snare, 22” kick, 10/12/14” toms all rack mounted. Includes hard cases for everything but the 10”. 5000 series kick pedals and Hi-hat stand.

Cymbals: I think I’ll sell the Sabian AA’s. It’s just a ride, hi-hat and crash set. I think the set sells for $700 on Amazon, but looks like second hand prices are really low.

Based on the limited description and picture, you maybe slightly low at $2k for the DW kit (although mist of this forum may tell your it’s good for firewood only). :)
That’s good to hear. I think I got a pretty good deal on it. And after reading your post, it kind of confirms what my gut was telling me. Keep the DW. I’ll have it for another 30 years. It’s worth it to enjoy nice instruments. And the Mapex set is definitely nice. But I think the DW is nicer. And I stumbled on a video of Dave Grohl playing a similar set and I think he’s a cool dude.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'd keep the kit that made you happiest. If they are fairly close in that comparison (say 45-55 or 55-45) I would tend to keep the lower value kit. Takes up less space too. Easier to move around. And keep the cymbals you like the most. Though cymbals are pretty easy to move at any time you like. K Customs with the jazz kit sound interesting. Resale on the Sabians is in the $250-$325 range....depending on sizes/condition. They don't move as fast as Zildjians so expect it to take a while if you want decent prices.

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree, keep what makes you happiest!

Couple more questions - is the hardware on the DW shells different? Maybe it’s just the photo, but some lugs look like chrome and some look black...? Also, are you sure that’s a 12” snare? If I looked at just the photo, I’d guess it was 5” depth and 14” diameter. Also, your initial post said the bass drum was a 24”, but the second post says 22”...? Just in case, this may help:
All these things affect value, but if you’re keeping the DWs, it’s moot. There are others on the forum that can give you a better idea of the value of the Mapex kit.

If you paid $2k for the DWs with cymbals and hardware, you indeed got a great deal! That green glass finish is very nice!

Swissward Flamtacles

Reaction score
I'd say sell the DW (pedals as a separate sale or keep them) and keep your favorite cymbals:
- you'll get more money
- the Mapex doesn't take up much space and is easy to set up for your kids. Also you said that it is "the perfect set for all musical situations"

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say keep all the cymbals. They don't take up much space, and it's often fun to mix and match. And you never know what might appeal to your ear down the road. Tastes and situations change.
On the one hand, the Mapex kit is a traditional "bop" kit,designed for primarily for jazz.
One the other, the DW has a more versatile bass drum (22"), and is probably a better over-all kit (though I'm not really a fan). If you're not concerned about re-sale, you could install legs on the 14-inch tom. You could also simply put the 12-inch on a snare stand (beware, not all snare stands will hold a 12), and ignore the 10-inch (or maybe even sell it). Then you'd have the "simplicity" of the Mapex kit.
You could also sell off the unused stands and pedals separately.
I'll say it again. Keep all the cymbals.

chillybase

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can use Inde BR3 mounts on those mounted toms to turn them into true floor toms. No drilling and you can swap it out later if you sell.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am definitely a DW homer so big surprise when I say keep the DW. If you’re only going to have one and money doesn’t matter then keep the nicer one. It’s DW’s top of the line and the Mapex is not there flagship. Keep the K cymbals to. I should add listening to me will get you in trouble.

Moonman

Reaction score
I am definitely a DW homer so big surprise when I say keep the DW. If you’re only going to have one and money doesn’t matter then keep the nicer one. It’s DW’s top of the line and the Mapex is not there flagship. Keep the K cymbals to. I should add listening to me will get you in trouble.
+1

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you're going to have a hard time finding a buyer for a Mapex bop kit, honestly. The first problem is, it's not a really low end kit, so somebody isn't going to pay what it's worth if they just want one to mess around with or stick in a practice space. The second problem is, Elvin or Tony didn't play Mapex. I think you could get it to move for $500, but it probably looks and sounds way better than a $500 kit.

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys. I‘m a guitarist. I like having a set of drums to bang on. For me and for the kids. I picked up a Mapex Saturn 4 piece kit about 6 years ago and it doesn’t get played much. I bought some Sabian AA cymbals to go with it. It’s a jazz kit, with an 18“ bass. Maple and walnut on the inside of the drums. One tom mounted on the bass, and one floor tom. I like that it’s compact. Finish is a clear red.

I recently met a nice guy who was moving and sold me his DW Collectors 5 piece set from early 2000’s. It came with Custom K Zildjian cymbals. It has 3 toms, all rack mounted. Finish is a sparkly green color. Has more of a traditional 24“ bass drum.

Now I’ve already said I’m not a drummer. I do like nice instruments. I try to buy for life when I buy things. For that reason, despite all the hate for DW, I still think they sound a little better and are made nicer. I don’t like that the toms are all rack mounted. Like the simplicity of the Mapex kit with the bass mounted tom. I also like the compact size for the jazz kit.

Anyway, I really like them both. Need your help to decide. I know it comes down to sound. But I’d like your input since I’m 100% positive you know a lot more about both sets.

I think the used value of the Mapex Saturn is around $600-700. And the DW might be closer to $2k. (Would appreciate input here too as I want to sell one set).

Sorry for the crap photos! Thought it could help. The floor tom is in storage for the Mapex and the smallest tom is brand new in box for the DW. Never used, and I don’t have a mount for it, but may buy one to go on the cymbal stand.

Please give me some advice if you can. Thank you.
It’s kind of a shame the DW kit doesn’t have a 16” floor tom, but imo it’s also a shame that the Mapex kick is so small. If you really don’t need the money right now, I’d keep the DW. Just because the bigger kick.

You could always sell all the drums, keep the cymbals and hardware you need, then buy a new/like new kit for the money. There are a lot of great new options between like $1400-$2000. I’m sure even better prices for the used stuff. It all depends on your sound/size preference.

Spammers

Reaction score
Ok, so here is an interesting update! I was looking around in the bag that I got from the guy who sold me these drums. I found these floor Tom hardware pieces...

Not my listing, but definitely the same parts. So now I’m super curious. Was the floor tom ruined by the drummer? Or was one of my toms originally a floor tom? I’m guessing one floor tom must have been ruined somehow which was the motivation for the guy selling it.

Either way I got a really good deal (I think).

He sold me the DW set with the Custom K set and all hardware along with a Roland V-Drum TD-10 Expanded drum set all for $2k. Also sold me an American Made Fender Bullet Bass for $100. So I’m really not complaining.

I kind of think I’ll keep the DW set and keep my eyes out for a decent deal on another kit. If I find something great I‘d go buy it and sell the DW to pay for it.

The Roland kit is really great for the kids, but it’s just too ugly to keep around for long, so I’ll probably sell that first, then the Mapex.

And I’ll keep all cymbals like you all suggested. Thanks for the input!