I received my dream snare drum yesterday... Just want to share it with you all...

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's the back story...

In the summer of 1974 I was 13 years old and sent away to Gretsch for a catalog, and would pore over it and stare at the pictures for hours at a time. In particular, the Gretsch 4160 G 24-Karat Gold Plated Engraved Snare Drum. Later that summer my Dad bought me my first Gretsch kit with a 4160 Chrome Over Brass snare, a beautiful looking and sounding drum. I have two of them now...

The 4160 G (Gold Plated Snare) was discontinued in the early 70s and from I understand, there aren't many in circulation. It's the one drum I've always wanted and I've seen them come up on eBay and Reverb.com only to get snagged immediately, and for crazy money. As luck would have it, during dinner with some drummer friends at the Chicago Drum Show, I mentioned I was looking for one and my pals Steve Maxwell and fellow DFO'r Mike Curotto knew someone selling one at the show. Yesterday, that drum arrived and it's truly stunning. I never thought I'd ever see one up close, let alone own one. I'm kind of speechless... I don't know if this drum will ever make it to the bandstand... it's just too beautiful...

I'm sure some of you are more familiar with this drum than I am, so I'd appreciate any insights or comments...

fullsizeoutput_51ef.jpeg
57xlxV66TWuKYDeXQ75lNA.jpg
ffJkcJ44TA2z3qoQ5Q9gaA.jpg
58VZM6t7TsmwQ2X22vjizA.jpg

Thanks,
John

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I can understand the pursuit ... that is a seriously beautiful snare drum. Congratulations on the blessing. So nice.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Fantastic, man! "The most beautiful drum in the world," they used to call it. They were right.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
WOW, Dude................that is somewhat awesome.
I had a 4160 COB but a collector in NYC just had to have it because it had the drop-G badge.
Now I own the 4169B (bronze) and love it.
Enjoy that snare -- I'd probably never let it leave the house.

Latest posts