I saw Chickenfoot last night

vintagedrumjunky

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I saw the Chickenfoot show last night, at Dodge Theater, here in Phoenix. They tore it up. They did the entire CD, plus a little Montrose thrown in for good measure. Interestingly enough, as I am watching this show, I noticed, that Joe Satrianis' presence, single handedly, lifted the other three to greater heights, they were awsome. I recommend seeing this show if it comes through your neck of the woods.

9Lb Tongue

Oily Beau Hunk
Reaction score
I belong to this van halen forum called vhlinks and they have a Chickenfoot section. Everyone that goes gives very good reviews of the shows. I think they must come off better live because I really tried to like the CD, but it leaves me a bit cold. Not sure why. The songs just seem bleh to some degree. The playing is good, but I can't pinpoint it.

Gald you enjoyed the show.

I may go check them out...

The only complaints I here are that they wish the band would pull out some older stuff from Van Halen, but thats dumb IMHO ..Its a new band...

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I agree Blaine. I have not seen the live show but something about the album leaves a cold feeling for me. I'll probobly get stoned here but I am not that crazy about Chad Smith and really never have been. I know he can play his ass off but his playing has never done much for me. Even people say that he is a different drummer with Chickenfoot but I have heard the album and I still feel the same way. I love Michael Anthony's playing and his voice and think that he might make the show worth it for me alone. I have seen Mike with Sammy several times and it brings the show over the top for me. He seems like the coolest dude and A total pro. I think the VH brothers are out of thier tree for getting rid of him.

vintagedrumjunky

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree, the album doesn't do them justice, this is a band to see live.

scottiedoo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
all good players in their own right.. but the chickenfoot sounded like chickenshit to me... stale & stock rock riffs with the crappier of the 2 VH singers out front... not exactly breaking new ground here.. *yawn*

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
Get ready for flames.. But this is one of the very, very few venues I'd bother seeing Sammy Hagar or Michael Anthony again on. Chad Smith and Satriani are great, I'm tired of the other 2. In fact I'd rather see a duet with Smith and Satriani.

DrumminLefty

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd go see them if I had the chance. I have no problem with Chad Smith,but Tommy Aldridge would be cool,or...Denny Carmassi.

madsplash

Martin Van Nostrand
Reaction score
all good players in their own right.. but the chickenfoot sounded like chickenshit to me... stale & stock rock riffs with the crappier of the 2 VH singers out front... not exactly breaking new ground here.. *yawn*

You'r on crack. Sammy sings Roth completely under the table. Always has.

If this music makes you yawn, check your pulse.

Good old fashioned kickass rock and roll.

S

skinsman

Sammy was one of the authors of ass kicking r and r...isn't he 60 or so? Pipes like that.....holy s**t!!
Satch.........what can you say that hasn't been said.....n animal. Drums and bass.......solid and just where it needs to be.
About time.

ferguson

Pro
Reaction score
I hate to show my youth here, but when I was coming up, I really got into Chad playing on Mother's Milk when he first joined the Chili's. Listening to that stuff turned me onto Stevie Wonder, Miles, Ellington, all kinds of stuff. They would throw out something and if you had your ears on, it would make you go back and check out the history. So, with my feelings for Chad's playing, I think it would be cool to see Chickenfoot. I'll have to see if they will be touring here. Me thinks it would be better live for sure!

It's been years, but I used to have this Satriani record that had a military type drum intro and outro...I think it was Bozzio or Bissenette on drums. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I'll have to find that!

Did they do "Can't Drive 55"?

Monty

DFO Master
Reaction score

You'r on crack. Sammy sings Roth completely under the table. Always has.

If this music makes you yawn, check your pulse.

Good old fashioned kickass rock and roll.

You accuse the man to be on Crack simply because his opinion differs from yours? Strange......

Den

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'll have to check them out if they get near Detroit. I for one enjoy a good old rock and roll show. Satch brings this up a notch with his (out there) playing. Michael is a great bass player, and did himself a justice by getting over the VH taboo (being "their" bass player). You can tell he wanted to branch out long ago. VH bringing in Sammy on vocals added a certain flavor that the band needed to boost them up. Chad was and will probably always be a solid rock drummer. Put all this together and you have a pure Rock & Roll outfit, I think that's what they were aiming for. Their audience will be large because the music will be appealing to many who are looking for just that thing, me included.

drumboss164

drumboss164
Reaction score
hell I like the chickenfoot, but I will say that when V.H. was in Little Rock AR.
Roth was great and he was singing his ass off, as a matter of fact it was the best
I'd ever seen him perform.

however I have always liked Sammy and this band has it going on

did they do Space Station # 5 ?

vintagedrumjunky

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They did Bad Motor Scooter, which might have been a little predictable. It would have been nice to hear Space Station #5 or Rock The Nation.

DrumBob

DFO Star
Reaction score
I heard a few cuts off the CD. I don't understand what the fuss is about. It's all been done before. It's cool that the CD is selling-I'm all for guitar-based rock-but maybe I'm just too jaded.