I rule!

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
I picked up some new batters for my main snares recently, and put one on my RK tonight. I was almost afraid to, because it's been sounding really good lately (I've gotten compliments from other musicians), but the coating is mostly gone and I don't get the brush response I want. I use brushes about a third of the time in jazz settings, and really like it.

Anyway, I took off the old head without even listening to the drum first. I know. Dumb. Then installed the new head and tightened it down, testing as I went. Got it to a really good spot, but decided, "Maybe another quarter turn," and BINGO! Just what I wanted! With brush response!

My #1 snare is already packed for an outing tomorrow, but I may switch. :)

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
The title is ironic. It usually takes me a week or more to dial in a snare drum. I'll expect to tweak it some after the head stretches, but was just amazed to get close so quickly.

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's always a great feeling when a new head works on your favorite snare. Snares are sooo special to us and when you find a special one that fits your personality...sorry I'm lost for words but I know you guys know what I'm talking about.

sherm

Skyrm

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of the Slingerland Festival steel snare I bought at GC last year. When I played it in the store it had the sound that I had been searching for. The Ambassador head was pretty worn, so I had them throw in a new one for free.

I've been deathly afraid to change it, because it still sounds great, including with brushes. :)

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
I picked up some new batters for my main snares recently, and put one on my RK tonight. I was almost afraid to, because it's been sounding really good lately (I've gotten compliments from other musicians), but the coating is mostly gone and I don't get the brush response I want. I use brushes about a third of the time in jazz settings, and really like it.

Anyway, I took off the old head without even listening to the drum first. I know. Dumb. Then installed the new head and tightened it down, testing as I went. Got it to a really good spot, but decided, "Maybe another quarter turn," and BINGO! Just what I wanted! With brush response!

My #1 snare is already packed for an outing tomorrow, but I may switch. :)
A great drum is a great drum!